Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here roast there own coffee?

Banned

Default Does anyone here roast there own coffee?

It's the "little things" in life that ..........................

Friend of mine has one of the original prototype of this machine:
    http://www.diedrichroasters.com/sample.html

I have roasted with it several times. Turns out a great product.

Being in control of the roasting can bring virtually any green product to your standard.

I personally like a very dark roast.

Favorites in order:
    100% Kona
    Blue Mountain
    Ethiopian Harrar

I have cupped the most rare coffee procuct which is Kopi Luac (Cat-Butt Coffee) and can tell you the experience is overrated. At a price of a several hundred a pound it should come with the cat.

There are many ways to roast- a easy way to get them and info is at: www.sweetmarias.com

See? I knew there was something seriously wrong with you. I mean, who drinks poop? Call it any fancy name you want....in the end...poop is poop. (God, I do love a world full of puns!)

My store bought prepackaged in the generic coffee maker coffee is just fine. If it has caffeine, I'm good to go, good to go, good to go, good to go........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    See? I knew there was something seriously wrong with you. I mean, who drinks poop? Call it any fancy name you want....in the end...poop is poop. (God, I do love a world full of puns!)

My store bought prepackaged in the generic coffee maker coffee is just fine. If it has caffeine, I'm good to go, good to go, good to go, good to go........
    It's not just any poop Rick, it's special poop.

The best coffee is elephant poop coffee.

The elephants pick the beans and poop them out.

This is not bullpoop.

The growers pick through the poop and you have the best but

most expensive coffee. You could save by having a ton of poop

mailed to your home and pick the beans yourself;then spread

poop on you vegetable garden.

Being frugal is everything.

That's just wrong.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Okay, I'm back from the bathroom and my stomach has settled down a bit......thanks for that invigorating load of crap. (walks off with crash whispering) the boy ain't right.....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Since I've retired from the Navy I've cut back on my coffee. I'm down to about 20 cups a day. I've had some great coffee and some pretty awful stuff......but poop beans......that's almost as bad as badmouthing bacon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah, i'm not big on 'used' food or beverage products for the most part.

i'd love to take on roasting, though i'm not sure at the moment where i'd even get green coffee [except for the obvious answer of online].
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

Coffee roasters have done a good job brainwashing people out of roasting their own. It is in fact easy to do

For me, nothing works quite as well as a hot air pop-corn popper with a plastic bowl to catch the chaff. If you plan to go past city roast, go outside, or at least take the battery out of your smoke detector.

When you can find it, Ethiopian Limu light to medium roasted and blended 50-50 with any Timor coffee city roasted is an amazingly good blend.

There are sample quantities of beans available on the web, so no large outlay of money is required to get started. Dunn Bros. stores sell green coffee, as they should: It weighs more per bean and they save the cost of roasting.

Green beans store very well; coffee only deteriorates rapidly after it has been roasted.

Ah, the days of the great Atlantic & Pacific (A&P) when the grinder sat right there in the store. What a great isle to walk down as a kid. All the coffee aroma.......where was I? Oh, yea. Links:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/instructions.html

Navy Commissary still has em, along with a few local supermarkets. My favorite aisles.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For a wild treat roasting your own coffee, you can try:

Cleavers or Goosegrass (Galium aparine) Slow roast the fruits until dark brown. Grind and prepare like coffee.

Chicory (Cichorium intybus) Roast the roots until brown and brittle. Grind and prepare like coffee. 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground root per cup of water.

Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius) The roasted seeds can be used to make coffee (the seed PODS are slightly poisonous).

Common Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) Bake the roots in a slow oven until brown and brittle, Grind and perk like coffee.

Yellow Goat's Beard (Tragopogon pratensis) Roast the roots and grind to use like coffee.

Common Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) The roasted shells of the seeds can be used for coffee.

Feverwort, Tinker's-Weed (Triosteum perfoliatum) Dry, roast, and grind the ripe berries. Add 1-2 teaspoons of the ground berries for every cup of COLD water and heat. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and allow it to steep for a few minutes before drinking.

Kentucky Coffee-Tree (Gymnocladus dioica) The seeds can be roasted and ground into a caffeine-free coffee substiture. WARNING:!!!!!!!! Use only the roasted seeds; the fresh seeds and surrounding pulp are poisonous. Do not mistake the pods for the much longer ones of Honey Locust.

American Beech (Fagus grandifolia) The roasted kernals can be used as a coffee substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    For a wild treat roasting your own coffee, you can try:
    any comments on flavor of these? I've tried dandelion as a hot drink, didn't much care for it. Beech nuts are on my list to try if I can ever remember to get to the beech trees before the squirrels.

I'll add persimmon seeds to this list. I find those quite tasty. I roasted them for several hours in the oven and then ground them up with a coffee grinder. For my tastes, about a teaspoon per cup of boiling water is about right. This is one I'd seek out to drink at home.

-Dan

I've done chicory, dandelion and sunflower. Not much on the sunflower. The dandelion was okay and the chicory was more toward the good category. None of it is coffee to my taste. I saw your roasted persimmon in another thread and that's on my list of things to do. I'd never heard of that before and we have persimmon everywhere.

1. I love a good medium roast coffee. My favorite coffee is Community Meduim roast.
    2. I could not survive without my caffine, so I must have my coffee.
    3. I hate cats. ALL OF THEM!!!
    4. I would like to know who was the first person to let a cat eat their coffee beans and went looking through the scat for them when the cat "finished with them"?
    5. I would also like to know WHAT THE ---- THAT PERSON WAS THINKING WHEN HE (OR SHE) DECIDED TO MAKE AND DRINK THAT FIRST CUP OF CAT DUNG JUICE!!
    6. As much as I like coffee, I would NEVER (AND I MEAN NEVER )THINK TO TRY THAT!!! I would do without first!!!
    7. THIS "CAFFINE FREE COFFEE" STUFF.......IS NOT COFFEE!!!! THAT'S LIKE DRINKING "NON-ALCAHOLIC BEER......IT AINT BEER!!!! IT JUST AINT RIGHT!!!

..........and yet we wonder why this world is going down the toilet!!!
    Last edited by catfish10101; 12-01-2008 at 03:25 AM.

Just read this thread.....time for a CAT NAP.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Further to what catfish was saying:

If a person has a decaf with sugar-free sweetener and non-dairy "whitener" just what in the **** is that person drinking?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Further to what catfish was saying:

If a person has a decaf with sugar-free sweetener and non-dairy "whitener" just what in the **** is that person drinking?
    .......or smoking? LMAO!!!

A good hearty cup of coffee is what makes life worthwhile. That "foo foo" cat poopy coffee is for the morons with too much money and not enough brains. Never roasted coffee, but I think I will put it on a list of things to try.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Sarge - Move to Survival Food
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

acorns make good coffee you have to laeve it first .
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...