Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going

Maybe you could be a cook and caretaker for a remote ranch or such. Most of the time those places are pretty empty depending on season.

Quote Originally Posted by c_anthony View Post
    Alright, here's my situation. I was a fine dining chef for a few years, moved on to being a security guard, then decided to take some time off when the stress of it got to me, especially when combined with my personal life, which was falling apart (fiancée left me, dad died, best friend died, everything I owned got stolen, and that's just the tip of the iceberg). I moved in with my Grandparents to try and chill out for a while, so to speak, and realized only too late that they needed a caregiver and I was stuck filling that role. That's basically where I am now, except they are both nursing home-bound and caring for them has financially crippled me. What savings I had are gone.
    With everything that's happened over the years, I'm disenfranchised with the entire concept of modern living and especially the people.
    To me, the idea of setting up camp in a nice forest somewhere and living a relatively unobtrusive existence with little to no human contact sounds perfect. I didn't mention it before, but I previously learned and have enough wilderness survival experience that I could practically teach courses in it. That said, if I could find a place, I'd probably be happy for the rest of my days. It's just a matter of finding that place...
    Sorry for your hard times. I hope you can look forward to better days.
    Last edited by rebel; 04-24-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Here. You should be able to work at a McDonald's and save enough to buy a lot like this one in less than a year.

http://www.landsofmaine.com/maine/la...ine/id/1145086
    Last edited by Ken; 04-24-2013 at 10:02 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Ken; 04-24-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool I get this.

I've had crap happen to me in my life as well. But the point is that I SURVIVED! That's the key word, "survive." Living off the land is much harder than people realize. You'll still need money. And it's a lot more work than what you've already been through! I know, when things get hard we like to sit back and dream about "getting away from it all." But that's what it is, just a dream. Chris McCandless had the same dream, and it killed him. If you can't survive civilization what makes you think you can survive the wilderness?....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    If you can't survive civilization what makes you think you can survive the wilderness?....
    My guess is, and on some deep primal level I really understand...it's people who get in the way of surviving civilization. They make hard things harder. In the wilderness it's just you and the natural way of things as harsh as they may be. But it's somehow pure.

Just like homeless people seem to migrate to cities and live in the lower levels and tunnels, there are a number of folks who squat on public lands, deep in the National Forests. I know a guy who did this for several years. Eventually, he got lonely, and came back to civilization.

Blog Entries

Just for once, I'm not going to take the Mickey.
    So here's what you COULD do, legally in the USA, and on the cheap. I've just had a quick lookee, and most National Parks permit up to 30days camping in any one calendar year. So, here's what you do. Find as many National Parks as possible, in as small an area as possible, and use your maximum stay allowance in each one. I reckon, if you worked it right, you could stay out in the Wilderness for about 6months. I also reckon, by the end ofthat time you will be sick fed up of crawling out of a tent, or falling out of a hammock, or slithering out from under a Tarp, living on a limited diet and hauling water, dodging Bears, Rattlers, strange people and all your poisonous bugs. etc, etc. (OK, I lied, I did take the Mickey a little bit.)
    If that's not what you want to do, then good luck with that. Oh, and just so you know, I live in England, and managed to find the info just fine.
    Last edited by Winnie; 04-25-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

I'll stay off the "Get Help" bandwagon, but I do think that this is a mid/early/late life crisis reaction. I think most of us here dream of living in a cabin in the woods. My wife and I have that as a retirement goal, with modern conveniences, of course But if what you really need is to get away from people and spend some time in the woods (which is always a good thing)...take a hike. Go camping for a week or two, fully prepared and loaded to live well. The weather is getting better this time of year and you can live in a tent, away from people, and decompress. Feel free to practice some survival skills like fishing, gathering (not hunting/trapping) shelter making and general woodcraft. But don't get stuck in a bad situation, unprepared while you do this.

Locally to me, I can do this in the Shenandoah National Park, with a free permit. Can't stay permanently, but long enough to get away. Also, long enough to realize how much I appreciate running water, company of people, showers, grocery stores, etc.

BTW, good on you to take care of your grandparents when they need you. It may not be what you bargained for, but it's the right thing to do. Karma has a way of coming around. You may not see it yet, but eventually you will.

Goog

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Winnie beat me to this by 1 minute. now I look like a copycat I should type faster.

Goog

I was a campus police officer for 5 years part time.
    Worked Friday and Saturday nights from 12 midnight till 8 am.And this was after working a second shift job from 2:30 till 11:00.
    Lost a girlfriend,gained a wife..long story.
    I did this with the hopes of someday moving out of my apartment into a house.Was able to save 20% of the cost of my house.
    Mission accomplished.

Life is tough.When you get lemons,sometimes you need to make lemonade.Even folks that live in the sticks deal with other people.
    Running away will get you nowhere.Btw,taking care of your grandparents like that shouldn't have been a burden.It should be considered an honor.
    Last edited by letslearntogether47; 04-25-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Go take the Appalachian trail.Just make sure you're prepared.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/

I'm currently rebuilding. I wasn't bashed like some people I know have been, but I hit an obstacle that needs to be circumvented before I can even look past it as far as a plan goes. So all of my planning is to beat this current obstacle, however, I do have the vision of where I'm going after (not the wilderness). Its very hard to move beyond where you are without a plan that addresses the problems. I stand by my advice of find a job, save money so you have cash for options, then explore those options.

I'm going to to be away all weekend, but I will offer the same thing I offer to most anyone, an ear. If you want to tell me more about your situation and I'll listen and offer what advice I can. I'm not a financial or life planner and I don't have a ton of experience in dealing with the chaos of life, but I have learned a thing or two from people I truly respect. Running away to the wilderness will not be part of any advice I give you.

Ok here are some resources for your area. You will need to call or search within these sites. There should be help for your grandparents if they are indigent (poor) and for you. What is happening with their SS and Medicare/Medicaid? You can research that easily at the library if you don't have a computer.

Also, have you thought about how HARD it will be on them when you just up and go? I know you have done the right thing helping but maybe God's plan was for YOU to be there when your Dad died and all the rest of the bad stuff happened to help you too. Sometimes, the Plan for us is not apparent (think of the underside of a tapestry -just tons of loose threads, but when you turn it over, an amazing picture). Certainly it is easier to be with family than on the streets when parents die, fiancés leave etc.
    Not trying to preach, just to give you some ideas to turn over.
    These area general help sites for your mental and physical health, senior issues for them, and other departments. Having done this before, call these places and ask for help. Most want to help you - some will have jerks on the 1st phone call but not on all of them.

http://www.dhd2.org/
    http://oscodacountymi.com/PDFs/Where_Do_I.pdf

Here is MI health deptmt info - should help you.
    http://www.michigan.gov/mdch

You were a chef. Here is a listing of all places you could work nearby.
    http://www.theenchantedforest.com/ht...da_county.html

Ok hope this helps.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I'm NOT running away to the wilderness, I don't need to escape society and I don't need to know the best survival knife. What I REALLY need is bacon sammiches.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote>
    Do any of you know of a decent place where one could go and live off the land? I'm in Michigan but can travel. I was considering going as far as Alaska. Any suggestions?
    <Quote.

What is up with Alaska, cold, 11 months out of the year, 1 month with bugs......No money?
    What about someplace warm....Fiji Maybe?
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-25-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: splin"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I honestly think it would be easier to be homeless in a large city than out in the wilderness for most people. I saw people out in California camped out in areas between on ramps off the side of 405. They were there for months, and had quite a camp set up. Maybe you need to just go to California!

I'm sorry folks, I don't know what I was expecting out of you all. It seems that I can't accurately explain my situation, reasoning, or goals in such a way as you all would understand. I think I'll just leave this thread alone after this.

Being a little more specific may help.
    Far too many show up here, and ask the same question...Where can I go to get away from the world and live?

Generally they have no skills, no gear, (maybe a big survival knife), but want to go to some area that has little of no resources that you can come by easily, or at least easy enough to not die, of exposure, starvation, or the wildlife (either that lack of or being attacked).
    Short answer is "no where, for long"

Any one that has tried it knows that 95 percent of your time is spent finding shelter, food, water...and depending how much gear and supplies you bring with you (money) will determine how long you can last.

Nothing wrong with your dream, or desire, but you really need to look at this objectively and practically....Books and films are fine, but are not the true story.

Just grab what you can find around your house, and spend a night in your yard....and you will see how much is to "living in the wild"...and don't waith for a nice day, weather changes in a minutes 'out there"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by c_anthony View Post
    I'm noticing most of you ignored the "got help" line. Also, I'm not looking to run away from personal problems. I'm looking to get away from my living situation and from people in general, who I've grown more than cynical about for the most part.
    Try a commune. Black bear ranch sounds like a good one. You'll have to work there also tho.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT