Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going

Quote Originally Posted by backtobasics View Post
    Try a commune. Black bear ranch sounds like a good one. You'll have to work there also tho.
    That's the most promising thing I've seen so far, although being there would still require being around a decent number of people, which is pretty much what I'm trying to get away from.

Quote Originally Posted by c_anthony View Post
    That's the most promising thing I've seen so far, although being there would still require being around a decent number of people, which is pretty much what I'm trying to get away from.
    Now this response says more than any of the others and indicates a couple of things.
    1. Although there was a claim of "got help" the advice to continue to seek help was valid.
    2. The need to get away from all people is different from what you previously described.

It's your life/party, so by all means do what you want. Running away does little good when you are the problem because you just take the problems with you. Good luck - I hope you figure out what you really want and are able to find it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I live in the middle of nowhere with very little in the way of "normal" things like cable TV and Hydro ... I have a hard earned HARD WORKING homestead .. pay no rent .. no taxes (prepaid 100 yr lease) no water bill ... NO NOTHING just the basics and my friend its as far away from people as you can get and still survive and sir " ITS STILL A LONG WAY FROM FREE" what yer lookin for DOESN'T EXIST ... like they all said my friend ,.... " GET HELP !!!
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Well said !

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    quote>
    do any of you know of a decent place where one could go and live off the land? I'm in michigan but can travel. I was considering going as far as alaska. Any suggestions?
    <quote.

What is up with alaska, cold, 11 months out of the year, 1 month with bugs......no money?
    What about someplace warm....fiji maybe?
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Now this response says more than any of the others and indicates a couple of things.
    1. Although there was a claim of "got help" the advice to continue to seek help was valid.
    2. The need to get away from all people is different from what you previously described.

It's your life/party, so by all means do what you want. Running away does little good when you are the problem because you just take the problems with you. Good luck - I hope you figure out what you really want and are able to find it.
    This might be a bit of a rant, but the problem isn't with me. Pretty much my entire life, I've put above-average effort into everything I've done, be it in the workplace, friendships, etc. Despite all that, about 95% of the people I've ever dealt with have taken advantage of me and treated me, to put it bluntly, like crap. Here are a couple of recent examples: My employer, whom I'd worked my rear off for, replaced me when I took a week off to visit my dying dad for the last time; My Cousin, upon hearing my dad had died, decided to ridicule and beat me down for being upset; Then shortly after a friend of over sixteen years (whom I was closer to than my own brother) called me a facist and ended our friendship when he randomly decided to change his political affiliation. I'm not even going to get started on when my fiancee left me.
    I mean, honestly, I'm just tired of other people and their issues, especially when I'm the one who always seems to pay for them. I think my desire to get away from everyone is pretty justified.

That's called life. I'll let you in on a secret. Folks can only take advantage of you if you let them and they can only treat you like crap if you let them.

I'm sorry for the loss of your father and if I were you I would certainly have wanted to be with him. Employers don't always agree with employees taking off. That's just a fact of life. Find another job, hopefully one that's better than the last.

If your friend broke of the relationship then he wasn't a friend. You only thought he was. If he dumped you because of a political affiliation he was little more than an acquaintance in his mind. Friends, real friends, don't blow with the wind like that.

So, yeah, maybe the problem is with you if let people take advantage of you and you allow them to treat you like crap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool You aint a-gonna like this!

Quit yer gripin'! Sheesh, I want to get my violin! 1st, just to be fair now we'll need to hear your boss' side of the story. 2nd, if what you say is true about why you left and why he fired you then get a lawyer, he just broke a federal law called the "Family Medical Leave Act." http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/ 3rd, with all the cry-baby stuff you're putting on hear you're not thinking like a survivor. You'd be dead in 6 months out in the wilderness! 4th, you've already been told that there's no such place like you want, why do you persist? Do you think we're liars?....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I can sympathize with hard times, as within a four-month timespan, my dad had a tremendous seizure, was hospitalized and diagnosed with a brain tumor (condemning him to maybe ten more years of survival if he was lucky), went in for surgery, was discovered to have an abcess (Better because he can still live a normal lifespan) but took much longer to recover due to this, which put my mother under tremendous stress, and due to this stress she generally alienated me and my sister from them, my sister ended up blacking out inexplicably and getting sent to the hospital, though she was fine, my dad had to go back in several times with breathing problems and several close-calls with another seizure, then was discovered to have an inflamed gallbladder, had to have that removed before it killed him, during which time my Grandmother's Alzheimer's worsened tremendously, and she eventually died, I was unable to come to her funeral, I failed two very important classes for my major, was dropped from the honors program at my university, had major relationship troubles and a savage breakup, and drove my blood-pressure up to 150/90, in spite of having a healthy weight and no medical conditions.

But you know what? I survived. Now, granted, I had some rough patches along the way, as does everyone. I think my major advantage was I had supportive friends who helped me through this. If you went it alone without any support, I can definitely see how you might feel you just want to be done with society as a whole. Trust me though, it does get better. It's harder without friends, but it does get much better eventually.

I wish you luck as you wait for life to improve. Just know that it will, and that you won't remember it being so hard, once you're out of this slump.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Not gonna beat you up on woulda/shoulda.

When my dad wanted to get away, he sold his house and used about $20k of it to buy a place down in WestBumFruckMiddleofNowhere Florida, a trailer with a good well on a couple acres of land. The land was already cleared for planting. For the use of part of an abutting acre, his neighbor tractor-plowed and tilled the rest for him. It was so cheap to live and he had chickens and a garden full of stuff that he could do it on his Social Security check. Other than that neighbor and a few trips to town every couple of months for supplies he lived there like a hermit until he got sick for the last time and passed away. I've talked about his neighbor a few times on here. The one whose wife who did the canning and they had a well-stocked pantry room full of home grown food and a freezer full of grass fed beef critter and home grown hog.

While you can't do it without money, maybe it isn't as much as you think. You would need some kind of skill to keep a cash flow going as I'm guessing you are not anywhere near retirement age. If you can farm enough for a truck market, there is that (until it is regulated out of existence) or perhaps you can find a diner that needs a cook or a restaurant that needs a chef.

Can you grow a garden? Can you butcher a cow? Or a chicken?

And on the subject of money, when it comes to the grandparents, you shouldn't be paying for their medical care out of your own pocket. Talk to a good Elder Care lawyer about the options available in your state for them. It may be too late, but it's the best $100 you'll ever spend. Been there. Done that.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Please everybody - while we may not agree with or understand the direction that the OP is going - it is his path to travel. He came here asking for advice. He's received honest answers from members. Some he may agree with. Some he may not. It is up to him to separate the wheat from the chaff and figure out the direction he wants to go.

I've deleted one post. PLEASE!!!! no personal attacks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I think all of us here are adults, which means that we all are likely to have had hard times at one point or another. Survival is not the absence of difficulties but how you come out the other side of them. I don't think you have "survived" yet and still need to work on what you are going through. Running off to the wilderness wont get you to that other side. Working though your issues, whether in the company of people or not, is required if you are going to become a happy, healthy person. Running and hiding from them only delays the working through them portion of your life. Good luck.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Why are these threads responded to?

To answer the OP's question. Try the south Pacific.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by c_anthony View Post
    I mean, honestly, I'm just tired of other people and their issues, especially when I'm the one who always seems to pay for them. I think my desire to get away from everyone is pretty justified.
    In light of what you said, it is justified and I can hardly blame you for feeling that way. All I can say is, ride it out by minimizing being around people who treat you like crap...better yet, cut them off completely. They are toxic. Once you find a better job and meet nicer people, your outlook will change. Give yourself some time and don't give up trying any way you can.

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

My Grandmother died of Cancer at 72.

I never even knew my real father, my stepfather died at 58 due to being a diabetic and a chronic alcoholic.

My mother died of Alzheimer's at 63...I'm pushing 66.

My niece was killed in a car accident several weeks before her 18th birthday. I'd written the accident policy on her and the rest of the family that paid $10,000 to my brother.

My wife's sister was the victim of a horrible homicide at age 22.

I've been fired by anus bosses from more jobs than I can count.

My wife's health is so bad I don't have many close friends, and I hardly ever have them over.

My 1st wife left me for some guy just out of prison and took off with my two very young children. I didn't see my daughter until she was 17. At 38 I finally saw my son again.

I helped take care of my two in-laws when they went into the nursing home right up to their death.

Several years ago my best friend went in to see the doctor about a sore shoulder; he was diagnosed with inoperable bone Cancer and was given 6 months to live...he lasted 8.

In a perfect world this crap wouldn't happen, but it does. I never wanted to run off into the wilderness and be all alone, feeling sorry for myself. I'm a survivor, and the way I see it, people are lucky to know me. If they disagree...well, I could give a rat's rectum! I'm a survivor.....

It's all about attitude....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 04-26-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sorry to resurrect this, in answer to the OP's first request: the Revelation Mts. If I wanted to disappear, I'd go there.

@Sarge
    Proof that survival starts with attitude and experience through hard knocks of life.
    No need to even step foot in the wilderness to be a survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by letslearntogether47 View Post
    @Sarge
    Proof that survival starts with attitude and experience through hard knocks of life.
    No need to even step foot in the wilderness to be a survivor.
    True that......Plus 1
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I really do not see what the problem is.

If the problem is not the OP but the rest of the human population then this person has a brilliant political career ahead of him.

He simply needs to change his name, apply to Colombia Law School, join the school law review staff and go from there. There is a good chance he could become president and punish all these bad people for what they have done.

Get free health care for the old folks.

Tax those bad bosses into bankruptcy.

Declare anyone that opposes you abnormal.

Put anyone that pi$$es you off on the terror watch list.

Problem solved!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-06-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I really do not see what the problem is.

If the problem is not the OP but the rest of the human population then this person has a brilliant political career ahead of him.

He simply needs to change his name, apply to Colombia Law School, join the school law review staff and go from there. There is a good chance he could become president and punish all these bad people for what they have done.

Get free health care for the old folks.

Tax those bad bosses into bankruptcy.

Put anyone that pi$$es you off on the terror watch list.

Problem solved!

That sounds familiar but I just can't put my finger on it LOL. And I don't really think the problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by KY

I'm for sure writing that one down.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.