Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sunchokes

I recently learn about these. I hear they are a good food source for Native Americans back in the day. Curious to try some.

Have a look around your local farmers market or Whole Paycheck Foods late August to early October and you'll probably find them.
    Winnie isn't kidding about the Fartichoke name. They don't bother me but a couple members of the family here reported "intestinal distress" upon eating some. Start with a few and if you are lucky enough to be able to digest em, have at it.

I learned a long time ago not to plant things I don't want to eat. No sense wasting the yard space or the garden space. These things grow 8' tall and spread like wildfire. Finally figured out how mine escaped. Squirrel was helping himself to some of the roots that I replanted for the next season, and burying them like acorns around the yard.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Have a look around your local farmers market or Whole Paycheck Foods late August to early October and you'll probably find them.
    Winnie isn't kidding about the Fartichoke name. They don't bother me but a couple members of the family here reported "intestinal distress" upon eating some. Start with a few and if you are lucky enough to be able to digest em, have at it.

I learned a long time ago not to plant things I don't want to eat. No sense wasting the yard space or the garden space. These things grow 8' tall and spread like wildfire. Finally figured out how mine escaped. Squirrel was helping himself to some of the roots that I replanted for the next season, and burying them like acorns around the yard.
    LOL...Yup....
    Funny part of the fartichokes...they are supposed to better than potatoes for diabetics....but...
    Quote>
    This can cause flatulence and, in some cases, gastric pain. Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:[16]
    Quote>
    which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men.<quote...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27