Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Kit to Keep in the Vehicle

Cars and trucks shrink stuff too....?
    DW shrinks mine all the time, especially around the waist.....I feel your pain....wait a second, (unbuttom pants)...yeah, better......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I carry a leatherman.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
    I carry a leatherman.
    i do too as part of my full kit
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I like the layer approach:

1 st layer- Pockets, stuff you ALWAYS carry.
    2nd- Jackets, coveralls, jump suits etc. (mine are generally designed to do some type of work, hunting, fishing, etc
    3rd- Fanny pack/vest, (do take this hunting, fishing, 4 wheeling, boating)
    4th- Carry packs, in home/garage/retreat and vehicle.
    5th- Vehicle it self.
    6th- Home its self. (Most of your preps).

Our BOV is just a plain black "Everyman" 1999 Ford F-150 Crew cab, 4 X 4. No markings OR since I wrote this F-250 out-fitted the same way, pretty much.

Looks like average Joe’s on-pavement daily driver. BUT
    Heavy duty springs and shocks, bigger mud/snow tires.

It's possible that this is over kill, but it fits pretty well.

Carries full compliment of "get out of "stuck" gear"....ax, hatchet, shovels, jacks (3), one “48“ farmer jack, tow straps, 30ft chain, come-a long, chainsaw, 2-1/2 gal stabilized gas or 19 volt electric chain saw....

Air compressor, fix a flat kits (plugs), road side kit w/light sticks, and road flares.

12 battery cables/booster battery, inverter, battery charger/booster/ extension cords/splitters

Fix-a-flat (cans) WD-40, starter fluid, "Heat", spare belt, fuses. (and Manual)

Pretty full set of hand tools.

Cold weather/hunting clothing/boots, w/ fully loaded pockets.

Sleeping bags/pad, dome tent, tarps, duck tape, several lengths/sizes rope/cordage

Spare glasses, thumb drive with documents, spare cash, spare meds.

Maps (remember those?)

First aid kit

10 day emergency food,( modeled after;

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago104.html

2 pounds of coffee

2-1/2 gal water (in season), water purification, basic cooking, first aid, lighting (flashlights, Colman lantern, 12 volt trouble light, candles/candle lantern, fire extinguisher, propane heater.

Weather radio, CB's-(on board/portable), Motorola Walkie talkies, battery powered scanner, GPS's (on board/portable) 12v to 115 v inverter…..spare batteries.

12 ga shotgun (various ammo) .22/22mag revolver (various ammo) This varies by season and CCW of the day.
    Packaged fishing rod/reel/stuff.

Mostly everything is packed in various belt bags/back packs/shoulder bags, to grab and go.
    AND 3 lb coffee can, w/TP and oil dry in it.

Hope this helps, your on the right track, and remember: Old Mountain saying:
    The more you know, the less you have to carry……or get a bigger truck, after a bad case of , one more thing- ites.
    this sounds like everything im gonna be doing to the next one lol
    Its better to Have it and not need it, then need it and not have it

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Something to keep in mind, if you leave a bag of cloths packed up for a long time, they somehow SHRINK while stored. I found that the pants I had in the jeep, did not fit anymore, I am blaming this strange Occurrence on the 2012 pole shift/planet alignment. So any long term clothing storage needs to be checked for this strange Occurrence.
    .....was the occurance in 2012 thanks giving and xmas :P

Quote Originally Posted by BoltActionJLA View Post
    .....was the occurance in 2012 thanks giving and xmas :P
    Yep exactly, thats why i know it had something to do with the mayan calender ending.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    "I've gotta' remember to pick up some new wool blankets. The two [wool blankets] I carry in the Mustang ... are part of a small lot of gray wool military blankets I picked up years ago. They're warm as can be but scratchier than you can imagine. ..."
    Ken a suggestion. Instead of buying new ones, a simple, less expensive remedy for the scratchy wool blankets, is buy a flannel sheet the size of, or larger, than the blankets and use that as a "liner." Works for me.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ... 2 MREs, and some other stuff I can't think of at the moment. 2 rolls of toilet paper.
    Rick, How do you deal with the high heat, in the vehicle during the summer, on the MREs? I keep planning to put some in my truck but figure the summer heat would not be good for them...
    Even the Dalai Lama had to bug out…

Banned

KH, you're in Canada, how hot can it get there in the summer? Obviously, I'm not Rick, but I can suggest three things I would do to better keep any MRE stored in an auto in edible condition: 1) Use reflective windshield screens and leave your windows slightly vented to reduce the greenhouse heating during the day. 2) Store your MREs out of direct sunlight to further reduce temperature swings. 3) Rotate them out every few months with new ones and then eat the older ones on your next outing or expedition. No sense letting them go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by KhonHd View Post
    Rick, How do you deal with the high heat, in the vehicle during the summer, on the MREs? I keep planning to put some in my truck but figure the summer heat would not be good for them...
    Wonder how our troops deal with this?.......I think they just eat what is there....even after stiitng in storage for a few years or so...or on a tarmack some where nasty.

I really don't like MRE all that much, but I think everyone should eat one on Thankgiving....as a true was of saying 'Thanks"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Id, try and get stuff thats dehydrated, it cant really go bad if its vacuum sealed and has no water in it

The vehicles have tinted windows and the MRE's are not in direct sunlight. In my truck, they are in my get home bag and in the van they are in the rear storage tray. I try to rotate them every 6 months. I don't think freezing and thawing would be any better than high heat for them. You aren't going to ruin them by high heat or freezing. They will still be edible. They may not look as appetizing or taste quite as good but they will still be safe to eat.

As to dehydrated that requires water and a fire source. While I have both in my vehicles if I can eat without the use of water and fire then it saves my water for drinking and my fuel for staying warm or boiling water.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

What I'd add:

BIC lighters
    Bleach dropper bottle
    Headlamp/flashlight
    emergency blanket/tarp
    Work gloves

I don't look at my car kit as a long term kit or a BOB. It's an overnighter or 48hr bag. I'm not as well stocked as Ken, but there have been times when I've needed gloves or a blanket and I had them when others didn't.

Goog

Rick, you can keep your water from freezing by adding vodka to it.

1 part water 4 parts vodka? Is that right?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I switched out all my MREs in my vehicles with mainstay bars. They take up less space, and I don't have to worry about the freeze/thaw cycle, or overheating.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee