Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Years Garden Adventure!

Default This Years Garden Adventure!

20130501_195427[1].jpg20130501_194819[1].jpg20130501_194158[1].jpg20130501_194208[1].jpg

First pic is a bamboo square foot frame I rigged up with some twine have to go in with a bit of gorilla glue and "set it in place."

The next three are of a Worm Bin I'm working on.
    Got a bunch of plant trays for free from the local home depot, they were tossing them and I was like "I'll take em, the employee thanked me for saving her the trouble and I got a major score."
    Used a razor to cut out some tabs and a bit of bamboo as shown to create levels in my "Worm Condo."

Got to drill some air holes in the Large blue 30 gal tote and just set up a few more trays. (Although three is enough)

Also picked up a cheap outdoor thermometer/humidity measure which I'll secure inside to make sure things stay comfortable for my worms. More pics to come.

20130501_194138.jpg

Better look at the plant tray. Total cost for all the stuff was $9, tote took up most of that money bamboo was pretty cheap.

Worms are situated nicely will have to get some pictures. a nod to uncle Jim's worm farm they came very fast and seemed healthy.

How did you get to sit still for the pic's?

Nice job.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

20130502_153100.jpg20130502_144920.jpg20130502_150313.jpg20130502_153721.jpg

Here are some more pics of the finished project, had to keep a light over em to make sure they beedded down and didn't try to wriggle off.

The design is flow through so right now only 1 tray is in there as they go through that tray I will stack more and more trays on top until I can easily harvest the lower tray with out too much effort. Also I felt the larger bin allowed for increased airflow.

Careful of the "salts", in a flow through get up. The guys down stream can get a bit over electrolytic.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Will do and thanks for the heads Up. I pre compost a lot of what is fed to these guys and would hope they would regulate themselves but I can always give a helping hand if I find stragglers down at the lower trays and toss em up top.

I also purchased a mini greenhouse setup and have been playing around with it. I will get some picks up soon.

Added another story to the worm condo and check this morn its jammed pack. Got all my tomatoes and peppers ready for hardening off and have em in a mini hothouse will see if they make it yesterday and today temps below 40. Really need to wait till memorial day next year lol.

20130513_205249.jpg

went out at 6am had to scrape a layer of front from the car b4 heading to work. Plants had no frost but didnt look happy.

Pic is sideways and was taken last night after I got home from work. My hastily constructed mini hot house. Thinking of wrapping bottom in thermal blanket.

Ed8t: the bulbs are regular cfls 2 6700k and one 3200k just to cover spectrum. If these tomatoes live I got a bunch of other seedlings which will be hardened off starting sunday.
    Last edited by Davidlastink; 05-14-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Roughed out my micro drip system and the tomatoes seem to be ok but time will tell.

Finally got my tomatoes and peppers hardened off and planted. They seem to be very stressed but have not keeled over dead yet. Will just have to keep an eye on them.

Got a bunchh of extra purple basil seedlings which I put in carboard planter pots. They will be given out as memorial day gifts. Victory Garden power activate.

I'm going to pull a Noah and just build myself an ark. Last years garlic is growing along with spinach. I hope it doesn't wash away. The Victory Garden was agreat TV show!

Well my luck just shows through again. Sever thunder storms followed by days in the low 40's and down to the 30's at night....

Yeah I really need to wait until after memorial day to plant outside.

Feeling your pain Clay...

scatter a bale of straw loosely over yer seedlings ... I just did that with mine ... I cant ewait up here .. growing season is too durned sh0rt ...
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

I just covered em with a thermal blanket and weighted them down with stones, but its likely a no go will let you know in 2 days if they are alive or not. Funny thing is tomorrow is the end of this bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    I just covered em with a thermal blanket and weighted them down with stones, but its likely a no go will let you know in 2 days if they are alive or not. Funny thing is tomorrow is the end of this bad weather.
    The plants don't look none to happy and I'm pretty sure the basil wont be making it likely the peppers and tomatoes will go the same route, I do have back ups for the basil though and had planted a tomato in a basket since DW said it looked purty and have that one inside now.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    The plants don't look none to happy and I'm pretty sure the basil wont be making it likely the peppers and tomatoes will go the same route, I do have back ups for the basil though and had planted a tomato in a basket since DW said it looked purty and have that one inside now.
    So surprisngly the only thing that died was the basil and I just replanted some of the backups I had. The pepper and tomatoes look in bad humors but they seem to be alive so thats great.

Biggest surprise is that the plants hanging in the topsy turvy planters which didn't get any protection are doing fine. (Maybe being high off the ground saved their bacon)

In my old quick and dirty bed off the side of my garage which I didn't bother with I got pumpkins popping up now. Nature is funny sometimes. (I didn't plant the pumpkins just tossed the jackolanterns in the bed in the fall and they rotted away in there.)

Just made a sandwich with roast beef mozzarella and fresh picked basil. Yummy. Got the basil from my inside pots but the stuff outside is doint better. Even seeing some blooms on some of the tomatoes. Would it be a good idea to pinch off those blooms since its early?

David, you are probably right about the tomatoes. Tomatoe blooms in low temperatures don't produce good tomatoes. I'll bet you've had temperatures in the 40's or even 30's. Not good for night temps to be below 50 for blooms and 40 for plants. Leave a couple on and see what happens. Keep the plants warm at night if you can. We've had high cold winds here, so, I still haven't put out the plants that like the warm temperatures. But, that's just the gamble that I feel better taking.