Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the dandelion stem edible?

I wouldn't eat it. There might be some harmful chemicals so no, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcooley View Post
    I wouldn't eat it. There might be some harmful chemicals so no, thanks
    Hmmm.... How many harmful chemicals do you think are in the produce section at the grocery store?

I don't think he's picking it on the front lawn of the Monsanto plant.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In Korea dog and dandelion go great to gather.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

I'm hoping you mean like a fire hydrant. 'Cause otherwise..............
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

bigroynow

hello everyone i new to this i want to learn about this stuff tho because you never know whats happening to the us

It's not even about survival. There are a lot of plants that are nutritious and have excellent flavor that you can add to dishes every day through the summer. Some stuff in winter too but the pickin's are slim. Veggies, fruits, berries and fungi. All sorts of stuff.

bigroynow

i have been reading online about ediable plants and i didnt know you could eat dandillion

In a salad, fried up as fritters and even as a coffee substitute. That will get you started.

To help with the bitterness of many herbs--dandilion, prickly lettuce, sow thistle, etc--mix in some sorrel with the greens. They're lemony-flavored, and the two seem to mix well. The stems of the sorrel are more juicy than the leaves.
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

I wouldn't eat it. There might be some harmful chemicals
    In most lawns and yards, people are prone to spray strange things on the plants. Next to a roadway, there could be automotive chemicals. For the most part, though, the woods are free of all those things.
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

the aboringinals used to collect dandelion roots and they would bake the in holes in the ground where they would melt half down into a sweet dark coloured juice.

Banned

Default "Dang pilgrim weed", I say that when I pull them in yard

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    In a salad, fried up as fritters and even as a coffee substitute. That will get you started.
    Rick is correct also several other uses…

Some folks have blames these blasted weeds on the American/British Pilgrims but who knows some dang Europeans they ARE invasive non-native weed!!!
    But with many "edible" uses. A bitter herb before a meal increases your appetite read about it in the Torah (Moses wrote 1000s years ago.)

more information here "We Came over on the Mayflower, Too!":
    http://eattheinvaders.org/we-came-ov...mayflower-too/

"Americans spend more than $500 million each year fighting a losing battle with weeds like dandelions (Taraxacum officinale) that stubbornly crop up in their yards. They could save a lot of money and avoid a lot of chemicals by taking a cue from early colonists, gathering the tender, young leaves for salad and the golden blooms for flower wine. There are numerous exotic species–relished in their native lands but abundantly ignored here–that require no sowing or garden plots. European brought many of their favorite herbaceous plants to North America, where they quickly took root. Some were intentionally introduced as garden plants; others arrived as weeds in soil or livestock fodder."

http://eattheinvaders.org/weeds/

My silly theory is that the pilgrims wanted to spend more time reading the Bible and Praying so brought this weed over to save time, and had no clue about native plants and sure as heck were not going to ask for instructions from the savage, pagan indigenous people already living there. Heck NO!

That's my wise A$$ theory and I'm sticking to it!

given the fact that dried dandilions cost about 25,dollars a,lb it would be good to have a mound of sand say 12yds worth
    to plant dandilion,burdock and other medicinal plants where harvesting the root is important.
    the looser the soil the easier for them to grow and thus maximize root lengh and for harvest.
    in japan gobo or9BURDOCK) IS USED IN SOUPS AND OTHER DISHES. DANDILION ROOTS DRIED 25,OO A LB.

DOG IS REAL BIG IN ASIA NUMBA WON CHOP CHOP.
    IN pi, it,s blackdog adobo
    korea,kalbi dog
    vietnam.numba won chop chop.
    i,m just saying

Banned

Default Cash crop destroyed due to vanity and ignorance

Ya should have seen the hundreds of dandelions in the front lawn of my property when I purchase it from a Bubba about 23 years ago. If only I had known I cudda dried and sold them for $25/lb I would have put up a few strands of aluminum wire and electrified it to keep out the hound dogs. Don't want them diggn', peen' and shippn' on my cash crop. LOL

As it was my wife was mortified to be living in such a "Bubba" homestead and sent me to the local hardware store to purchase some herbicide to eradicate this pilgrim cash crop. Oh well, financial windfall lost. Now my kids will need to go to State school not Yale or Harvard. Dog gone it!

Edit: Also the neighbors, complained more about the electric fence zapping their tiny dogs and small children reaching for the pretty white dandelion white balls than the fact that they are invasive weeds, so I had to eventually take it down or pay the city a big fine… OH that is just a joke not actually true, ha ha ha.

Had'ta search all over the internet for it but finally find the photo someone posted of a muppet attempting to cross my electric fence to steal my crop of d'lions:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That was the last time that lil' monkey suit dressed fool messed with my cash crop of goodness. ha ha ha

Actually he is holding one 110VAC line with electrical sparks photoshopped in. If it was real he would be holding one or more "hot" ariel lines and the bottom neutral "return" line. A squirrel pet monkey of mine did that once, had to knock it down with a bamboo pole. It was stealing neighbor stash of fruit or something I think. OH well dang monkey stank, spread out on the wires and stiff like that freaked out my sister, females are SOOOO sensitive.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-08-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: silly joke

You can parboil the greens if they are too bitter.

Yes they are, and the flowers are delicious dipped in batter and deep fried !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I find the flower pretty bland. To each his own.

I read somewhere that the roots can be roasted and ground up and used as a coffe substitute,pretty sure there is no caffeine but.....