Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: trapping as a way of life in the north

Quote Originally Posted by tailsofthenorth View Post
    Attachment 9175 trying a pic out .. it is the cabin
    Your snow machine looks to be quite old.

just a little its a 1972 moto-ski 440cc

107_0012.jpg107_0013.jpg the old sled i got running last year

Personally as a novice trapper only 3 yrs at it in Ontario I don't do much trapping till at least December. Except for nucience beaver. The reason for this at least here is the quality of the fur. You want the furbearers to have a nice winter coat and for most critters that is usually December. And it's not cuz it's colder its because of hours of daylight. An animal's coat grows and molts with daylight hours not cuz of weather. But like I said I am just a novice
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

i do under stand that every one has an opion and that they will more then gladly say it but im genuine and looking for other people with good storys and tips and tricks of bush life so far iv been here on this site for half a day and one person has seemed senicer and the other people seem to have never been in the woods or a real survival situation in ther life if all people can do is be rude then my experance and storys can be eles were i have a lot of deffrent aproches to bush life and willderness skill and id be happy to share

Well, I have never been in a real survival situation in my life. But I have been in the woods a lot. Not as much as I would like though. If I ever get in a survival situation, then I probably did something wrong.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

" ... im no stranger to living in the woods im just skilling up so i can be a real woods man living the life full time and not having to work in town for the things that people have to buy that they can previde for them selfs but are unable to because the law says you cant do that this or the other thing
    Tailsofthenorth, I doubt you'll be able to make enough money by trapping to not have to have a job "in town" to support yourself. Here is a link to a long series of videos made by a professional trapper who was born and raised in Canada's North West Territories. He has been trapping for many years, yet still has to work off season "in town" to buy the supplies, food, snowmobile upkeep, traps, etc., etc., etc.

Scroll down to the series "Trapping Tales" and watch from the beginning of the series. You'll see what equipment, traps, tools, and gear are required, plus his methods of trapping. You might learn a few things that work out on the trapline.

If anyone could live off just fur trapping, I'll bet this young man, Andrew, could do it... but he can't.

(By the way, if coarse language offends you, don't watch the videos.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWildNorth?feature=watch

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

107_0012.jpg107_0013.jpg the old sled i got running last year
    Cool.!....