Thread: Getting Children Involved

Default Getting Children Involved

I give classes on survival techniques to church groups and Boy Scout groups in my area. I'm fortunate that the majority of the students already have an interest in the outdoors. But what about those that are on the edge of loving or hating the woods. I've ran across the problem once and just two methods grabbed the boys love for the wild. His dad tried to take him camping and he just didn't catch on to the amazing experience. He didn't like the basic idea of making shelter and spending a night under the stars. So that afternoon I took the group out and we gathered tinder and good solid fire wood. With one strike of my magnesium rod and producing fire seemed to get his attention. Making a fire without lighter fluid and match seemed to be an idea he never thought possible. And after the fire was burning good we set out about 50 meters from our camp and each student set a basic snare on fallen logs and proped braches. The one student I was having trouble with was the first to get a squirrel on the branch he set. I taught them how to clean in properly and I instantly saw the marvel and excitement in that boys eyes. An amazing feeling as an instructor. Now I hear the boys father mention often his boy is building debris huts and has his own survival pack. And eager to learn more. If anyone has a chance to get young adults into the wilderness and inspire them I strongly urge you. Seeing your teaching living in others is more rewarding than learning new things yourself. Anyone else have these experiences and how did y'all grab the youngsters attention?
    Last edited by xjosh40x; 12-02-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Good for you, rep sent.
    My nephews have always been interested in the outdoors, so other than showing them some basic principles, they have caught on quite well.
    The youngest always wants to kill an animal for food, and one of these days I'll let him get a rabbit or squirrel.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Good on you.

Started my nephew on hunting at an early age....and all the skills that go with it....
    Compass navigation, helter, fire, water/processing, hunting, stalking, tracking, calls, fire arms safety, shooting.....and the most important part....SIT STILL for a length of time.

He a father himself now, and we still hunt together some...but he has moved on to be a hunter in his own right.

Nothing beats t\when those eye light up in a flash of understanding......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Now you guys understand why I do this....its a feeling of self achievement, when you managed to get them to go out and you impart what you know...the're never too young and they're never too old...I love doing this and tell you what...its a great feeling when one of them calls ya and tells ya that they have been practicing or managed to find another way.......really love it!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!