Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One of us is bluffing!

Banned

I'd have to concur with much of post #19. Tame bulls and billies can be quite unpredictable. Even an animal you've worked with for years. Might be something as simple as a scent in the air could have them in an unusually aggressive demeanor. One minute their no problem at all, the next they could have you pinned down or on a fence. Personally, I wouldn't want the liability of having one around the public.

$0.02

I've heard horror stories about bottle raised white-tailed deer bucks too.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 04-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dachsiemama View Post
    By the way, I used to see a woman riding a Holstein COW around the streets of Canon City, Colorado, back in the 1990s. She had her saddled and bridled, and that cow plodded along just as pretty as you please. It was quite a sight.

Our neighbors up on the mountain bought a couple of Texas longhorn steers when they were just yearlings, about the size of yours, Lone Wolf. After about five years, they were each about the size of a pickup truck, with horns almost as wide as the truck. I'm pretty certain that what you've been seeing ridden in the movies are STEERS, not bulls. You can do about anything with a steer (they used to be called oxen, you know, and were the standard, placid draft animal of a bygone age), but a bull, as I said in my previous post, is a whole different animal. His attitude is that HE is the Master of the Universe, and he'll be happy to show anyone how and why. If blood has to be spilled to prove his point, he'll be quite willing to oblige, but it won't be his blood.

And don't put any faith in that puny barb-wire fence being enough to stop him when he's angry! Once he and his horns get big enough, he'll rip that fence out of the ground with them, and if he's charging someone or something, he'll just keep a-comin', right through that barb-wire - I don't care if you have TWENTY strands of it on railroad-tie posts set three feet deep and in concrete! He may top out at over 2,000 lbs. someday, if you don't shoot or sell him first. Don't EVER take your eyes off him while you're anywhere around him, even if you're in the pasture and he's clear on the other side of it - he can sneak up on you before you ever know he's there, and run a whole lot faster than you can!

If you aren't planning on using him to sire calves, why don't you do yourself, your family and friends and the rest of society a HUGE favor, save lives and ease minds, and castrate ol' Thunderstorm this week, while you can still knock him over and do it!!! Keep a baby bull calf, castrate it, and start over AT THE BEGINNING, where it's a whole lot safer and easier, until you have your "riding bovine." I feel safe in saying, you've already ruined this one.
    Ya'll sure do things different in NY. Down here we learn young not to make assumptions of things we know nothing about. Bad accident in front of the pasture last night. Notice the halter and lead rope on the little guy. I considered it parade training. Thanks for your assumptions!~

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Most animals use eye contact as a way of displaying dominance and submissive behavior. If you don't believe me try to stare at your dog. It will keep looking away because direct eye contact with you is a challenge for dominance. Unless, of course, your dog owns you. Cat's won't do that. They will just get up and move then suck the breath out of while you sleep.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Most animals use eye contact as a way of displaying dominance and submissive behavior. If you don't believe me try to stare at your dog. It will keep looking away because direct eye contact with you is a challenge for dominance. Unless, of course, your dog owns you. Cat's won't do that. They will just get up and move then suck the breath out of while you sleep.
    The post was meant to be humorous. None of the pictures are of actual training I have done. With the exception of the parade training he supervised EMS for 2 hours walking around with me on the lead rope in the flashing lights. The other pictures were just meant to be humorous. But, I do believe I could stare him down, but only if I lived in NY..... Can't do it here.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Well, mine was serious. Cats will really do that!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, mine was serious. Cats will really do that!
    See now there is animal that is just not right! I don't like 'em around me at all. People should worry more about cats and less about bulls in my experience!

Amen. The only good cat is one cooked at 450 for 1 hour. Oh, that does NOT apply to Gotham Cat and Survival Kitty. But they aren't REAL cats.

Amen. The only good cat is one cooked at 450 for 1 hour. Oh, that does NOT apply to Gotham Cat and Survival Kitty. But they aren't REAL cats.
    Cat ladies creep me out, they have like 49 cats. How do you feed 49 cats? You'd be there for hours at the can opener. One of them things I never could comprehend.

Everything I can find online says that trying to keep a bull as a pet is a bad idea. They can be real easy going and one day without warning they turn into killers. My grandfather raised beef and dairy cows but would never allow a bull on his property. Even with polled angus steers there were times when it just seemed like a good idea to stay on the opposite side of the fence from them. One of the reasons my grandparents would leave me to take care of the farm when they went on vacation is that they knew I had good instincts around animals. My instincts are telling me that he will not tolerate these "games" for very much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by MareRick
    They can be real easy going and one day without warning they turn into killers.

There's a member warning in the forum rules that says the same thing about moderators. Almost verbatim. Minus the easy going part.