or Severe Solar Storm

by Jerry Emanuelson

Futurescience, LLC

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by author
    a severe solar storm that will destroy most of the world's power grids appears nearly inevitable at this point.
    I wonder what science that is based on?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I wonder what science that is based on?
    I understood that to mean at some point in the future based upon what we know about past events. Our electric grid wasn't around to be put to the test back then.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned

Much if not most of our scientific knowledge is based on discoveries made in the past few centuries. The discoveries and understanding of electricity and electro-magnetic fields significantly less than that. Knowledge of the earth's own magentic properties and that of our solar system and universe are still being discovered. Much of the advanced instrumentation now available to science wasn't even around fifty years ago. So to say these events are either likely or unlikely is largely a matter of conjecture. There is evidence of historic electro-magnetic events which, if they occured today, could do serious damage to our national power grids.

From what I have been told the large electrical transformers (used to regulate line voltages up and down within the grid) are built to order. There is no ready made inventory to replace destroyed units, these transformers are made in Germany (I believe), and take months to build. If an electro-magnetic event was strong enough to destroy these transformers, it could take years, even decades, to restore the power grid to just it's present day capacities.

I don't have any idea how likely this scenario is: 1 in 100 or 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000(quadrillion)? I do know that our present day standard of living is dependent upon this cheap and reliable energy. If our grids were disabled for years, we would see an immediate shift back in time to a lifestyle resembling that of our forefathers a hundred or more years ago. But that might be the least of our concerns as we have some 104 nuclear reactors spread across this nation that require electricity for pumps to regulate their core temperatures. The shut-down process takes months to perform to safely cool the fuel rods and avert a meltdown of the reactor. The failures at TEPCO's Fukishima Daiichi facility clearly demonstrate the design limitations and engineering vulnerabilities of nuclear power. Imagine the difficulty in shutting down 80 or more reactors with no grid and no notice.

Assuming a national nuclear disaster has been safely avoided and you have survived the mass exodus of refugees from the now unsustainable large urban centers, it might then make sense to have the ability to independently generate some of this lost electrical production for your own safety, security and necessary consumption.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 04-25-2013 at 12:57 PM.

I have a huge stash of tin foil ready, so I'm good

Next time I send Mr. B to a dog house I'll tell him it's a Faraday cage--it'll be for his own good.

Blog Entries

Powerful Solar Storm Could Shut Down U.S. for Months

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.html

When the Sun Brought Darkness.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012...2461342348260/

Did ‘Solar Storms’ Cause India’s Massive Blackout?

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...sive-blackout/

The Carrington Event of 1859 was the first documented event of a solar flare impacting Earth. The event occurred at 11:18 a.m. EDT on Sept. 1 and is named after Richard Carrington, the solar astronomer who witnessed the event through his private observatory telescope and sketched the sun's sunspots at the time. The flare was the largest documented solar storm in the last 500 years, NASA scientists have said.According to NOAA, the Carrington solar storm event sparked major aurora displays that were visible as far south as the Caribbean. It also caused severe interruptions in global telegraph communications, even shocking some telegraph operators and sparking fires when discharges from the lines ignited telegraph paper, according to a NASA description.

1859 - The Carrington Event

http://www.space.com/12584-worst-sol...s-history.html

March 1989 Geomagnetic Storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1...magnetic_storm
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Next time I send Mr. B to a dog house I'll tell him it's a Faraday cage--it'll be for his own good.
    Nessie you are just mean

Banned

Good historical examples of solar generated events, Ken. But what about all the possibilities for man-made events? After all, we've got some pretty radical leaders in North Korea and Iran. With its vast energy reserves, Iran has the financial wherewithal to buy whatever technology it doesn't already possess. They just need to find a willing vendor who wants of some of their Chinese and Indian gold-for-oil bullion. Then there are the radical Islamic Jihadists. With their tentacles into so many various fundraising efforts, how long before they develop or purchase the ability to initiate such an attack?

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Be careful what you wish for B. Confuscius say: Man in dog house today, be in cat house, tomorrow!

Good link Ken. I saw this before and downloaded all 19 pages of it. Until now, I had not thought of preexisting bombs in earth orbit already. Who knows, maybe we have some up there, too. Anyhow, I liked the article, too. Most reasonable discussion I've seen about Faraday cages. You can get the metal duct tape at HD to seal the lid on your steel trash can Faraday cage.

I'm not sure how far I need to go with this, roving hordes and the whole economic collapse thing to be prepared but I think I've got a good start.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

LOL. Someone has way too much time on their hands!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/QUOTE]