Thread: speaking of paracord.....

Default speaking of paracord.....

My wife just made a decision that made me proud She told me today that she wants to start making paracord belts bracelets etc. It seems like it could be a cool hobby for her so I want to encourage it. I know many of you make paracord stuff on here and was wondering where I might turn to purchase some cord for the wife. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking more bulk supply, but then again.....maybe I should start out slow with this one ;D

Well good for her....That's nice of her.

DW used to do macrame back in the '70's and 80's....all sorts of stuff....belts plant habgers, hammocks.......but with cotton cord or twine.

Tried to get her to do it with paracord....and she says she is over it now.....dang it.
    I'm still needing a few rifle slings........

I get mine paracord for either Sportsmans guide or Cheaper than dirt, I don't use that much of it.....but I'm sure there are much better sources.....
    Did ya Google it?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

www.supplycaptain.com is a good place to start. There are tons of sites on the internet to reference. I make my own paracord stuff that I sell.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 05-17-2013 at 03:00 PM.

About the cheapest place to buy is on ebay, for paracord and buckles
    Life member NRA
    Life member Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Live member A.F.& A.M. (Masonic Lodge)
    Big Bore Air Rifle Shooter

1000ft rolls is the way to go! Don't worry you'll use more than she will!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Hobby Lobby has a nice assortment of paracord.
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/crafts-ho...ng/?perpage=36

This is no doubt a crafting type paracord, not mil-spec. The price is good considering no shipping charges. When combined with the 40per cent off they have in the sunday papers it is a bargain.
    The star knot zipper pull and the larger of the 2 round pulls were made using Hobby Lobby paracord. Tony

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

mrparacord.com there haveing a sall right now 100 ft for 4.50$ and free shipping

Cool stuff there asemery!! Thanks everyone for the replies! DW indeed found a great deal on e-bay for 1000' reels.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyt View Post
    mrparacord.com there haveing a sall right now 100 ft for 4.50$ and free shipping
    Wow, that is a great deal!

There are two types of paracord on the market; commercial and authentic. I see no reason to invest in authentic paracord for her hobby since it's about twice the price of commercial. Here's a post I made several years ago. The prices will be higher of course be all other information is still valid.

"There are a lot of variations on paracord. Many meet official military specifications for their required use and many don't. However, there are generally two types that you will see for sale. MIL-C-5040 Type III and 550 Commercial Type III.

MIL-C-5040, from a wholesale perspective, is about twice the price of 550 Commercial. That's why you often see such a wide variation in price. You can expect to pay in the $45+ range forCommercial 550 for a 1000 foot spool and in the 75+ range for MIL-C-5040 for a 1000 foot spool (retail). The cost, of course, depends on manufacturer and the retailer's markup but that will put you in the ballpark. It even gets more confusing because the minimum breaking strength for 550 Commercial varies by manufacturer. Some are as low as 250 pounds while others will certify theircommercial cord at 550 pounds, the same as MIL-C-5040 Type III.

If you want some cordage for field use (that's what this forum is about, right?) then 550 Commercial Type III should be sufficient. Not certain why anyone would want to pay the additional money for genuine MIL-C-5040 just to replace a boot lace or to be able to carry some thread or fishing line. Is MIL-C-5040 better that 550 Commercial? Probably, depending on manufacturer. It won't shrink nearly as much because it goes through a shrink process for coloring (except the natural or white color). The 550 Commercial will shrink more because it's a solution dyed material. Regardless of what you hear, paracord shrinks although the amount of shrinkage in MIL-C-5040 is negligible. But the 550 Commercial is still tough as nails, lightweight, and less expensive. Folks seem to have it in their heads that if it isn't MIL-C-5040 then it must not be quality material and that's just not true. Granted, I wouldn't want my parachute canopy strung with 550 Commercial Type III but 550 CommercialType III for use outdoors is just fine and should excel for general cordage use. Not convinced? Buy some of each and field test it. I'll bet quality 550 Commercial meets all your needs and then some.

I would shy away from paracord with less than seven inner strands and certainly bypass any that has internal fibers rather than strand. The whole purpose of taking the stuff with you is to have as much cordage as possible and why carry paracord with five inner strands when you can carry seven for the same price? For a ten foot piece of paracord that's 60 feet vs. 80 feet (inner strands + outer sheath).

Just look for cord that has seven inner strands and you will "probably" have the 550 Commercial Type III. Look at the add closely, if it says "meets MIL-C-5040 requirements", "Just like MIL-C-5040", etc. then you probably have 550 Commercial.

An add that says Type III paracord really doesn't tell you anything. Neither does 550 pound rated or 550 Type III. Either type could qualify. If you have any questions, ask your retailer for specifics. They should be able to furnish it including whether or not the cord is certified as MIL-C-5040 and/or the minimum breakage rating. If they can't, find another retailer. Just be wary if they tell you it's 550 Commercial and it has a minimum breakage rating of 550 pounds. That may not be the case unless it is certified at that weight. They may be sincere in their belief but they may also be very wrong. You might also want to ask where the paracord is manufactured and if the manufacturer is a current U.S. military provider. A U.S. based manufacturer that supplies the military must meet stringent specifications and that quality usually overlaps to their commercial products. It's expensive to retool just to make different qualities.

Paracord, even MIL-C-5040 was not designed, and it should not be used, for climbing or rappelling. While its uses are many and varied, it does not contain the same properties and safety characteristics as climbing rope. Paracord is not fine-tuned for the optimum combination of weight, number of falls, impact force, elongation, handling and durability that is found in commercialclimbing ropes. Ropes designed primarily for sport climbing must provide a soft catch and be durable, while not having too much elongation. Paracord does not provide any of these features. That is not what it is designed for. Don't put you life at risk by misusing paracord to climb or rappel with.

Now, a note on survival bracelets. You can find a lot of survival bracelets in two tone or even three tones. To make a bracelet in two tones, MOST braiders use two five foot pieces and fuse them together (someone is sure to tell me they don't do it that way. Fine). What you wind up with is two five foot pieces, which means you have shorter inner strands. If that isn't a concern for you and you are more interested in the look, then two tone may be a good choice. If, however, you want as much continuous cordage as you can conveniently carry, then choose a one color bracelet. Again, if you have any questions, ask the braider before you buy.

Wikipedia has a nice article on MIL-C-5040. Just Google paracord wikipedia and it should come up."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick!! I checked out Safe Zone and you have some good stuff there. Good info, I was wondering why my 550# paracord broke the last time I was dragging out a 180# deer with it. Lol, I guess it wasn't really rated for 550#

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmark View Post
    Thanks Rick!! I checked out Safe Zone and you have some good stuff there. Good info, I was wondering why my 550# paracord broke the last time I was dragging out a 180# deer with it. Lol, I guess it wasn't really rated for 550#
    Double it up. and tie it to a stick......kinda cuts your hands.......I like plain old closeline or a tow strap.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Double it up. and tie it to a stick......kinda cuts your hands.......I like plain old closeline or a tow strap.
    Yup! Thanks hunter. Always tie it to a stick and drag behind my back (learned that lesson the hard way) But from now on it will be doubled up!!

To Rick, re: your post on 5-20. Thanks for that very good info. I've also noticed that some paracord is labled "550" as if it were the product number, not its tensile strength. I saw a video of controlled lab testing of genuine vs. cheap copy paracord. Very enlightening. Of the several tests on the real 550, none broke at less than 550#, and one piece went to 630# before breaking. Good Stuff! As for the cheaper copies, all test pieces broke around 200# +/-. Now, that's not to say the "knock-offs" are totally useless. They are good for lighter duty applications. I just wouldn't expect it to match the real 7 strand 550.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmark View Post
    Yup! Thanks hunter. Always tie it to a stick and drag behind my back (learned that lesson the hard way) But from now on it will be doubled up!!

Or better yet....have your 23 year old nephew drag it out...."I'll carry the guns...the truck is about a mile that way....take your time, don't get sweated up, or you will get cold later".

You can get away with this a few times.......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Or better yet....have your 23 year old nephew drag it out...."I'll carry the guns...the truck is about a mile that way....take your time, don't get sweated up, or you will get cold later".

You can get away with this a few times.......
    Lol, Now that's good thinking ;D

I get mine from a site called campingsurvival.com. They have many different kinds and colors. They sell 50ft up to 3000ft rolls.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.