Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Bag question!!!!

Default Air Bag question!!!!

I seem to have remover my bumper from my jeep !!! ( read ripped it off ) while loading it onto my trailer!!! I have air bags in my jeep!!! the battery was not hooked up. My question is when i hook up my battery are my air bags going to go Poof !!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

There should be a breaker for your airbags. Remove that first.

Goog

Just make sure you get some video of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat! View Post
    Just make sure you get some video of it.
    LOL yeah that could be entertaining!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

No, the sensor on the pumper is an "impact" sensor. That sensor has to be connected and be subject to a sudden 15-25MPH (depending on make/model) decrease to deploy the airbags. With the sensor detached, the only thing that should happen is that you have an airbag dummy light on.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Blog Entries

Check on-line for a breaker, a secondary switch, and the location of the sensor itself. My Mustang has THREE separate modules that control the air bags. I'm betting that the Jeep ain't much different.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    With the sensor detached, the only thing that should happen is that you have an airbag dummy light on.

Does it look like this? Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Check on-line for a breaker, a secondary switch, and the location of the sensor itself. My Mustang has THREE separate modules that control the air bags. I'm betting that the Jeep ain't much different.
    I did just that and there are 2 breakers and a relay. I will remove all of them and just deal with the light. I guess Ill be making a diamond plate bumper sooner than i thought!

Does it look like this? Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Ken Isnt that a HOT AIR BAG dummy?

How long was the battery disconnected? I've also heard that for a few hours, maybe days, after a battery is disconnected, the air bags can still deploy. If the battery wasn't disconnected for long, I wouldn't think you'd have much to worry about if the air bags didn't deploy when the sudden jar first happened.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

What year and trim Mustang do you have? It should only have one airbag module, although it does receive some input from the ECM.

Blog Entries

What year and trim Mustang do you have? It should only have one airbag module, although it does receive some input from the ECM.
    '96 Cobra SVT. Brought it in because the supposedly disabled factory alarm began to have conflicts with the aftermarket (CompuStar) alarm and remote start (5 speed compatible) which was causing the car to stall and shut down, even at high speeds. (But NEVER over 65mph ) The problem sent the entire electronics package into convulsions, with gauges and everything else acting like the car was possessed. The mechanics told me they disconnected EVERYTHING, including the 3 air bag units, because something or another was crossed over, and they didn't want to have a $2,000 misstep before they fixed the mess. Turns out that the problem was with the CompuStar itself....
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Hey Welder! Crash is slipping!!!! LOL! He moved my reply to this post.....

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Ken Isnt that a HOT AIR BAG dummy?
    .... but HE FORGOT TO MOVE THE IMPORTANT ONE!

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    How long was the battery disconnected? I've also heard that for a few hours, maybe days, after a battery is disconnected, the air bags can still deploy. If the battery wasn't disconnected for long, I wouldn't think you'd have much to worry about if the air bags didn't deploy when the sudden jar first happened.
    Battery has been out for a few months.

Hey Welder! Crash is slipping!!!! LOL! He moved my reply to this post.....

.... but HE FORGOT TO MOVE THE IMPORTANT ONE!
    Yeah I saw that!!

'96 Cobra SVT. Brought it in because the supposedly disabled factory alarm began to have conflicts with the aftermarket (CompuStar) alarm and remote start (5 speed compatible) which was causing the car to stall and shut down, even at high speeds. (But NEVER over 65mph ) The problem sent the entire electronics package into convulsions, with gauges and everything else acting like the car was possessed. The mechanics told me they disconnected EVERYTHING, including the 3 air bag units, because something or another was crossed over, and they didn't want to have a $2,000 misstep before they fixed the mess. Turns out that the problem was with the CompuStar itself....
    The '96 does only have one module, it is located under the dash above the tranny tunnel. It also has two sensors behind the front bumber located on either side to detect right/left side impacts. The sensors give input to the ACM and the ACM shares input from the ECM as well. ECM tells ACM speed data and the ACM alerts the ECM when it has deployed the airbags so the ECM can shut of the engine to help prevent fire or other possible things happening as a result of the accident.

Aftermarket remote starters and alarms wreak havoc on a cars electrical system, sooner or later. If one must have one of these, get a kit from the car manufacture and have a dealership do the install.

Blog Entries

I'm now flipping through my '96 Mustang "Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual." I can barely lift the Service Manual. The thing must be 2,500 pages long. Can't tell, because it's broken down into sections rather than sequential page numbers.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

It shows a "data link collector," left and right "primary crash sensors," a "diagnostic monitor," and a "clock spring assembly" that "electrically connects steering wheel controls to body harness." And this is why I have Ford mechanics work on my car.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I'm now flipping through my '96 Mustang "Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual." I can barely lift the Service Manual. The thing must be 2,500 pages long. Can't tell, because it's broken down into sections rather than sequential page numbers.
    Thinking about it further, the tech probly meant that he disconnected the three modules which would be the Engine Control Module, AIrbag Control Module and the Anti-lock Break System Module. For the 94-04 Mustang, I don't think they had any more than those three.

Blog Entries

Thinking about it further, the tech probly meant that he disconnected the three modules which would be the Engine Control Module, AIrbag Control Module and the Anti-lock Break System Module. For the 94-04 Mustang, I don't think they had any more than those three.
    What makes me chuckle is that the "Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual" advises to not attempt a diagnosis or troubleshoot of the air-bag restraint system without first consulting the Service Manual. These things must have been written by mechanic lawyers.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark