Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget Concerns & Tips

Default Budget Concerns & Tips

Well I think keeping your money and saving where you can are major for any prep/survival plan.

So here are a few Tips I have picked up along my travels.

1)Cell Phones ( on of the biggest costs for many people)

Picked up a contract and stuck with a bill and phone you don't want or need?You have 30 days to cancel, but be careful some companies are limiting this down to 15 days.
    If you are getting a phone look too third party retailers like Best Buy for deals that beat out providers (Some times Best Buy beats others as much as $100)
    Call in an complain, I have shaved off $80 from my hefty family plan rate by simply being shrewd and calling companies on their BS. (current is At&T, Talk to customer retention department and this works better if your near/ out of contract)
    Get the newest phone, often trade in value surpasses new phone costs and in some cases will cover an early termination fee.
    For example the Galaxy S4 trade in value is around $250 which if you picked it up when it came out your contract cancellation should be around if not close to $250, don't settle for an older model phone.
    Most insurance is a scam, however you really want to be careful here and weigh your pros and cons. check in with YOUR local corporate store and see if they will be able to repair, if not you are looking at a deductible payment that can be as high as $200. Most phones come with 1 yr manufacture for product defects, also some insurances don't cover accidental damage or lost/ stolen phones.
    A LOT of "pay" apps/ features you find on a phone are offered free and work just as well if not better. (Examples which are majorly betetr for free are phone tracking security apps vs provider services which carry a monthly fee)

2) Grocery & Gas

Gas discounts often don't pay off. 20 cents off per gallon is not much if you have to spend a lot to get it. spending say $200 to save $4 can cost you. You may end up paying more for say Milk, even 10 cents extra here and there eats away that savings. (Sunoco is also ALways 10 cents higher than everyone else in my area)
    Coupons even on a small scale save you money, go online and get loyalty cards. Heck I even look through the Sunday paper and if I see a good coupon then the paper is basically free.
    Look out for Gas Sale days, around me Wednesday is the big day most people are on sale.
    Non-Perishables in bulk sometimes are better bought online rather than Costco/SamsClub.
    Sell-by does not mean gone-bad, pick up the cheap bread and have some samiches.
    Driving 10 miles to save $2 is not worth it more often than not, sometimes the overpriced place is actually going to save you money.

Feel free to chime in and add, ask questions etc.

Good stuff, David....

Actually, you're generally money ahead if you purchase a phone outright and don't take a contract. I haven't had a contract with my carrier for two years. Thinking of getting that free phone with a 2 year contract? You might wind up paying more for the phone through the contract than if you bought it outright. So do the math before you sign on the dotted line. You might also choose a carrier that does not require a contract like T-Mobile.

Here's a rating on national providers to see who is the best (at least based on the ratings)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402204,00.asp

Figure out what you NEED vs. what you want and don't get oversold on the bells and whistles. I rarely make a cell call and almost never text. I don't need an iPhone.

Look at the government's Lifeline program for low income families. If you qualify you get a free phone and 250 minutes a month, call waiting & Caller ID. Not all states are included however.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/lifeline-a...ible-consumers

Look at the upside. Cell phones today are equipment with GPS so if you get lost in the bush and you still have cell service they can find you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Get lost in the bush?????? I've never been lost but have been mighty bewildered for a few days LOL.

Not everyone is as .... um ..... well reckoned as we are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I use a straight talk phone. It works good for my needs a little bit of texting, phone calls and voice mail. Been thinking about closing my office and using the services of a answering service.

Blog Entries

Can't disgree with any of that. My phone is over 12 years old, it does what I want it to, I think I top it up once a month or so with the minimum. I also have a landline that is included in the broadband package and is free to use evenings and weekends. I don't drive, so no fuel bills, and the coupon thing doesn't exist to the extent it does over yonder. I have just had a water meter fitted. That looks like it will save me about £200 a year. I think that is where a household should look to make savings, utility bills, not just electric, but gas and water too. Since moving into this new house that is insulated to the gunnels, my gas heating has hardly been on. If you really must have this or that, check out the secondhand stores first.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

This thread jogged my memory about a thread quite some time ago. Here's the thread. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...redness+budget

Here's a post I made in it.

OK – Here’s the approach I took on this one. I went to Walmart. Most of the items are in the camping/sporting goods area. The first aid kit came from the pharmacy area. Now admittedly this is not the best kit you can put together. I wanted to see if you could put together “something” to help you in a pinch within the parameter of spending $100. Right now I am fortunate enough to be in a position that if I needed $100 worth of gear I could go out and buy it. It has not always been that way in my life though. So, after I priced everything at Walmart I decided to see where I could save even more money, or improve the quality of some of the items.

Ozark Trail Hooded Poncho $0.88
    Portable Aqua Plus $5.88
    Hatchet $7.88
    Water Resistant Stuff Bag $3.96
    Laker – 75 Piece Hook/Swivel/Sinker Kit $1.76
    OmniFlex 12lb Fishing Line (980 ft) $2.50
    Coleman King Size 20* Sleeping Bag $21.88
    Winchester Woody Fine Fixed Blade $14.88
    Duck (yes Duck) Tape – 10 yards $1.00
    Husky .7 Mil 9X12 Drop Cloth $1.38
    Ozark Trail 6X8 All Purpose Tarp $4.68
    2 Pack 7 ounce Sterno $3.86
    18 oz Enamel Cup $2.88
    Bic Lighter $1.00
    Ozark Magnesium/Flint Bar $6.88
    Ozark Light Sticks (2 Pack) $2.00
    Ozark Compass/Whistle/Magnifier/Thermometer Combo $3.88
    2 Pack Emergency Candles $2.28
    Ray-O-Vac LED Key Chain $2.00
    Ray-O-Vac Value Bright Flashlight (2- AA) $1.00
    Cliff Bar Oatmeal Raisin Walnut (2) $1.96
    First Aid Kit $5.64
    30 adhesive bandages 3/8 X 1-1/2
    20 adhesive bandages ¾ X 3
    5 butterfly closures
    10 cotton swabs
    4 finger splints
    4 sterile gauze pads 2 X 2
    2 sterile gauze pads 4 X 4
    1 roll adhesive tape ½ X 2.5 yards
    2 exam gloves
    1 instant cold compress
    2 antibiotic ointment packets
    12 alcohol prep pads
    1 instructions

Total Cost $100.06

First item – emergency poncho. If you have nothing else, they will work about as well as a large (yard) trash bag. Replace poncho with a couple of trash bags that you have around. Savings .88

Aqua – well I suppose boiling and filtering the water could save a few bucks if needed. Throw some coffee filters or an old t-shirt for removing the big chunks before boiling. Savings - $5.88

Hatchet. Might be able to find one cheaper at a garage sale. Do I really need it. I know I want it. How about fashioning a chopper out of an old lawn mower blade? Savings - $7.88

Water resistant stuff bag – The purpose of this was to hold all of the “stuff” look around the house. There is probably something that can be used. An old pack, a suitcase, plastic tote. Replace the bag with something on hand. Savings $3.96.

The fishing gear. There are a lot of fishermen (and women) out there. I’ve got a small tackle box with those items in it. Around where I live a lot of fishing takes place from the bridges and jetties. Gear is getting snagged all the time. You can’t walk on the shore near one of those structures and not find any gear. Replace fishing gear with items on hand. Savings - $4.26.

The sleeping bag – Look in your closets. Got any extra blankets, quilts or comforters. Depending on your climate these can substitute. Savings - $21.88

Knife -look around the house. Got any kitchen or utility knives that aren’t being used? Check yard sales you may be able to find pretty good quality at a big savings. There are several threads on here about making your own from old files or scrap metal. Try it. Savings - $14.88.

Duck Tape (it really is Duck brand) – Got any extra laying around in the garage? If you do – Savings - $1.00

Painters tarp – replace with several more lawn bags. Savings - $1.38

The tarp – check around the garage, I’ll bet you have one already Replace with one on hand. Savings $4.68

2 pack of Sterno – Read the threads on pepsi can stoves – make one (they are really easy to make). Now take a look in your medicine chest. Grab that bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Grab a coat hanger (wire) to make a pot stand. Replace Sterno – Savings - $3.86

Enamel coated cups are good to boil water or cook food. Look in the kitchen cabinets. I’m sure there is a pot or two that aren’t being used. A used coffee can with a wire handle makes a great billy can. A small veggie can (use one without the plastic liner) makes a serviceable cup. Replace cup with items on hand. Savings - $2.88.

Bic Lighter – if you don’t have one laying around the house – head out to the smoking area at work and ask for one. Another option – walk into your local watering hole – they always have books of matches in bowls. Grab a handful. I don’t particularly care for them, but better than nothing. Savings - $1.00.

mag bar – Is there any natural flint in your area? Some natural fling, a steel bar (you can always find some scrap) and a bit of char cloth. Savings - $6.88.

Whistle/compass/magnifier combo – you may be able to find something cheaper – I’ll keep this for now.

Emergency candles – rummage through those kitchen drawers or go to a local restaurant that has those glass bowls with a candle in them (you know the ones – they’re usually red with plastic netting. Talk to the manager – ask for the ones that they are getting ready to toss, take em home and melt the wax to make your own. Either way – Savings $2.88.

The two lights – pretty good price on those, but…….is there a job fair or trade show in town? The vendors love to attract people by giving away free things. One popular give away is LED lights. Grab a handful. I went to the Jaguars / Colts game tonight (Jags lost) they gave away flashing light sticks that would certainly draw more attention than the chem. Lights. I’ll bet if you look around the house you’ll find an extra light someplace. Use it. Savings - $3.00.

Cliff bars – grab anything in the kitchen that will keep. Peanut butter, sardines, Raman noodles, crackers, cereal, pop tarts. Savings - $1.96.

The first aid kit – most households have some basic first aid supplies on hand. It’ll probably surprise you what you find in the back of the medicine chest. Savings - $5.64.

OK – If I were to find replacements for everything I listed, I would be down to $3.88 because I kept my cheap whistle and compass. You may only replace a few items. I’m missing some useful gear with my list. No cordage other than the fishing line. Maybe there’s some around the house that I can use. No signal mirror – grab an old CD. My intention with the exercise wasn’t to make a complete – “I’m going into the woods for a year kit”, but rather illustrate that we can put together some items that will help us out in a jam, and do it on a budget. With what you save by using items that are already at your disposal you will have the extra $$$ to purchase the items that are not.

Good thread Remy – thanks for starting it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jeeze, there's a name I haven't seen in several years.

Get rid of your satellite or cable and put up an antenna as long as you can get locally broadcasted channels! I installed an HD antenna in my attic and discovered that I can get aroound 30 channels. So now I am not paying $120 per month to watch commercials, I just watch them free now

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Get rid of your satellite or cable and put up an antenna as long as you can get locally broadcasted channels! I installed an HD antenna in my attic and discovered that I can get aroound 30 channels. So now I am not paying $120 per month to watch commercials, I just watch them free now
    What antenna would you recommend? Mine will have to go on the outside (no attic), but looking at cutting back a bit, and that seems like a good choice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good stuff guys. As for cell contracts ricks right about your basic caller phones but never ever go with a smart phone and ppurchase it no contract. There is no advantage as a new smartphone ever the "cheap" ones will run you $500. Then a hefty plan even no contract plans.

Am a big fan of the walmart clearance section especially for vitamins and firstaide stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    Am a big fan of the walmart clearance section especially for vitamins and firstaide stuff.
    Dollar Stores. My GF and kids have to drag me out of those places.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

don't buy the tooth paste! I get stuff for 56 cents which is the clearance price for most cheap items in walmart... my wife hates it lol.

Blog Entries

I stock up on toothpaste when it's on sale AND I have a coupon or additional loyalty discount at the grocery store or a local pharmacy. I'll prolly wear my teeth out before I use up my supply, LOL.

There isn't a single McDonald's in town, but you can't drive 5 blocks down a main road without seeing a pharmacy, a pizza joint, or a Dunkin Donuts. There are less than 3,000 people for every pharmacy and Dunkin Donuts in town, less than 2,000 for every pizza shop.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

There's a thread here somewhere about making your own laundry detergent. For the past several months, we've been making our own uber simple detergent, softener, and deodorant. I'm not sure, but I think the recipes we use are as follows:

Detergent:
    1 bar Fels Naphta soap
    1 cup of Washing soda
    1 cup of Borax
    Grate up the bar of soap as fine as you can, mix in the other powders. To use, place one tbsp per load. A little more can be added if desired. *I've heard of others mixing in OxyClean in with the powders as well but we haven't.

Fabric Softener:
    1 bottle of hair conditioner of your choice
    3 cups of white vinegar
    6 cups of hot water
    Melt the conditioner in a small pot of hot water, add the vinegar and mix thoroughly. Use 1 oz per load.

Deodorant:
    Coconut oil
    Baking soda
    Corn starch
    Mix small amount of baking soda and corn starch into the oil till it gets the consistency you desire. Place inside of an empty jar or used deodorant container. I use a small tupperware and soften it up in my hand before applying. In my experience, you don't need as much of the powders as you think. It will make the deodorant too hard and may become too abrasive. Normal deodorant irritates my skin and this has been a blessing to me. *You can also add teatree oil as it is also antibacterial and aromatic.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

In my area we have:
    Harbor Freight
    Ollie's Discount store
    Goodwill
    Big Lots
    Dollar Tree (!)
    Family Dollar
    Walmarts (clearance aisle)
    Salvation Army
    Not to mention so many yard sales it's a wonder you are not required to hire a traffic cop to prevent folks from getting run over when they have to cross the road!
    Those yard sailors (salers?) never look where they're going.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Yeah, never been to a salvation army or goodwill until I moved out of the city. I now buy many a gift there from the knick knacks they have, you can get some really nice gifts for $10 if you know some one who likes knick knacks.

I would put growing your own veggies but its only a saving if you don't outlay too much every year. But Gardening if done with a budget forward frame of thinking can net you better produce at a much fairer price.

Kids eat free. Tues/Thurs Denny's, 4-pm IHOP, several other restaurants. I once Had a dinner with me the wife and 3 little ones left a 25% tip and and after a coupon (Denny's allows both coupon and kids eat free) spent $11.

Doubletake deals from coupon clipper has some nice $5 coupons on many places. Also entertainment/ save around books, if you use them because you normally end up paying $20 to a fund raiser for them but I always get full use.

Many places, mechanic shops etc match competitors coupons. I have never paid more than $20 for a synthetic blend oil change. (I could change myself... but time/ cost comes out to the same on a good day. Oil+Filter seems to run the same price.

Princess Auto - surplus aisles have been a blessing to me.

Was in a few weeks ago to get some hoses and gaskets for a small engine... managed to walk out with almost EVERYTHING my new bride and I needed to start container gardening (spades, rakes, hoes & various dirt scratchers, 8x five gallon pails, 2x 75ft hoses, nozzles, 15 planting trays, 2x 36 gallon water barrels, plant snips, 6 bags of fertilizer and more) for under $100.

Also picked up some electronics stuff like an HD antenna and HDMI cables for under $30.

Pretty awesome store for any jacks-of-all-trades.

Also - Youtube.

Considering building something from scratch? There's a tube for that.
    Considering fixing something without paying a tradesman $60-80 for 15mins of work? There's a tube for that.
    Considering improving the efficiency of something mechanical? There's a tube for that.
    Last edited by Oddmott; 05-02-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What antenna would you recommend? Mine will have to go on the outside (no attic), but looking at cutting back a bit, and that seems like a good choice.
    First of all, go to a website called antenna.com.........I think, and it will give you which channels you can receive at your address. If you have a lot of close broadcasting stations, you can get by with a $50 dollar 30- 50 mile antenna.
    One side benafit is that if you have nearby HD broadcasting station, the picture reception will be superior to cable because of the digital conversion that cable and satellite uses.
    I got an antenna at Menards for about $60 bucks that gets everything I need. Plus in the summer we don't watch TV much anyway, so we won't even miss the satellite system!
    There are several antenna websites that will tell you the available channels and the signal strenght you can expect from each one of them, so check that out and let me know. Amazon has a lot of good deals on antennas and I will help you choose one if you need me to!

dont forget older TVs may need a converter box or the antenna will need one depending where you live. Like NYC for example.