Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: trapping as a way of life in the north

Default trapping as a way of life in the north

Trapping as a way of life is survival in the the north fire making to keeping the sled running. Never can you have enough fire wood cut and allways keep the gun loaded for bear. The rivers are fast and wide the bush thick . The sun sits rite over head in the middle of the sky how the heck can tell south . And yet I'd live no were eles and die no were eles. No more nicer a felling can be found then that of the rockys and the north country . I'm a northern BC trapper with a 600sk trapline and survial is a way of life

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tailsofthenorth View Post
    The sun sits rite over head in the middle of the sky how the heck can tell south .
    Let me help. They make these thingies we call compasses....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Ah very interesting a compass you say what the heck is that lol yes I have a few of these telling my way is not at all hard but if you need a compass .... Anyway. If you have ever done any siesmic exploration you would be a pro at this and would not need any conventinal things a good survivalist needs only the envirement around him and most people are trying to get some were and are not happy were they are if you were stranded on my land you would use your skills to get back to the city or town and yet I use my skills to set a way of life in the same place that some or most would try so hard to get out of.

Blog Entries

I'm sure you have some interesting stories for us. You don't need a compass or even the Sun to find our Introductions section. Why not head there and tell us a bit about yourself....

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Every day I get up early in the am and go out to get wood from the pile go in stoke a fire and heat some water for coffee have food and head out for the days tasks -wood choping and cutting tending to the garden and fixing the atv sled winch chain saws ect what ever is broken down that day then head to the river for fishing and gold panning also keeping an eye out for rabbits and bush chickin when the fall comes and the leaves change and fall dead off the branch its time for moose hunt and more fire wood we ready our traps and the sled and wait for snow to close us in.

Good to hear for someone that's doing it...Welcome.
    How are fur prices these days?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

fur at auction is bad price ok last year soso this year the best is to make hats and gloves and boots walking sticks ect im trying to get the web site set up to market some of the fur items our self it is good with the cell towers that thay have today i get cell use on part of my line and at my land . mostly just getting set up to be out all next winter and putting in a huge garden this spring going to be choping some logs to season for the next cabin we are going to be building not sure on the site yet but have my eye on this nice lake remote with some fish and beaver im back in the settelment now for a small time working on a farm to get some more cash a quad and snars but will be back in may for the summer gold panning of some creeks that look to be paying very excited to return to the cabin and the land i all ways miss it even if only gone to town for supplys

And your Blackberry is coming in from a server in Toronto. I guess the street signs show south?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

couldent tell you any thing about that never been to toranto you can cheak out the traplines in north bc and i can give you my trapline number and any fool can look it up and you will see me ther and you can go to the BCTA web site and see that im a member and only cert...trappers of BC can join and that that BCTA is ran by BC trappers and that they have to accept you and in doing that they see that you are who you say you are im in alberta at this very moment working on a farm well hardly working today but non the less in alberta and on the way back to BC on may 15 for spring bear hunt witch is in season till may end and im in region 7a so im aloud two blackbears

I've been called much worse than a fool. But thanks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i do under stand that every one has an opion and that they will more then gladly say it but im genuine and looking for other people with good storys and tips and tricks of bush life so far iv been here on this site for half a day and one person has seemed senicer and the other people seem to have never been in the woods or a real survival situation in ther life if all people can do is be rude then my experance and storys can be eles were i have a lot of deffrent aproches to bush life and willderness skill and id be happy to share

my trapline is located west of prince geroge BC it runs from esker to bednesti lake and has a huge s curve of the river in the middle ther are a few small lakes and ponds and some swamp as well cut blocks and some farms on the east side so my closet nabour is about 30k from were my cabin site is witch is on the river and on the creek on the far south i have just bought this line from an 80 year old trapper who has owend the line since the 60s and i have been living out in a very close spot to the line for some time on a foresty road in a remote location in a camper and working for a foresty company and now that i have the line i got my slef a quad and a saw and some traps and will be moving in to the cabin in sept full time but first have to make the money to buy all the things that come with this life like i said ill be out on may 15 for spring bear and exploration iv been living this life for 6 years now on the bush road and the only thing iv never been able to do is feed my self off the land with all the rules and stuff but now iv found a way to do this as a trapper and im able to make the money for the things that i can not get in the bush fuel for motors flour ect

So have you been trapping or are you going to trap?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

100_1305.jpg trying a pic out .. it is the cabin

100_1308.jpg the river looking west in dec

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've been called much worse than a fool. But thanks.
    I figured that, 'cept I don't have your Forums Investigative Powers.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

iv trapped in the past as a kid on the farm and iv been through the alberta hunter ed course about 6 times as a kid as well i grew up in a uniqe envierment on a ranch that was for troubled youth we were set in about 23k west of longview alberta at the stamped boys ranch were we lived in cabins and were learned survival and hiking and how to read the river and the country we were rite in the rocky mt and the foot hills and we had lots of country to explore every day we would head out on a adventure in to the hills and every day we learned hunter ed and we would spend weeks every year out on servival trips making lean_to and fire and learning tracks and bush craft from the man one and only dan fox we would go on thrsdays on a hike that would last all day no school and in the winter we would sometimes go sleding in the mountains we would trap in the summer for the farm and we would hunt in the fall we had to chop wood and keep ourselfs warm on the winter nights in our cabins and iv stayed real close to the woods ever since working for jobs that are in the bush and spending all my free time in the outside and to this day iv never payed a land lord rent iv all wasy made it in a camper or working and living for some one and now iv saved up and bought a trapline in BC like i said very close to were iv been staying for the past 6 years only 20ishk and iv got all the tools to be heading of again in sept

100_0628.jpg brushin in northern bc