Thread: rebuilding a coleman 500 gas stove

Default rebuilding a coleman 500 gas stove

I may have asked about this in the past but today started monkeying with a coleman 500 stove. I googled what info I could find and came across a comprehensive rebuild tutorial.
    This tutorial probably covers all my needs other than where to get parts. I'm in need of a couple tiny tiny tiny screws that hod the pump onto the base. In my gun screw assortment there may be some screws. Thinking about spraying all the screws down with rust buster and letting it sit awhile.

If not any thoughts on getting replacement screws? Would be nice if they were nickel plated.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Try oldcolemanpart.com. I've dealt with them a bunch and they are excellent. If they don't have what you want then give them a call. He usually has some stuff tucked back that isn't online. He used to work for Coleman back in the day and knows his stuff.

The 500 is bombproof. Once you get it going you'll have a great stove. Good luck!!

thanks for the info. I have it tore down and have a couple broken screws to contend with. The generator is shot so I'll be picking one of those up. Any thoughts on cleaning the nickel finish?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Sadly, I don't own any nickel plated tanks. All mine are painted. The few nickel plated pieces I have worked on I've been pretty lucky using Flitz. You can get it on Amazon or some of those sites. Works well on nickel plated weapons too.

If memory serves I've heard of coke and tin foil, maybe I'll try it

Is it just dirty or do you have pitting on the nickel?

It's just dirty

Oh, cool. You might try some GUNK to see if it will remove the grime. The brass portions and the parts of the manifold I've always used a Dremel tool with a wire brush to clean up. Use the stainless steel brush. It will last longer. The thin rings in the manifold will clean up as well. You just have to be careful with them because they are so thin. But just clean any build up on them and they will be serviceable forever.

Here's an owner's manual for the 500.

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/reso...cans/500_1.htm

If you know what type the screw is, try ebay or McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/# I buy all kinds of crazy little screws from them.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I had that stove set up for white gas and converted it to propane. Over the years it seem to grow legs and walk away because I cant find it now...

Anyway the conversion was easy, cant say I ever spent much time cleaning it but as someone mentioned above, they are bomb proof. Wish I could find the one I had

You can run regular gas through them. No need to run white gas. That whole 500 series was great. Coleman made a Peak I stove for the Marine Corps that included a kerosene generator; the 550B. If I remember right it was called the Coleman Exponent.

Thanks for the tip on mcmaster/carr, it's a place that slips my mind.

According to my research the coleman 500 will burn kerosene with out any modifications. I've always have used regular gas in my stoves and lanterns too, lot cheaper.

I've never tried it but I don't see any reason why kerosene or diesel wouldn't work. You'll probably have to use a preheat paste to heat the generator so the fuel vaporizes. If you can get it lit I would imagine it would burn. Probably won't be as efficient and probably burn dirtier but it would probably work.