Thread: Good survival literature

Default Good survival literature

A lot of the survival books and guides I have read seem to be packed with the same information. I have read The SAS Survival Guide by "Lofty", US Army Survival manuel FM 21-76, Idiots Guide to Wilderness Survival (LOL). Out of these, they pretty much cover the same basics. I have been searching for lterature with more specific, or different information and this is what I got so far:
    First, another Survival Manuel but this one goes a little above and beyond. The Ultimate Survival Manuel by Outdoor Life, Rich Johnson. It has 4 sections with out of the box scenerios, Essentials, Wilderness, Disaster, and Urban. Some reduntant info that is in all the books but some new good stuff.
    Next, The Forager's Harvest Guide Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer. This book cover all basic skills needed to identify, harvest, process, and perserve wild edible plants. It also has a pretty small section of plants that the Author has harvested himself. I like that because it is real first hand knowledge. Not just reprint of something read somewhere else.
    Then I ordered Edible Wild Plants (Eastern/Central North America) and Medical Plants and Herbs (Eastern/Central North America), Both Published by Peterson Field Guides. They have alot more detailed desciption of plants and their uses. They are primarily for identifying.
    I have also came across a great magazine. The Backwoodsman put out by US Almanac. This magazine is great. I haven't subscribed yet but I buy it every month. It is packed with all types of usefull knowledge, too much to list. But it not only teaches wilderness skills, there are things like plans for $44 boats, how the build guns etc..etc...etc. Great magazine and I recommend everyone checking it out.
    This is what I have read recently and the specialized books have left me a lot better prepared. I have also just ordered Back to the Basics, A Complete Guide to the Traditional Skills, by Abigail R. Gehring and Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game by John J. Mettler.
    Does anyone have anymore suggestions that contain good skills and do not follow the same boilerplate of survival guides? Also, If you have read either of the books I just ordered, please share what you thought.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

wrong thread nothing to see sorry !!!!
    Last edited by welderguy; 04-06-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: wrong thread
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

same reason as above sorry
    Last edited by welderguy; 04-06-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks Rick. Guess thats where I should've posted this in the first place...