Thread: hammock winter camping 2013

Default hammock winter camping 2013

my first time sleeping in hammock overnight it was really comfortable and way better then a tent i felt more safer in a hammock, well here is some pics 563666_644022122281110_630876759_n.jpg19091_644022118947777_2128546714_n.jpg17282_10151529801322107_1831535361_n.jpg540098_10151529800837107_1836024932_n.jpg73122_10151527369042107_1678071649_n.jpg
    Last edited by akkayla; 04-08-2013 at 08:06 PM.

How does it do for warmth?, I would think it would be warmer than a tent as its a lot smaller!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

it was great for warmth i had 3 coats ,ski pants and 3 blankets on lol
    Last edited by akkayla; 04-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.

If you use and under quilt you will stay toasty warm. If you're not familiar with them - basically a blanket on the outside to the hammock. You won't compress it, so you won't have any cold spots. If you have an extra sleeping bag, they make good under quilts. You can always make your own too. There are quite a few vids on Youtube to show how to use them.

Looks like a good trip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

oh thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If you use and under quilt you will stay toasty warm. If you're not familiar with them - basically a blanket on the outside to the hammock. You won't compress it, so you won't have any cold spots. If you have an extra sleeping bag, they make good under quilts. You can always make your own too. There are quite a few vids on Youtube to show how to use them.

Looks like a good trip.
    Never heard of that thanks for the tip!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Yep. I like to sleep in hammocks during warmer weather. Otherwise, I find that I may slide down in the hammock with a sleeping bag or can get cold underneath because of compression while warm on top.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Yep. I like to sleep in hammocks during warmer weather. Otherwise, I find that I may slide down in the hammock with a sleeping bag or can get cold underneath because of compression while warm on top.
    You need to look into under quilts as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When it's colder, I go to the ground with an inflatable 3/4 length pad and tarp.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Good Camp.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Thanks for the pic's....looks like a good camp.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

go to hammock forums. they are the encylcopedia of hammock camping. i recently went to a "hang out" at savage gulf and the temps got down to 22*. I got cold cuz the underquilt that i bought had not come in the mail yet. i used one sleeping bag around the outside of my hammock and ccf pad from wally world. then about 3 am. i busted out the heavy sleeping bag and put in the hammock with me and i got a little warmer, i still froze. of course my underquilt came 2 days after i got back. underquilts are pricey but worth it. i suggest looking up SHUG on hammock forums and youtube he has 10 videos for beginning hammockers and he is hilarious. also you may want to look into a top quilt as well. welcome to hammock camping. you will never go back to the ground again

Yup I agree invest in an under quilt, best investment I've made. I've been in a hammock in negative degree weather and have been reasonably comfortable with my under quilt