Thread: Bug Out Bags: Hiking Packs, Survival Kits.... What are they?

Blog Entries

Default Bug Out Bags: Hiking Packs, Survival Kits.... What are they?

Bug Out Bags: Hiking Packs, Survival Kits.... What are they?

We have bags and kits and packs and kits we carry in packs and every other assortment of stuff on hand to carry along to make our lives easier and more comfortable - even to the point of life or death survival.

We have threads and posts and threads and posts discussing who carries or should carry what in all of these packs and kits and bags.

I quite often read posts here that seem to confuse hiking packs, survival kits, and bug out bags and every other kit by every name and nature with each other.

Some of us (me) keep several kits in our vehicles - just in case we have to bail out of wherever we are fast. I always keep a substantial first aid kit in each vehicle, together with a fully stocked survival kit with at least two of each of the Ten Essentials, a duffel with complete changes of clean clothes appropriate to the season, a vehicle repair kit with automotive fluids, some spare parts, and repair supplies, food and water, and lots of other necessities. I even keep two collapsible dog bowls, dry dog food, and two leashes in the cars, just in case we have only seconds to evacuate the house.

Still, here we go again.....

First of all, everyone's needs differ depending on their own personal circumstances, their geographical location, their planned activities, and the intended purpose of the bag, pack, or kit itself. Some items may belong in every type of kit you have. Others will be of immense value in one kit and absolutely useless in another.

For example, I keep some prescription pain meds in virtually every kit I own. However, I don't keep any of the thumb drives and documents and records that I have in my bug out bag in any of my hiking packs. I keep extra socks and underwear in my BOB, but never had a pair of either in the "abandon ship" bag I carried when I ventured out on Nantucket Sound. My hiking pack looked nothing like either of those.

I read one post recently that described a pack as a BOB. It's absolutely nothing like my BOB - it's a lot more like a mini-version of my day hike pack.

For some of us, the best BOB would be one that helps you to survive outdoors in the dead of winter in the event your wilderness cabin burns down. For others, it's more appropriate to pack items that will make your stay in a shelter or with family or friends a mere inconvenience if you have to leave your home for the short term, such as in the case of a nearby HazMat truck spill, a major gas leak, or something else of that sort.

I can be out of the shower and standing outside in a pair of pants and shoes holding my keys with everyone - including the dogs - out of the house in less than a minute - unless the house explodes, bursts into flames, or collapses.

A "disaster" may be limited to your household or your neighborhood or your region of the country. Build your kits and packs accordingly, and be realistic about what you need and where you'll likely be bugging out to. Think about what you, your family, and your pets NEED everyday, account for medical needs and documents you may require, and include those items in your pack or in your vehicles.

Give some thought to keeping copies of your important records, documents, irreplacable photos stored on thumb drives, and other items, such as your household inventory (for insurance purposes) in safety deposit boxes - one local and one a good distance from home - just in case. Think about keeping spares of other items - such as clothing - at the home of a family member or friend if you can.

There are several threads in the Forums suggesting what should be carried in different kits. Look them up if you care to.

I can go on forever on this subject, and I'm sure that most of you have ideas that I haven't touched on here. Just remember, for most of us, a BOB is NOT a camping backpack or a wilderness survival pack.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Thanks for that. Good post.

I don't claim to be an expert. I'm thankful that I have no experience bugging out. I keep a kit in the car also. I keep it there because the car is always with me, at home, at work, on vacation, whenever I travel, etc. I think of it as a "get home bag." The stuff I need when the aliens land is all at home. I keep enough in the bag to get me there. Bugging out is what I would do when my house burns down.

Goog

Had to give you some rep. Good post.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My hiking day pack now only contains a folding saw, toilet paper, a little trowel. water, tootsie rolls( in summer) or peppermint patties( in winter) a whistle/compass/thermometer thingamabob, a 55-gallon barrel liner and a camera.
    My hiking stick has a saw and a knife and I carry a knife on my person, so I'm covered blade-wise.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Blog Entries

Cool +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Had to give you some rep. Good post.
    Yep! Rep! .....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ken, Great Post.......suggest you flop it into your "Blog". I would only add two thoughts, CASH (What ever ones is OK with having stolen) say $100.00 but not a $100.00 bill, more like a lot of quarters, one's and a few fives.

The other thing is theft of gear in a car or truck. I use those Dog Beds with the cedar chips to store stuff in my trucks. As someone may break a window for a pack or bag, not so likely for a used "Dog Bed".

Great Post.

Note to self: Look for tequila, sardines and Sailor Boy crackers in dog bed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Note to self: Look for tequila, sardines and Sailor Boy crackers in dog bed.
    Just don't go looking for a Sailor Boy dressed in your "Thong-thingie" (Right CRASH)

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    The other thing is theft of gear in a car or truck. I use those Dog Beds with the cedar chips to store stuff in my trucks. As someone may break a window for a pack or bag, not so likely for a used "Dog Bed".
    I'd imagine using a used cat litter tray would work just as well....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Just don't go looking for a Sailor Boy dressed in your "Thong-thingie" (Right CRASH)
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I guess I missed this thread......but a good point, lots of options for different reasons.

Good point to be brought up....Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27