Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife attacks - Why no call to ban?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Default Knife attacks - Why no call to ban?

Has any one else noticed the recent mass stabbings? Why has the liberal media not been calling for a ban on knives like they want to ban guns? Shouldn't people be banned from purchasing long bladed or multiple knives? After all they are easier to conceal than a gun! And just as deadly!

Blog Entries

Shhhhh! (Don't give those progressives any more ides!)
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Shhhhh! (Don't give those progressives any more ides!)
    This thread must be destroyed.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    "Knife attacks - Why no call to ban?"
    Simple enough. At the moment, the agenda, the goal of the Left is to ban and confiscate the guns of the unwashed worker peasants. As soon as they accomplish their goal, they'll go after the knives.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Has any one else noticed the recent mass stabbings? Why has the liberal media not been calling for a ban on knives like they want to ban guns? Shouldn't people be banned from purchasing long bladed or multiple knives? After all they are easier to conceal than a gun! And just as deadly!
    Two things: the stabbings are less deadly on the whole than shootings. It's a fact of stabbings, they really don't kill as quickly or in the same volume that a firearm does. A knife is inherently not capable of the same kind of mass-killing a firearm is. This of course doesn't justify firearm restrictions, but it does explain why there is less fervor towards banning knives

secondly: People are in fact banned from possession of many kinds of knives, depending on state. In WA for example, switchblades, "flick knives", balisongs/butterfly knives, gravity knives, and protectile knives are all illegal to buy sell or carry outside your residence. Fixed blades are only allowed if openly displayed, and only in sporting (camping/hunting) applications, and all folding knives must be 4 inches or less in length (3.5 inches or less in Seattle)

So, there are restrictions everywhere, just less national push at the moment.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

They have to ban guns first, then they move on to knives, then it will be baseball bats and eventually rocks.

UK docs want to ban pointy kitchen knives...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Then it will be 300hp trucks and SUV's.....You don't need all the size and HP, makes it hard on the little crap boxes, that get punted like a football.....and bad for the planet.......
    Ban craft fairs as well, lot of junk gets passed along and breaks up happy homes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    Two things: the stabbings are less deadly on the whole than shootings. It's a fact of stabbings, they really don't kill as quickly or in the same volume that a firearm does. A knife is inherently not capable of the same kind of mass-killing a firearm is. This of course doesn't justify firearm restrictions, but it does explain why there is less fervor towards banning knives

secondly: People are in fact banned from possession of many kinds of knives, depending on state. In WA for example, switchblades, "flick knives", balisongs/butterfly knives, gravity knives, and protectile knives are all illegal to buy sell or carry outside your residence. Fixed blades are only allowed if openly displayed, and only in sporting (camping/hunting) applications, and all folding knives must be 4 inches or less in length (3.5 inches or less in Seattle)

You do know that knives kill several times more people each year than rifles, don't you?
    (And that includes all rifles. Not just what they call "assault rifles".)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post

Guns are restricted more than that, yet they still want to ban them.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Then it will be 300hp trucks and SUV's.....You don't need all the size and HP, makes it hard on the little crap boxes, that get punted like a football.....and bad for the planet.......
    Ban craft fairs as well, lot of junk gets passed along and breaks up happy homes.
    First, we need to limit their gas tank capacity. No on need all that gas with them. They can stop and get more gas as needed. With small gas tanks, if somebody starts killing people with their SUV, they can only kill so many before they need more gas, and they can be stopped more easily when they have to stop for gas.

We will also need to limit the size of gas cans. We don't want people to be able to refuel much, without having to stop at a fueling station. (Where their background can be checked, to see if they are worthy of more fuel.)
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 05-04-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    First, we need to limit their gas tank capacity. No on need all that gas with them. They can stop and get more gas as needed. With small gas tanks, if somebody starts killing people with their SUV, they can only kill so many before they need more gas, and they can be stopped more easily when they have to stop for gas.

We will also need to limit the size of gas cans. We don't want people to be able to refuel much, without having to stop at a fueling station. (Where their background can be checked, to see if they are worthy of more fuel.)
    Who needs more than ten gallons, any way? I mean, are they planning to immolate small children?! Just buy a couple gallons as you need them! And of course we need background checks. If someone used gasoline to start a fire, we need to know whenever they pump gas! If you haven't, then you have nothing to hide. So just ... buh ... Just stop trying to act like ... bah ... like this is a bad thing .. bahh. You just need to do what the governBAHHhh is telling you! BAHH They don't mean you any harm. BAHHhhh ... Oh, there's the herd.

Id like to go ahead and suggest microchipping gasoline, so when it is used as an 3xpl0$iv3 it could be tracked back to the original purchaser.

Until then, Im going to bury my slingshot in the event it winds up on the ban list too!!

EB

Banned

After they've achieved the confiscation of your guns and knives, I suspect they'll come after your pressure cookers too.

Apparently the "Right Reverend Al Sharpton" has already started this BS. I say when they show me how to cut my steak with a teaspoon then we'll talk about it! They can take any knife away they would like...junkyards are full of leaf springs! Mike

We kind of joke about it, but we all may want to ask Winnie how easily it can become a reality. She has to deal with this kind of crap already.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Indeed, 2dumb2kwit. There are places which are already restricting common tools to the point that people who use them at their jobs run the risk of being bereft of them via police confiscation, for just (as an example) having a screwdriver in a pocket, even if they are able to "justify the need" of it.So many places are already setting pattern and precedent for what we will be facing in coming years. And our populace is already being primed to fear anything and everything that's not on a non-existent approved items list. There are many things that, "you don't really need," on your person, so the push is, "why have them at all?"

323 people were killed with rifles in 2011. All rifles including those uber scary AR platforms.
    356 by shotguns. All shotguns.
    1694 were stabbed to death.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You do know that knives kill several times more people each year than rifles, don't you?
    (And that includes all rifles. Not just what they call "assault rifles".)
    More than rifles yes. More than firearms in general? No.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    323 people were killed with rifles in 2011. All rifles including those uber scary AR platforms.
    356 by shotguns. All shotguns.
    1694 were stabbed to death.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8
    And what about handguns, eh? If we're going to have the truth on our side, we have to tell the WHOLE truth. The whole truth is, long guns don't in fact pose much of a threat comparatively, but handguns are in fact the favored murder weapon in this country. That doesn't mean we should ban them, but if we don't acknowledge that fact, it makes it look like we're hiding it on purpose.

Guns are restricted more than that, yet they still want to ban them.
    I'd say that knife restrictions here are stricter than firearm restrictions, in that they cannot be carried concealed, even with a CWP, and that ones that are truly effective for self defense are 100% illegal, whereas the firearms that are effective for self defense are not illegal in most states (and not in mine), but are just restricted. It's a shame. Having greater freedom of knife carry would allow for some extra flexibility about one's EDC.