Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cobray Derringers---FYI

Default Cobray Derringers---FYI

From time to time I have posted a pic of a Cobray Derringer in .45lc/.410, and a few others have expressed interest in them.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Attended a show a week or so ago with a buddy, and we found one.....a DB, new in the box.....First one I had seen in a while, so he bought it at a good price.

Looking around for the latest pricing and availability, came across a site that has some and also seems they sell 'Kits', or a "Build one yourself".....so thought I would pass it along.

http://www.practicaltacticalky.com/oldSite/Leinad.html
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-19-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

How do you hold on to it when you light it off?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just make sure the bad guy is behind you so that the derringer smacks him in the forehead.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How do you hold on to it when you light it off?
    That is indeed a trick....the .410 whoomphs them pretty good, as does any of the derringer style .410 hand guns.
    Pattern is real wide, good for close range only......45's key hole at 10 ft......

That's why I kinda laugh when some one asks about the "Judge" with 1-1/2 in barrel, how accurate is it?.......What a joke.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The prices have sure gone up!!!

A few years ago I was buying the single barrel .410/45 kit for $25 directly from the factory.

Be advised that the kits are not snap togather deals and they require some extensive tinkering to get working. Mine required building the the side plates, drilling them and welding the breachplate in place, as well as the assembly and fitting of the internal parts.

If you are handy enough to do all that you will soon find that any extra barrel stock you have lying about becomes fodder for multicaliber use. The barrel lug is simply 1/4" thick steel and one can be shaped and welded to any barrel you have on hand. I bought the buttstock assembly and soon had an extra .22lr, .22mag, .30 carbine, .357 rifles along with .45acp, 9mm, .32 mag pistol.

I sure miss that gun. It also died in the canoe wreck.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks Hunter! I am on it!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Had you in mind, and would have passed along the dealers name, but my buddy has been after mine for some time now....and they are getting hard to find......and a whole lot pricey-er.

Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

If you look at the sideplates you will see that there is a vertical slot in the grip area. That is where the mainspring is housed. It is also very near the point where the breechplate attaches to the sideplates. The mainspring must be inside the sloted area before the welding takes place.

The only way to weld the breech plate to the sideplates and not ruin the spring with the welding heat is to use a tig wilder.

I suppose one could tack weld the breechplate and side plates and reduce the heat level, but those .410 rounds do create some recoil.

I am not trying to discourage anyone that has the tools and skill for this assembly, I am simply stating that it is not a 90% finished product that you just put together with a screwdriver and shoot.

I have cut the sideplates an breechface from scratch and $15 for the frame kit is money well spent. It took me a whole day of work going from plate metal to finished product. However, I did make and keep one extra sideplate to use as a future template. Now I can lay it on the metal, mark and punch spot the holes and knock off a couple of hours from the production time.

Getting the kits directly from Excaliber gives you the prices I remember! They ship in flat rate boxes through the mail since these are simply "boxes of parts".

If we order 10 we can get a price break. We can split the order at the camp in Oct and relay to anyone that is not at the camp. I would take two myself.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-20-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Are you talking just the parts kit, or both kits......?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Are you talking just the parts kit, or both kits......?
    The parts kit company gives a price break at 10 units. I did not see that on the add for the frame sideplates.

The "kit" is grips, grip spacer, barrel, hammer, trigger, 2 springs, 4 pins and clips to hold the pins in place.

Ok, got it......yeah I'd be up for a couple myself as well.......Might be fun to build one.

Been caving around on the catalog, kinda liking the over under .22/410 folding shot gun PN##803-200 $71.95 each.

Kyrat,

I might be interested in doing what you have suggested, so far as the side plates and breach plate. I could have 10 sets made on a laser, if you can provide the template to scale somehow? Might work on PDF? I could also have them welded and powdercoated? Anyone interested?

If you want I can send you a side plate, could that be used for a pattern?

Cool, guys, this seems to be coming together......

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    If you want I can send you a side plate, could that be used for a pattern?
    Randy that would work. I'd measure and draw it in CAD, we could have any thickness plates we wanted? Looks like they are being sold 11 gauge, pretty thin around 1/8". We could make'em 3/16". Would that be better, would it work? I am pretty sure the breach would need to be 11 gauge though for head spacing??

let me know when you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    let me know when you want it.
    We are going to need to get 10 or more as Kyrat suggested to make it worth it. Looks like if we go with the double barrel .410/.45 long colt the breach is included with the kit. I'll start a list. (Randy, are you interested or just trying to help out?)

Kyrat (2)
    Cowboy (2)
    Hunter63 (2)

We need 4 or more members interested....
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 09-20-2012 at 07:49 PM.

looking to help out, I have a kit that has been sitting in a drawer for a long time figured it would make a good pattern. But I would be interested in a set.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Randy that would work. I'd measure and draw it in CAD, we could have any thickness plates we wanted? Looks like they are being sold 11 gauge, pretty thin around 1/8". We could make'em 3/16". Would that be better, would it work? I am pretty sure the breach would need to be 11 gauge though for head spacing??
    I would think that you would have to go with the engineered thickness, as the pin's and such are a given length....?