Thread: Metate and Mano

Default Metate and Mano

I doubt many of you know the two terms metate and mano but if you are into survival foods or homesteading then these two tools are extremely important.

A metate is nothing more than a flat rock or dimpled rock used for grinding foods. The mano is a hand held stone that is used similar to a rolling pin to grind the food on the metate.

For grains like rice, corn or maze, a mano is rolled horizontally across a metate to grind the grains into flour. A dimpled metate is used to hold nuts, like acorns, so they can be ground into flour.

Everyone is familiar with a mortar and pestle. They are used for vertical grinding while the metate and mano are used for horizontal grinding. Now you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metate
    Last edited by Rick; 03-24-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: I really have to learn to spell!!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I knew that, I did, I knew that.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"