Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member say HI

Tool & Die Maker

Default New member say HI

I found this forum while searching for a personal project. I'm interested in building a Cobray Derringer and looking for side plates and other parts. Anything in the way of fire arms has become hard to find.

I'm an accomplished Tool & Die Maker, retired, with a machine shop in my garage. I can make any gunpart if I have an idea what it looks like. This is my first gun build project. Been searching the internet for days looking for those Cobray side plates. A CAD drawing would be fantastic but no such luck. Right now I would settle for a template or tracing of these side plates.

I have a few people I can call tomorrow, Monday, to try to buy these parts. But, I'm willing to bet they will all be sold out so I'm searching for options.

I quite well known on the internet. Do a search for most any machine shop function with my name article I have written should pop up. ******************************

If someone can help with my project contace me a ****************8

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by Sarge47; 04-07-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Personal links.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Forums, Jim. Nice shop you have there.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Hi jim, welcome aboard.. Just so you know you can put your web address in your signature line.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    PM'ed ya back.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Greetings from AZ!
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Welcome aboard! If you like you can go to your "edit profile" page and add your personal info on your signature line, that way it will show up every time you post something.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Anyone get a reply on there PM's to this guy? Im wondering if this wasnt just a classy spam job for his machine shop!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Welcome to the forums.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Welderguy, It would be a wasted effort. Anyone with any real info on the derringer and parts would already have one. Small machine shops are not that hard to find.

I made mine 15 years ago and swore I would buy the next sideplates I needed.

The company that makes the derringer kit at one time made a wide selection of kits. Unfortunately they no longer make the one I want, an O/U 410/22.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Anyone get a reply on there PM's to this guy? Im wondering if this wasnt just a classy spam job for his machine shop!!
    Not really a spam job. I have plans to manufacture ammunition, since we cannot buy it, and I need some kind of cheap gun to test the homemade ammo with.

As for my machine shop, work is painfully slow and I'm using my spare time constructively I hope. So ya, if you have work I'll look at it.

Info on the Cobray derringers is so scarce I'm wondering if I could make CAD drawings of the parts, then sell the CAD drawings on Ebay.

Our economy is so bad we need to think outside the box to make money. Trust me I would rather be building automated machines and systems or some CNC production work instead of making guns.

Not sure what you talk about here but when it comes to manufacturing I'm a wealth of information. I'm also an Eagle Boyscout so I know a liitle bit about the outdoors.
    Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Welcome home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

How How How New member here to share and expand my knowledge, i know its not much but i am a certified cadet survival instructor and ive been learning stuff from my mum since i was little, i hope to take some more courses one day...who knows maybe teach it for a living....but i find that hard to fathom Cheers Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Welderguy, It would be a wasted effort. Anyone with any real info on the derringer and parts would already have one. Small machine shops are not that hard to find.

I made mine 15 years ago and swore I would buy the next sideplates I needed.

The company that makes the derringer kit at one time made a wide selection of kits. Unfortunately they no longer make the one I want, an O/U 410/22.
    Well thanks for the info, I would of liked a 410/22 o/u .

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    Not really a spam job. I have plans to manufacture ammunition, since we cannot buy it, and I need some kind of cheap gun the test the homemade ammo with.

As for my machine shop, work is painfully slow and I'm using my spare time constructively I hope. So ya, if you have work I'll look at it.

Info on the Cobray derringers is so scarce I'm wondering if I could make CAD drawings of the parts, then sell the
    CAD drawings on Ebay.

Our economy is so bad we need to think outside the box to make money. Trust me I would rather be building
    automated machine and systems or some CNC production work instead of making guns.

Not sure what you talk about here but when it comes to manufacturing I'm a wealth of information. I'm also an Eagle Boyscout so I know a liitle bit about the outdoors.
    Jim
    Awesome, Nice to see your reply, it says your for reals.

Blog Entries

Default well now...

Quote Originally Posted by BoltActionJLA View Post
    How How How New member here to share and expand my knowledge, i know its not much but i am a certified cadet survival instructor and ive been learning stuff from my mum since i was little, i hope to take some more courses one day...who knows maybe teach it for a living....but i find that hard to fathom Cheers Jesse
    Rather than hijack somebody else's thread you should start one of your own...this will help:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...r-Introduction

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

this one said to say hello, thats the title of the thread so i said hello not meaning to hijack it lol but thanks for the info

Blog Entries

Post Well, ya see....

Quote Originally Posted by BoltActionJLA View Post
    this one said to say hello, thats the title of the thread so i said hello not meaning to hijack it lol but thanks for the info
    I only posted it in case you wanted the membership on here to take you seriously.....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Thank you i posted my intro as it said to do