Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "HELMETS"......Survival Helmets.....What works....?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default "HELMETS"......Survival Helmets.....What works....?

Sorry.....I don't have a answer. I have seven helmets. Some for logging, Snow machining, construction hard hats, motorcycle, bicycles, roller blading, etc.. So is there a perfect bug'out helmet.......OK, not perfect, but more gooder choice. I am thinking maybe rock climbing or white water helmet might be best. So have you got a brain'bucket in your Bug'out Bag......? You never thought about it right......what about the children? Kevlar, Plastic, Steel, military battle'helmet....????

So what is the single best "Survival Helmet"........?????

I have a ski helmet that I started wearing 4 years ago (just caps before that) that saved me from some serious damage a few times.
    Only three years ago I took a spill on a double diamond icy slope, hit my head and my whole body hard against ice--broke a shoulder, not even a bruise on the head.
    Never thought of taking the helmet with me in the BOB because A. it's very bulky and B. can't really imagine a scenario where it would be indispensable.
    At least I haven't thought of it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would think guys who plan to jump in their BOV with their BOB, and haul arse 97 MPH out of Dodge City, might want to wear a helmet while driving. As too it's being bulky, why not pack clothing inside, or breakable things inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I would think guys who plan to jump in their BOV with their BOB, and haul arse 97 MPH out of Dodge City, might want to wear a helmet while driving. As too it's being bulky, why not pack clothing inside, or breakable things inside.
    I guess it doesn't hurt to have it in a BOV. (me, I'm walkin')
    When I travel, I do pack breakables in the helmet but it's still takes a lot of room and in a bug out scenario I can't imagine how it would be a must have, over say a tent or a sleeping bag (which I don't have, btw)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I guess it doesn't hurt to have it in a BOV. (me, I'm walkin')

Question: Could all of the human thingies in NYC fit on the ground with-in the city at the same time.....? Or do they need to be stacked on different floors. I know that Tokyo can not even come close too everyone being out of the building and on the ground at the same time. Just quivering, undulating, swarm of humanity, not grasp'able when I go weeks in the winter without seeing a human.

Question: Could all of the human thingies in NYC fit on the ground with-in the city at the same time.....? Or do they need to be stacked on different floors. I know that Tokyo can not even come close too everyone being out of the building and on the ground at the same time. Just quivering, undulating, swarm of humanity, not grasp'able when I go weeks in the winter without seeing a human.
    I'm afraid we all gotta be stacked to fit.
    It bothers me, I miss a house and a yard (used to have it before we moved here 20yrs. ago) and I am not a fan of close quarters with strangers anyway.
    That's why when we go to Utah to ski we go there to also recharge our batteries so we can go without going postal.

SD - I keep a couple of hard hats in the vehicles. and one in each CERT backpack. More for search & rescue or clearing debris/tree type situations.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have pondered that same question. And this is what I found as the best:

( I did not say I can afford it)

The caving (spelunking) helmet is small and fits tight. Some have lights.
    All cost money.

I had to settle for a $5 hard hat.

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mertell View Post
    The caving (spelunking) helmet is small and fits tight.

Thanks.....I'll look them up.......

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I keep one in the Jeep and on the ATV otherwise I never gave it a thought. I always wear one riding the ATV or trail bike otherwise no. I wore or carried a hard hat for 32yrs and wore it only when I thought I might need it or when the boss was around, wore one way back when I worked in the mines otherwise I just don't like them and wouldn't wear one iffin' I wasn't so crazy on the bike or ATV. Face shield does keep the bugs down and the rain doesn't sting my face.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Never gave a helmet a thought.
    I guess I have to ask "why"?

I do have my hard hat, wear it when "logging".
    Probably should when riding the 4-wheelers, but don't.
    Do wear one on a motorcycle.
    Did wear one while racing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I started wearing one like this for "high work" (to me that is anything above the second rung of a ladder). Just enough protection to keep the "brain housing group" intact in the event of a fall or banging on stuff. I had not thought about carrying one in the BOB or BOV, but will do so now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Sourdough, paint me a story so I can see where a survival helmet might come in handy.

Benesse,, If I may butt in with my unsolicited view. Since reading this post I "chewed over" some things and I can see an advantage. In my past life I had to move in and out of unfamiliar areas, and have had my head saved by wearing a helmet (in these cases military helmets) when I whacked it on an unexpected obstacle (beams, door ways etc) and in at least in one case when I went a** over tea kettles down a darkened step. Around the house, I fell once and the helmet (the one similar to the picture above)took the brunt of the impact on a counter in the kitchen. My opinion after thinking through Sourdoughs post that it could be handy moving through unfamiliar ares
    Last edited by Pal334; 01-23-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Benesse,, If I may butt in with my unsolicited view. Since reading this post I "chewed over" some things and I can see an advantage. In my past life I had to move in and out of unfamiliar areas, and have had my head saved by wearing a helmet (in these cases military helmets) when I whacked it on an unexpected obstacle (beams, door ways etc) and in at least in one case when I went a** over tea kettles down a darkened step. Around the house, I fell once and the helmet (the one similar to the picture above)took the brunt of the impact on a counter in the kitchen. My opinion after thinking through Sourdoughs post that it could be handy moving through unfamiliar ares
    No question that it could be handy.
    I was just wondering (in light of keeping everything lean) why I'd want to add it to my BOB when I don't even carry a tent, a sleeping bag or a hammock.
    I don't have a compelling answer, I'm just wondering.

It's a reasonable idea but I don't have one for buggin' out. The right knoggin wrap for the right sport. I do have a couple of hard hats from "the good ole days" but that's it.

I certainly don't foresee needing one in a bug out situation because of other folks. That would just draw attention to yourself and that's the one thing you don't one if you're with a bazillion other fleeing cretins. I can see where it might be a good thing if the walls of Jericho come a tumblin' down.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, let's say NYC suffer a Earth Quake, or terrorist bombing, or someone is shooting at you with there survival .22LR, or say you are going house to house under the cover of darkness, looking for survival supplies. Running for your life, in near total darkness in the woods, crashing into trees and limbs, falling off mountains, tumbling down a class 4 white water river. Riding in the back of a open pick-up truck trying to get out of NYC. And ten thousand more. Shoveling the snow off my roof when you get here.....

Well, let's say NYC suffer a Earth Quake, or terrorist bombing, or someone is shooting at you with there survival .22LR, or say you are going house to house under the cover of darkness, looking for survival supplies. Running for your life, in near total darkness in the woods, crashing into trees and limbs, falling off mountains, tumbling down a class 4 white water river. Riding in the back of a open pick-up truck trying to get out of NYC. And ten thousand more. Shoveling the snow off my roof when you get here.....
    In that case a survival helmet wouldn't make the top of my list but this would: http://www.cornershot.com/
    Maybe it's just me...a girl newbie at that!

Banned
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Rick;187365]
    I certainly don't foresee needing one in a bug out situation because of other folks. QUOTE]

Might be handy if your going to chase punks around the neighborhood, or if someone mistakes you for a zombie, and ball bats your head.......

Motorcycle half helmet...but then I ride too. LOL

D.O.M.