Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bat $h!+ as fire starter...you asked for it

  1. #1
    Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.
    Posts
    264

    Default Bat $h!+ as fire starter...you asked for it

    Okay, I guess I gotta put my money where my mouth is. I did a little homework after bringing this up in the NK thread:

    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...l=1#post390383

    The quesiton is, can you use bat guano as a firestarter? The answer is...maybe. I have no source of bat S#!+ to use for testing...maybe someone out there has a ready source. Bat guano is an excellent source of Potassium Nitrate, aka Salt Peter. Salt peter is a primary component in the manufacture of black powder and is the oxidizer used in conjunction with charcoal. As an oxidizer, it provides the oxygen needed to create the fast burn associated with gunpowder.

    To produce potassium nitrate, soak the guano in water,then allow to evaporate. The crystals remaining after the water is gone will contain a high KNO3 content and can be used as an oxidizer.

    My theory is, soak your charcloth in the water/guano solution, allow to dry, and put a spark to it....


    Okay, I didn't say this was s GREAT idea. I'm just following up on what I started.

    Goog


  2. #2
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    56,027

    Default

    I am not soaking by loin cloth in .... or wait. You said....never mind.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I am not soaking by loin cloth in .... or wait. You said....never mind.
    Rick in case you forget and soak your loin cloth , at least remember to take it off before you light it up !
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

  4. #4
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogamooga View Post
    Okay, I guess I gotta put my money where my mouth is. I did a little homework after bringing this up in the NK thread:

    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...l=1#post390383

    The quesiton is, can you use bat guano as a firestarter? The answer is...maybe. I have no source of bat S#!+ to use for testing...maybe someone out there has a ready source. Bat guano is an excellent source of Potassium Nitrate, aka Salt Peter. Salt peter is a primary component in the manufacture of black powder and is the oxidizer used in conjunction with charcoal. As an oxidizer, it provides the oxygen needed to create the fast burn associated with gunpowder.

    To produce potassium nitrate, soak the guano in water,then allow to evaporate. The crystals remaining after the water is gone will contain a high KNO3 content and can be used as an oxidizer.

    My theory is, soak your charcloth in the water/guano solution, allow to dry, and put a spark to it....


    Okay, I didn't say this was s GREAT idea. I'm just following up on what I started.

    Goog
    You are a man of your word...and your theory does have merit......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  5. #5

    Default

    Problem is, that theory is supplementing the spark strike method.

  6. #6

    Default

    potassium nitrate + sugar = rocket fuel. The fuel is the sugar, and the potassium nitrate is the oxidizer. What you need is a fuel that is not stable with potassium nitrate in it.

  7. #7
    Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwi555 View Post
    Problem is, that theory is supplementing the spark strike method.
    Theory #2: soak your fireboard in the guano/water mixture, allow to dry, then try a bow drill. Actually, probably a bad idea, as you want the ember to form in a low oxygen environment.

    Goog

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogamooga View Post
    Theory #2: soak your fireboard in the guano/water mixture, allow to dry, then try a bow drill. Actually, probably a bad idea, as you want the ember to form in a low oxygen environment.

    Goog
    I am going to suggest giving up the potassium nitrate idea. Many combinations of it end up with an explosive/flash powder/rocket fuel etc. It is not something to monkey with in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwi555 View Post
    I am going to suggest giving up the potassium nitrate idea. Many combinations of it end up with an explosive/flash powder/rocket fuel etc. It is not something to monkey with in my opinion.
    I never said it was a good idea. If anybody tries any of this, I'll be amazed.

    Goog

  10. #10
    Quality Control Director Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,719
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogamooga View Post
    I have no source of bat S#!+ to use for testing...
    May I suggest that you relocate your residence to a cave somewhere? Perhaps near Gotham City?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •