Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet food as survival food

Default Pet food as survival food

I don't know if it would taste very good, but it would beat starving. Would you eat dog food to stay alive? How would you prepare it? Any brand preference?

Corndog - I actually went on a dog food diet a couple of years ago. It was Purina Chow and it was actually pretty tasty. I found if you add garlic and some fried onion it's really pretty good. The down side was that I wound up in the hospital in intensive care for three weeks. It wasn't the dog food diet that caused it. I was in the road lickin' my bu** and got hit by a car.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

LOL @ Rick.

Cody Lunin talks a little bit about eating dog food in his new book. It is amazing what people will eat to survive. Just make sure that none of the ingredients came from China. Oh yeah... don't forget the A1 sauce! And stay out of the road when licking yourself.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 12-19-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

I couldn't resist. Sorry, it was just too good of a setup. Anywhoo.

Dog food is just the by products that most folks won't eat along with some fillers. Things like organs, blood, and offal. Some even contain rice or wheat. Check the ingredients. I doubt it is very tasty since it's not designed for human consumption (you know how finicky we humans are). But in an emergency situation, any port in a storm.

I once walked into our unlit kitchen and ripped open a package of beef jerky. As I stood there eating it, my wife asked what I was doing. Duh!? That's for the dog she told me. I'm still here and it was pretty darn good.

Yes, Corndog. I would eat dog food to stay alive. I'd eat it raw or warmed up if it's cold and I had the means. As for brand, any can or bag printed in English. There is a story of some Marines on Tinean Island drinking the worst sake they'd run across only to find out later it was insect repellent. Don't know if it's true but if I can't read it, I don't eat it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Also, you would want canned over dry because of the longer shelf life.

Quote:"Dog food is just the by products that most folks won't eat along with some fillers. Things like organs, blood, and offal."
    If people new what ingredients went into hotdogs, I don't think the would eat them as much.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 12-19-2007 at 07:14 PM.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Man, that is a great point. Hot Dogs are quiz food. (What's inside, mom? I don't know honey, eat your lunch.) So is bologna.

Here's an article on dog food:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_food

I think I'd go with Pedigree.....'cause I'm worth it.

Blog Entries

Cool Alpo-mania!

I would definetely eat my dog's food as we don't buy her pet food. She eats the same things we do as the stuff made for pets causes her a lot of
    "diareha." Pet food costs more, in comparison to what we buy. Hmmm, shoulda asked if you would eat your pet in a survival situation.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Dinty Moore beef stew, dog food? need I say more.

The recent pet food recall reminded me of a medical report released many years ago that indicated pet food, specifically Alpo, is consumed at a higher rate in the U.S. by humans than by dogs. It purportedly is a staple for the homeless. Anything to it?

I have heard often that the elderly eat alot of canned dog food because it is cheaper than human food
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

yech.....that offal is awful...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

is i was u i would boil it and turn it into porage yum i tride dog food my self not dog meet the dry stuff it was suprisingly nice haha i had bad breth haha i only had 10 little dry things or you could fry or rost the wet food
    im born a hunter four life no one can change that

Blog Entries

Oh my God!!!!!!!! Okay I have eat'n dog food (dry not canned). I know Trax, but I had to try it bro, and I have eat'n dog biscuits also and did this when in the army. I used to load up one of my cargo pockets with Fig Newtons on a patrol and scout that would take 3 or 4 hours, and a good friend would put dog biscuits in his. I ran out of fig newtons and we got extended in the field so I chomped on some his dog biscuits with him. Okay now that that is said, go ahead and let me have it And if I could lick my own balls like my dog I would never leave the house
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Okay, for the younger generation on here, we're talking about baseballs. Licking a baseball enables you to throw a spit ball (also called a mud ball or a shine ball) making it more difficult for the batter to hit the ball. They are illegal to use in a game, by the way. Obviously, Beo's dog licks his baseballs, which would also be illegal to use in a game.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, my bad. Yeah I'm a baseball pitcher just don't get caught throwing spit balls.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Potty mouth, what's up bro ya coming over to Montana in Jan. for the interview or what? I'll call ya this weelend, Sunday at 8pm. And I remember ya trying those dog biscuits, lol... as I remember ya spit them out but when ya got hungry ya woofed them down... that was some funny sh*t too. Oh pardon my french.

My dog's name was stir-fry , just so he knows how I fill about him. But he's 10 yrs old now so I changed he's name to slow cooker
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

That's too funny, Smok. I'll bet that old dog looks up at you and you tell him, "I got some bar-b-que sauce around here. Don't be lookin' at me like that." And he sort of whines and goes hide behind the couch. Peekin' around the corner at you.

Your just about right on there Rick
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

When I was a little tike and starting in the scouts. We had an Assistant Scout Master we called Gravy Train. Mr Greg Trainer. Once when we were out on a weekender he brought out a bag of what he called Beef Crunches.

When you have had nothing to eat for over a day and you are offered Beef Crunches, You eat and be glad you got it. You guessed it. Gravy Train!

Now I do not remember the Scout Masters name but Mr. Greg Trainer will be in my memories for as long as I live. Good Memories.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!