Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For my BOB... An extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    In persons that are not allergic to an insect sting, I.E. bee and wasps, there is really very little benefit in trying to extract the toxin. It doesnt reduce the Itch or sting, To be honest an extractor does have a place in a medical kit, It is a good tool for extracting puss from boils that have been lanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    "Hooooock. Hooooock. Did you have to post.....Hoooock.....that?
    Better get a bigger extractor.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

HAHAHAHa I bet Rick looses his cookies !!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I have one, not sure if it will do much good, if any good.... on a snake bite... BUT it works like gold for bee stings, etc!!

HTH,
    EB

The reason extractors don't work is that the venom is absorbed through tissue quickly. The venom of bees, wasps, spiders etc. absorb the same way. so, how then is the extractor more effective on those types of envenom instances? Bee stings warrant fast removal of the stinger. Because, the bee disembowels the stinger and it continues to pump while in you. Quickly removing the stinger is important. Studies show that pinching and pulling and scraping show no greater increase in discomfort. But, I still scrape to avoid pinching out extra venom.

My single use for my extractor in all the many years I owned it was when my brother Sean had this golf ball sized cyst on the back of his leg behind his knee. After it popped naturally I used that extractor to extract the rest of the pussy stuff. That was nasty as all hell. LOL

My drill will be stay calm, seek immediate medical attention, get "Venom One" on the case asap. Mark and monitor the bite every 15 minutes. I know my snakes. But, the anti-venom for all but the coral snake down here is the same. Anti-venom for coral snakes has been discontinued due to lack of demand. Though it can be brought from Mexico.

Crofab is the anti venom for all pit vipers , All supplies of coral snake anti venom expired in 2009 from what I have heard!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Crofab is the anti venom for all pit vipers , All supplies of coral snake anti venom expired in 2009 from what I have heard!!
    Crofab is a company and not an anti-venom. They produce a sheep based anti-venom.

http://www.miamidade.gov/fire/librar...es-covered.pdf

Like I said. You can get coral snake anti-venom. But, not here in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Crofab is a company and not an anti-venom. They produce a sheep based anti-venom.

Like I said. You can get coral snake anti-venom. But, not here in Florida.
    No actualy the name of the anti venom is crofab * © CroFab® and DigiFab® are manufactured by/registered trademarks of Protherics US Inc., Brentwood, TN 37027 and distributed by Savage Laboratories

CroFab is the commercial name for a Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune Fab (Ovine) snake antivenom

http://www.crofab.com/about-crofab/production

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Packaging......

You are correct. I was mistaken.

I spoke with a friend of mine a few minutes ago thats an ER doc, and asked him what is the SOP for coral snake bites now that there is no antivenin available. He said they induce a chemical coma, intubate and let the venom wear off. WTF!!!!! I said your joking right, he said nope thats all we got !!!!! They legally cant use anything now because its not FDA approved . He said the MFG that made it stopped because of cost to use ration, apparently its around 1600.00 a vial .

You are correct. I was mistaken.
    Thank you!!!

I spoke with a friend of mine a few minutes ago thats an ER doc, and asked him what is the SOP for coral snake bites now that there is no antivenin available. He said they induce a chemical coma, intubate and let the venom wear off. WTF!!!!! I said your joking right, he said nope thats all we got !!!!! They legally cant use anything now because its not FDA approved . He said the MFG that made it stopped because of cost to use ration, apparently its around 1600.00 a vial .
    I didn't see this when I posted. The stuff I read also said that the coral snake antivenom available from Mexico worked better than the antivenom that was made here. But, because the market is so small here no one is going to pay what the FDA wants to get it approved here.

I didn't see this when I posted. The stuff I read also said that the coral snake antivenom available from Mexico worked better than the antivenom that was made here. But, because the market is so small here no one is going to pay what the FDA wants to get it approved here.
    Yeah I followed up on some reading after I talked to Doc, I think i read its a 1.5 to 3 mill dollars to get an FDA approval. My guess is people will be a lot more willing now to kill the coral snake than before.

As a side note, I wonder if its that costly to get all drugs FDA approved!, who is this money paid to and why does it cost so damn much! ISNT FDA a federal funded organisation?

I'm not sure how funded they are. They've always struck me as an oversight committee, and face it, the big companies can pay the big bucks to get their drug approved. Most we got here are rattlers, which seem to be peaceful enough unless its fall (breeding season).
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.