Thread: Our obligation

Default Our obligation

Recent events both locally and nationally I think validates our attitude for being prepared for all types of emergencies. Of course our focus should be on our own families and friends first but being as we are generally better prepared than most I feel that we should and likely are able and ready to help in times of crisis.
    Most of us probably carry bobs in our vehicles of one degree or another. But perhaps we should consider as I have expanding our kits. Over the last several months I have greatly expanded the medical supplies in my truck in addition I have added several extraction tools three of which are inside the cab and accessible to all occupants and stored to stay in place in a roll over accident along with two fire extinguishers and two pairs of gloves and a baseline medical kit. Again all these things are within reach of occupants. Under my topper I have a med kit for multiple injuries and larger extraction tools as well as a tow strap and 100ft of 3/4 inch nylon rope and another fire extinguisher. All of this complements my bob which has food for 5 days water and minimal camping gear.
    Most likely the most common emergency will be a traffic accident. So first I am prepared to get me and my passengers out if necessary and to preform some basic first aid until help arrives. But I am also prepared to lend aid to others anything from a simple tow to moving trees off the road or extract people in other vehicles or fight fires.
    Even if you are not an emt or paramedic or pro 1st responder you can begin to lend a hand and or have gear available to other people who may have the technical skills to help. Having the gear on hand at the scene is IMO the first step and I think an obligation that we preppers owe to our fellow citizens.
    Whether due to rain, river, or snow, blood, sweat, or tears it is usually easier to stay dry than to get dry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
    Recent events both locally and nationally I think validates our attitude for being prepared for all types of emergencies. Of course our focus should be on our own families and friends first but being as we are generally better prepared than most I feel that we should and likely are able and ready to help in times of crisis.
    Most of us probably carry bobs in our vehicles of one degree or another. But perhaps we should consider as I have expanding our kits. Over the last several months I have greatly expanded the medical supplies in my truck in addition I have added several extraction tools three of which are inside the cab and accessible to all occupants and stored to stay in place in a roll over accident along with two fire extinguishers and two pairs of gloves and a baseline medical kit. Again all these things are within reach of occupants. Under my topper I have a med kit for multiple injuries and larger extraction tools as well as a tow strap and 100ft of 3/4 inch nylon rope and another fire extinguisher. All of this complements my bob which has food for 5 days water and minimal camping gear.
    Most likely the most common emergency will be a traffic accident. So first I am prepared to get me and my passengers out if necessary and to preform some basic first aid until help arrives. But I am also prepared to lend aid to others anything from a simple tow to moving trees off the road or extract people in other vehicles or fight fires.
    Even if you are not an emt or paramedic or pro 1st responder you can begin to lend a hand and or have gear available to other people who may have the technical skills to help. Having the gear on hand at the scene is IMO the first step and I think an obligation that we preppers owe to our fellow citizens.
    Ya know someone is going to say that I am not my brothers keeper,right?? Yes we will help other in an emergency,however it is bottom line each persons ( assuming age and mental/physical capabilities allow) responsibility to care for themselves and their family.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

I'm not a "prepper' so I'm not worried about people eating my stash and taking away from my ability to survive. I'm someone who likes to know that he can last a few days w/o modern conveniences, electricity, running water, etc. If bad things happen to other people, I will assist as able. That's the way I was brought up. If the world ends, I'll take care of my family, but I wont' be turning anyone away...they really have nothing to gain from me. I'll share my fire and teach them to hunt and fish. Then I'll eat them when they're fat

Goog

Excellent, Goog. They say the first part of genius is a plan.

I don't think I'd ever tow another vehicle so I carry no gear for it. I've seen folks make a bad situation much worse trying to help. The best example was a young lady's car that had slid the passenger side tires off the road in snow on a very dangerous curve. Some very nice guy attached a tow rope to his 4X4 and the front of her car and proceeded to drag her car down the full length of a guard rail. A wrecker would have had her out with no damage to the car. However, your point is understood.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I towed 2 vehicles one to get fuel and one out of an intersection but I have also not towed for similar reasons mentioned by Rick. Also have dragged several trees off of the road which blocked my way. Consider a hurricane evacuation as a good reason for needing a tow strap.
    I travel a lot of back roads daily in areas served by widely dispersed sheriffs and mostly volunteer fire/rescue dept. so help is usually a long time coming.
    Primarily what I was raising in the OP was those situations we are likely to encounter at almost anytime where just a little preparedness would either resolve the problem or deal with them until official help arrives.
    I can imagine only a few things worse than watching an entrapped person burn to death in their vehicle because I had nothing but my bear hands to help. Perhaps I would be a fool to help but that is my choice. Perhaps they were fools for wrecking their car or perhaps they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time (twin towers, Boston, Ft Hood, hit by a drunk driver).
    Personally I don't looking for trouble but sometimes it finds us. I'd rather be able to help than not and so I have expanded my capabilities. I do feel an obligation to lend a hand when and where it is appropriate if I am able.
    Last edited by 1776; 04-22-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Auto save problem
    Whether due to rain, river, or snow, blood, sweat, or tears it is usually easier to stay dry than to get dry.

I don't think you're a fool. I think all of us establish some border or line where our preps stop. Some choose to stock at a minimum and some at a maximum. Sometimes it has to do with limited knowledge about using items. I guess we all do what we can within our bounds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.