Thread: Lesson Learned: Cell Phone Service Shut Down

Blog Entries

Default Lesson Learned: Cell Phone Service Shut Down

Here's a lesson to be learned. Cell phone service in Boston has been shut down to prevent remote detonations.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

They shut down the cell service when the prez is in town. .....and forget to turn it back on.

Blog Entries

Most of the Boston Newspaper and Television websites were overloaded.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Good indication of how fragile the cell phone system is......BIG lesson.

Good old CB anyone?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Good indication of how fragile the cell phone system is......BIG lesson.

Good old CB anyone?
    My 2-way system covers most of eastern Mass. I guess it's time to set each of my kids up with a base and a portable..
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Phone service is engineered at 80% maximum capacity. It's actually a balance between cost for the phone company and how many calls can be handled under normal situations. Given the extreme nature of the situation in Boston I'm sure cell service was overloaded. I doubt it was shut down. Even if you don't have service your cell phone is still trying to ping the tower so if you were in the vicinity of a real bomb and it was triggered by remote control and your cell phone were on the same frequency and you were close enough you might trigger the device.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Phone service is engineered at 80% maximum capacity. It's actually a balance between cost for the phone company and how many calls can be handled under normal situations. Given the extreme nature of the situation in Boston I'm sure cell service was overloaded. I doubt it was shut down. Even if you don't have service your cell phone is still trying to ping the tower so if you were in the vicinity of a real bomb and it was triggered by remote control and your cell phone were on the same frequency and you were close enough you might trigger the device.
    There are conflicting news reports regarding cell service being shut down. Not really all that unusual in a "live event".

As to the trigger being on the same frequency - I know that you know about phones - this is just a question - if the ied is uses a cell phone for its detonator, would it have to receive a signal from a tower to "ring", or would dialing the number of that phone and being close enough work?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

last year when we had a tornado cell service was diverted to first responder use. They can do it selectively.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

In addition to being shut down the towers were overloaded. Even in NH we could not make cell calls. We are at least an hour and a half west of Boston.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I distinctly remember not being able to get through on my cell on 9/11. And the land lines were busy as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    last year when we had a tornado cell service was diverted to first responder use. They can do it selectively.
    I don't remember the precise name of the service, but I recall a name like "red network." When I was an EMA director, our critical lines, including my personal phone at home, were designated for this service. We were that last to lose service if we lost it at all.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    As to the trigger being on the same frequency - I know that you know about phones - this is just a question - if the ied is uses a cell phone for its detonator, would it have to receive a signal from a tower to "ring", or would dialing the number of that phone and being close enough work?
    I'm no EOD guy but my understanding is they tie into the speaker leads. When the phone rings a thyristor allows a battery pack to discharge into the primary charge. You can not do this phone to phone. It has to go through the tower. The sim card in your cell phone or the cell phone itself (if its CDMA) communicates with the tower only. You might be able to do that using a walkie talkie type service like Direct Talk from Sprint. But it could just as easily be a trigger from a remote control kids car or airplane or a GRMS radio. Not knowing what the trigger is precludes the EOD guys from using radios on the off chance they may set off the bomb they are trying to defuse.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I distinctly remember not being able to get through on my cell on 9/11. And the land lines were busy as well.
    9/11 took out a Verizon building with 400,000 phone lines next door to WTC as well as 10 cell towers on top of the WTC buildings. Cell service was spotty after each of the hurricanes in the past few years and it disappeared entirely during the 2003 blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I don't remember the precise name of the service, but I recall a name like "red network." When I was an EMA director, our critical lines, including my personal phone at home, were designated for this service. We were that last to lose service if we lost it at all.
    In my EMA days we had that but, as usual, memory fails as to the name but as i recall it didn't work that well in 2004. Also, in the case of most disasters, volume dramatically increases to the point of overload as well. In the case of hurricanes, many cell towers went down, compounding the problem.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Geek
    9/11 took out a Verizon building with 400,000 phone lines next door to WTC

You might also be interested to know that building housed the servers for the stock market. That's the reason the stock market closed. We did not have enough spare servers on hand to replace them so each one was recovered, thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled. They were turned up less than 2 hours before the stock market went back on line. It was that close.