Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mud houses

Quote Originally Posted by rezmut View Post
    I'm a prepper-and this is going to be my main hideyhole when/if everything goes south,so I don't want to post regular pix;I will see if I can figure out a way to do pictures and change or chop the background for opsec purposes.
    Avoid the aerial shots and the shots from across the fields. Close shots of your brick making process and wall construction won't divulge your location.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No offense but if you are on the reservation aren't there older Hopi available that have experience with this? I was under the impression that the adobi type house was the standard home for the Hopi for generations? Has the practice/knowledge been lost?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

04-29-62
    not quite the middle of nowhere-but you can see there from here

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No offense but if you are on the reservation aren't there older Hopi available that have experience with this? I was under the impression that the adobi type house was the standard home for the Hopi for generations? Has the practice/knowledge been lost?
    The traditional Hopi house is made from "flat rock",mortered with adobe mud,and this has largely been replaced by cement blocks,just as a typical Navajo hogan is now made from plywood or OSB.

Adobe buildings are far more commen in areas where there is a spanish influence,and here,spanish are still considered the enemy-as in,they celebrate "Pueblo Revolt day" instead of Columbas Day.

Rick,if you would like to see pictures of some traditional Hopi homes,check out the "Moenkopi,Az"sight,it has some shots taken in the lowwer village,which considers it's self"traditionalist".
    Last edited by rezmut; 05-26-2013 at 03:24 PM.

That's why I referenced the older folks. I've been to both the Navajo and Hopi nations within the last couple of years so I'm familiar with current building trends. I'm not familiar with the historical building methods however. Perhaps the Hopi Cultural Center at Second Mesa can point you in the right direction. I would think they have on site or access to individuals with the knowledge you are looking for.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yep, wasn't asking for pictures of your location, just the process. But feel free not to.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Yeah, you know your family adheres to OPSEC if your kids salute their grandparents but refuse to divulge what they did in school that day.

04-29-62

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Yep, wasn't asking for pictures of your location, just the process. But feel free not to.
    No,I've descided I want to-just need to figure out how to do this.lol(I'm not the most computer literate pup in the litter.lol)
    Rick-it's cool that someone has actualy been out here-did you by any chance stop at the Tuuvi travel center at Tuba City?(I was working there a couple years ago)

How far is that from the nearest road?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

04-29-62

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    How far is that from the nearest road?
    The travel center? Junction of US160,and Az hwy264-just on the south edge of Tuba City.

We did not make it that far north. We took 87 north out of Winslow and then east on 264 to First Mesa. That's as far as we went. Wasn't much to write home about but we were just out for a drive. We did stop in Second Mesa at the museum then back south on 87 and back to Flagstaff. I had rented a Mustang in Pheonix. I didn't realize there were as many unpaved desert roads as there were in AZ. We hit one place outside of Pheonix and there was a huge sign that said Paved Road Ends Here. They weren't lying. It was sand the rest of the way.

Blog Entries

I had rented a Mustang in Pheonix.
    Clearly a man of discriminating taste.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

We did not make it that far north. We took 87 north out of Winslow and then east on 264 to First Mesa. That's as far as we went. Wasn't much to write home about but we were just out for a drive. We did stop in Second Mesa at the museum then back south on 87 and back to Flagstaff. I had rented a Mustang in Pheonix. I didn't realize there were as many unpaved desert roads as there were in AZ. We hit one place outside of Pheonix and there was a huge sign that said Paved Road Ends Here. They weren't lying. It was sand the rest of the way.
    LOL, they don't fool around out west, they just kinda figure know what you are doing if you made it that far.

Went thru a construction area......big high wheeled pick up truck with a sign that said "Follow Me".....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

04-29-62

If you saw the cultural center and museum,you saw most of what there is to see-besides a whole lot of nothing.lmao
    Out here you can't follow a GPS-it'll try to tell you that it's a road when it's not even a good goat path-spent 12 hours a while back getting some pakastanie(or some such-hardly spoke english)semi driver turned around and back on a real road-took 8 guys,2 big wreckers and a backhoe.

I talked to my father in law about adobe(he's 93),he just laughed and said"that's a mexican thing".
    Last edited by rezmut; 05-26-2013 at 08:27 PM.