Thread: Advanced shelter building

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Default Advanced shelter building

Too bad they dont' have any pictures of it before they razed it:

http://www.wtop.com/139/3324611/Mans...elter-is-razed

Goog

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I take exception to the wording of the article.

If the man had a 150'x150' foot shelter he had resided in for 9 years he was not "homeless"!

He simply did not own the land on which he was residing.

One must consider the fact that squatting in an area, building an shanty, making improvements on that shack and finally having traditional rights to the property is a Latin American custom.

It creates a situation where a slum evolves into a middle class district over the course of time rather than the American system where property devalues over time and goes from middle class to slum.

Apparently he was on a right of way and not private property. We have several places locally where the highway hobos camp along the interstate in brushy patches where no one will see them. A couple of years ago they found skeletal remains in a tent, hidden from view along the roadside, and they still have not identified the man. He died of natural causes and was not found for about two years. He was only 25 yards off I-75 and about 100 yards from the Home Depot.
    Come to the dark side, we have pudding.

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

I'm surprised he was there for 9 years without getting chased off. I've ridden my bike on the Mt. Vernon trail, near where he was. it's urban, not rural. He would have been noticed by the police long ago.

Goog

Blog Entries

I reckon the key to being low profile, is to be low profile! This I would file under the 'fail' category.

EB

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogamooga View Post
    Too bad they dont' have any pictures of it before they razed it:

http://www.wtop.com/139/3324611/Mans...elter-is-razed

Goog
    I would have like to see thatr as well.....I can remember the hobo camps by the rail road tracks as a kid......pretty elaborate, and were constanly being torn down....then showed up again a a few weeks.

I have often thought these people are truely survivors and many live like that because they want to.

Case in point is the "blue bus guy" down by the river, out area or cabin is in....has been there for a lot of years, and was just kicked off the land last summer.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27