Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: burnwounds: natural and/or primitive treatment

Thanks for the correction and refinement of the honey-threatment.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. The burned mouth (lips!) become a feature of this character and is interwoven throughout the book so it would be great if I could keep it. Thanks to the answers from you and the others I'll rewrite the story so the burnwounds on his body will be way less dramatic. Thanks!

Just a note: I retract what I said about egg-whites. I'm reading some sources saying its a placebo, or only treats the initial pain but increases long-term risk of infection. I do stand behind the use of honey though.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    Just a note: I retract what I said about egg-whites. I'm reading some sources saying its a placebo, or only treats the initial pain but increases long-term risk of infection. I do stand behind the use of honey though.
    Good catch, I didnt see that mentioned!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

The honey is a great idea but I doubt I would approach a beehive especially after being burned but a balsam fir is approachable LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by gufghur View Post
    JPGreco, you ever tried to write a novel yourself? You definitly have the right mindset for creating a tight story-line!
    Thanks for making me realise that the situation isn't realistic. I'll bend the story to a less severe alternative. I also appreciate your comment for the necessity of further research. especially the connection between adrenaline and shock seems promising to me.
    Thanks a lot!
    And please don't misinterpret my "go research elsewhere" as we/I don't want to help. As you can see here, one suggestion was already retracted. Research in as many areas from as many reputable sources is invaluable to a writer. Reading other works especially.

As for myself I dabble, writing here and there, but its not something that intrigues me. I use it more as a release when my mind is burdened. I've written a couple of random chapters, poorly, of what would be a novel if I ever were to create one, but they were used more just to release. I play with haiku's sometimes. Really though, I don't read enough to be a writer, nor is it something I'm super into. I'm not the most creative person, more logical (whichever sided brain that is), but mechanics and concepts fall under the mechanical/logical side, not the creative, so advice and help is my strong points, not being the source of the creativity. Also, I don't let anyone read anything I do write cause all of it is used more as a personal journal.

Oh, just for the record, you can peel raw potatoes, and mash them into a poltice for burns as well. It is not as antibacterial as honey, but it is definately good for burns! It has to be wrapped with clean cloths to keep it on!

Small sassafrass leaves stuffed in a sock and smashed with a hammer until slimy, apply as a poultice overnight. I grew up using it for infections and have seen it take out infections when doctors said amputation was the only solution.

aloe vera is good too, not sure where it grows wild though.