Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife attacks - Why no call to ban?

Skittish,

Get him a waved Spyderco Endura. No switchblade on the planet will match the speed of that knife!

You'll have to get a hold of me to stab me. You can shoot me dead from a good distance.
    I can probably outrun a knife. Waaaaay, less so a bullet.
    Why is that so hard to comprehend?!
    I mean, let's not play dumb with each other here.

Blog Entries

As 2Dumb states, I live with strange firearms and knife laws. Basically, the only knife that is not illegal to carry is a Swiss Army type with a blade under 3inches in length. HOWEVER, i still have to provide a valid reason to carry even that knife if I were stopped. Please note the final sentence of the rules(highlighted) all it takes is for some limp wristed leftie to be on the bench and I'm stuffed.

The Firearms laws and Knife laws are still ignored by the criminal and lunatic element of society, eloquently shown by the fact that our Police now wear stab vests. So all these laws have done is remove these items from law abiding citizens. I don't think it has made much difference to death and injury from criminal use.

From current rules.

https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can...-carry-a-knife

Knives that are illegal
    There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives:

flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
    butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
    disguised knives – eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
    gravity knives
    sword-sticks
    samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
    hand or foot-claws
    push daggers
    hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
    shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
    kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    This is not a complete list of banned knives. Contact your local police to check if a knife is illegal or not.
    It is illegal to:sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
    carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
    carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)
    use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)
    Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

Good reasons for carrying a knife
    Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

taking knives you use at work to and from work
    you’re taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
    the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, televison, historical reenactment or religious purposes (eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry)
    A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

And that my friends is why you don't want to get started banning anything.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And that my friends is why you don't want to get started banning anything.
    So that's why I haven't been banned.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

We have GOT to rewrite some of the rules...Hey, Chris!!.......................................
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Don't get them started!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    You'll have to get a hold of me to stab me. You can shoot me dead from a good distance.
    There is no need to get a hold of you to stab you. You can not out run a knifing.

I've posted on here before about bad asses dying on the blade.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/200...lligator-alley

You can contact Doug and he'll tell you he regrets the knife. LOL

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInma...nID=1035677317

He stabbed his roomate in the neck like 32 times and then turned hisself in. But, if you contact him he'll tell you that Batch is much more dangerous. LOL

My buddies buddy got to smart assing and he got knifed after winning the fight,

He dead!

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/200...lligator-alley

I could post and will if y'all need murder stories. I can post many stories because we grew up in that era!

I'm working on a switchblade katana. The way I figure it no one, not man nor beast, will be able to defeat me. It's working pretty good but the spring is really strong and every time I press the button it throws me on the ground. But I'm getting there.

Somebody gets stabbed, it's usually up close and personal. Unless it's about knife throwing. Haven't read anything about a murderer going on a rampage and killing people by throwing knives. Not even in a circus.
    Obviously, y'all are just funning, 'cause I know, you know better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua_TZ...YOo7MOIltiders of the

Let's also not forget that knives are used to commit murder more than(over twice as many times) rifles and shotguns combined.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...10shrtbl08.xls
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Let's also not forget that knives are used to commit murder more than(over twice as many times) rifles and shotguns combined.
    Really?
    This is data of murder victims by weapon. (from the source you provided)

Total firearms: in 2010--8,775
    Knives or cutting instruments: in 2010--1,939

Note he said rifles and shotguns probably since the EBR's (evil black rifle) are often the target when a shooting happens. Heck - some of the early reporting about the Navy Yard shooter said he used an AR-15 - which of course was shown to be false.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Note he said rifles and shotguns probably since the EBR's (evil black rifle) are often the target when a shooting happens. Heck - some of the early reporting about the Navy Yard shooter said he used an AR-15 - which of course was shown to be false.
    Not a fair comparison, IMO, but I guess, anything goes to make a point. (both sides equally guilty of this)
    It should be knives vs. firearms...not knives vs. only certain firearms.

Not a fair comparison, IMO, but I guess, anything goes to make a point. (both sides equally guilty of this)
    It should be knives vs. firearms...not knives vs. only certain firearms.
    Why is it not a fair comparison, when talking about bans, to compare the guns they tried to ban (plus additional guns) to knives. Isn't that what this thread is about?
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Why is it not a fair comparison, when talking about bans, to compare the guns they tried to ban (plus additional guns) to knives. Isn't that what this thread is about?
    Not really.
    Here's what it was about:

Knife attacks - Why no call to ban?
    Has any one else noticed the recent mass stabbings? Why has the liberal media not been calling for a ban on knives like they want to ban guns? Shouldn't people be banned from purchasing long bladed or multiple knives? After all they are easier to conceal than a gun! And just as deadly!
    Notice, he's not saying anything about guns they tried to ban. That's what I went by...including your statistics link.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

When I started this thread, I was thinking along the lines that knives are generally viewed as tools that every household has, often in abundance and used daily, hence attempts to ban them would likely meet universal resistance. Every state that I have lived in has had some restrictions on what kind of knife I could own and or carry. For example, the lovely Scottish Dirk that Scottishsmith made me is illegal for me to even own in Michigan, much less ever carry.
    Arguments over which kill more people, firearms of knives misses the point. Both are capable of taking a persons life. My point was how/why the media focuses on one tool and not the other, and yes they will probably change that focus if they succeed in banning firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor
    why the media focuses on one tool and not the other

Because it doesn't sell ad copy.

Well, if that don't just cut to the quick.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    [/COLOR]

Because it doesn't sell ad copy.
    It's much deeper than that.
    Ad copy sells around issues that resonate with people...when you got a pulse on something before people can even verbalize it themselves, but they know it when they hear it A good adman is someone who is of the people and in the moment...or rather, 5 minutes before the moment. You can denigrate it all you want but it's a powerful tool in talented hands. That's why clients still pay small fortunes for a shot at having their message floated out there in the most compelling, money making/view changing, way.