Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batoning

Default Batoning

This is worth reading.

http://brkca.com/docs/batoning.pdf
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Wow. Everyone should see this. It makes perfect sense, as the only folders I've broken by batoning (I've not broken any fixed-blades, thankfully) were broken by using the angled (wrong) technique he describes. Excellent post!
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Great information! I normally do not have occasion to baton a knife (I usually have a hatchet around) but I am very glad to learn this information! It certainly makes sense once you think it through.

Blog Entries

Good article, Thanks!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

That's an excellent article, Winter. I have never experienced a problem batoning and the reason, apparently, is I always baton with the grain. I don't think I've ever had to baton across the grain. This is good information!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've done it wrong quite a bit. Thankfully my knives were tough enough that they didn't break.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Cool That's bogus!

How can you call that "batoning?" There's not a baton anywhere! I tried "batoning" once...then the cheerleader I took it from came, beat me up, and took it back!.....

On the serious side, I printed it out...as a constant reminder to myself to ALWAYS carry an Ax or Hatchet!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    On the serious side, I printed it out...as a constant reminder to myself to ALWAYS carry an Ax or Hatchet!...
    I ALWAYS (when out of the house) carry knives. Can't say I know anyone who ALWAYS carries an axe.

Batoning is a very useful tool that I have used to start fires in the rain by getting dry kindling a lot. I have not met many people who could even try and come close with hatchets or axes. It can be done with the other tools. But, when you get down to splitting out kindling it is safer, faster and more controllable with a batoned knife or machete.

Just been my experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I ALWAYS (when out of the house) carry knives. Can't say I know anyone who ALWAYS carries an axe.

Batoning is a very useful tool that I have used to start fires in the rain by getting dry kindling a lot. I have not met many people who could even try and come close with hatchets or axes. It can be done with the other tools. But, when you get down to splitting out kindling it is safer, faster and more controllable with a batoned knife or machete.

Just been my experience...
    While I'm pretty handy with an ax.....been my experience as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    You do now!....

I always take this one whenever I'm out:

http://www.buck-knife-direct.com/buc...th-p-7772.html
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Don't the students on the bus complain?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Uh...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Don't the students on the bus complain?
    Not for long!...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Here's Sarge inviting the kids onto his bus.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Here's Sarge inviting the kids onto his bus.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Yeah, I forgot to shave that day....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Is an ax legal on a bus like that? If so, I'm going to follow suit! Except, not really, based off of how cops reacted to the hiker in texas... can't have "rude" display of a black-handled axe, in this day and age that's threatening.

If it's not technically legal, well... let's just say that I'm almost CERTAIN one of my teachers back in junior high kept a shotgun in his truck, even though it was against the rules, and I would never have reported him. I betcha a lot of students feel safer with a school-worker who's prepared than one who's a rule-following lamb.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    How can you call that "batoning?" There's not a baton anywhere! I tried "batoning" once...then the cheerleader I took it from came, beat me up, and took it back!.....

Well, if you have a nice set of Pom-Poms, someone will do your batoning for you!

I ain't touching Sarge's pom poms.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So whats the final verdict for batoning once the knife is below the surface? Keeping it level makes sense when you start hitting the back square over the wood. Afterwards, to finish the split as you club near the point Ive always tried to keep it level. Is that correct or does an angle to finish relieve any stress on the handle? That answer wasent clear to me in the writeup.

I took it that being level was the only way to do it. As I said, I don't baton across the grain so I may be wrong here. His explanation of the limb being a fulcrum point sure drove it home to me. Made perfect sense.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

While I'm pretty handy with an ax.....been my experience as well.
    I know there are people who could perform well in fine splitting with an axe. I could also shave tinder and kindling off with an axe. But, I personally, can do it better with a knife. I also haven't seen the people that I have had personal experience with that claim to be an axe person do it better. But, this is just in my own little sphere down here and I have seen videos of people who are adept at both and who would out perform me with either.

That being said, Look at just the people who have posted pictures and videos of their day excursions on just this site. How many would you say take an axe or hatchet on a brief walk or even a day hike? If you are one it would be a great rebuff if you post a previous link to media showing you doing so here.

I know that axes and hatchets stay near vehicles with the people I have gone out with. You might see some who carry machetes. But, they are a minority. Though there are many more machetes on our ATVs than axes. But, almost everyone I go out with carries some sort of a knife on them at all times in the woods.

There is a Gerber Camp Axe and machete in the rear door storage of my truck. You will find a full size axe in the bed of my Polaris Ranger and my Honda Rubicon has a Gerber Camp Axe on it when I ride.

But, when I walk off into that mixed hammock to go exploring I have a knife on my side unless the smilax (we call them wait-a-minute vines) is particularly thick and requires a machete. More often than not the machete is carried in hand the whole time.

So, if we are suddenly thrust into one of the scenarios that involve the need for wilderness survival skills. Much more often than not, in my experience, a knife will be available to baton rather than an axe will be.

I also baton my Gerber axe when I fail to split a dried oak chunk on the first swing. I find it more controllable and therefore safer than that floundering picking up of the oak log chunk and slamming it back into the ground that the axemen I have had experience with seem to perform frequently.

And I am sure that there are PLENTY of people that will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong with the axe and how to do it better. But, more often than not, they will have to tell me and not show me. Because more often than not when we are off the trail, we only have knives.