Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 a big bore?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default .45 a big bore?

In a world of .45lc, .44 mags and such do you consider tha .45acp a big bore/HP pistol?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't have much experience with them, but from what little I know, they are on the heavy side of pistol rounds, no? I guess I would consider it big bore, only because it has more power than what I would and do use recreationally most of the time (.357 mag and less)

If/when I buy a .45 acp, it will be for self-defense weapon purposes, not targets. That is kind of an arbitrary criteria for big-bore vs not, but I'll go with it. I'm more of a long-gun guy anyways
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

I'm going to assume by your username that you already have an opinion on this and are just polling the people. Big bore....just under half an inch is big to me. High power? doesn't feel like it to shoot, but a nice heavy bullet has a lot of kinetic energy. I used to shoot competietive IDPA matches with either a .38 or a 1911. If there was a steel plate stage, I could hit the plate anywhere with the .45 and it went down. With the .38 I had to hit it high on the head. These are ~2' tall man shaped outlines.

All of that said, I would not hunt with a .45acp. Aside from the fact that it would be illegal with a 1911 in my area, I think there are better HUNTING handgun rounds. There are better choices in .44 or .357 in a long barreled revolver.

Im a die hard 45acp fan. so I would say yes its a big bore imo. having owned 45lc,44 also. of course not as big bore as a 50.cal or a S&W 500, or the 454 Casull.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Considering pure bullet diameter, yes it is a big bore. Just a little light on the powder end though!

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

For my shooting purposes, i considering any caliber that starts with a (4) four a big bore. It might help if you were more specific in what kind of a weapon you are refering to, ie; handgun, rifle or shotgun. (Leave out military weapons)

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    In a world of .45lc, .44 mags and such do you consider tha .45acp a big bore/HP pistol?
    Old Professor
    For my shooting purposes, i considering any caliber that starts with a (4) four a big bore. It might help if you were more specific in what kind of a weapon you are refering to, ie; handgun, rifle or shotgun. (Leave out military weapons)
    He said pistol. Um why would you mention a shotgun?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Good question....don't own one, and most .45apc I have heard of, are pistol or carbine style (Thompson & ?) designed as a M & P anti personnel weapon.

So would have to look up ballistics, energy ratings, studies and so forth.......I'll sit back on this one and let y'all have at it.

I'm a bigger fan of hunting rounds.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have 45Lc and a 1911. They are both same in bullet size. I go with big bore if your going by bullet size and not load.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

High powered? Not,, Big bore ,yes
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Big bore, little power.........
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

This is the results from the ammo I carry . for not having much power it sure will drop something in its tracks and makes a big hole
    Test Barrel (5") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    MUZZLE 50 100
    950/461 908/421 872/385

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    This is the results from the ammo I carry . for not having much power it sure will drop something in its tracks and makes a big hole
    Test Barrel (5") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    MUZZLE 50 100
    950/461 908/421 872/385
    I'd still like to see a .45acp mag........
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    OOOOHHHH that would be nice

Sounds like a rimless 45 lc to me.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    Sounds like a rimless 45 lc to me.
    Yeah i guess that would be, HMMMM wonder if thats a possible!!! They make 38 super, 9mm, 10mm in a 1911 platform why not a 44 mag.

The recoil is simply too much for a .45 style action. There's a reason the Desert Eagle is one of the only successful semi-autos in .44 magnum. 1911s use a short-recoil action, where the force of the recoil moves the barrel and slide backwards as one unit, then the barrel stops and disengages as the slide continues rearward and ejects the casing, before coming forward again, reengaging the barrel, and pushing it into firing position. With a .44 magnum, I wouldn't be surprised if this type of action gets quickly destroyed from heavy wear after just a few thousand rounds.

On the Desert Eagle, on the other hand, it uses a similar action to M-16 variants: gas piston impingement. This means that the expanding gasses in the barrel are ported down a tube, forcing a piston back to cycle the action. This can tollerate much higher pressure rounds like the .44 magnum and .50 AE, rounds that would destroy a short-recoil type action.

While theoretically possible to make a .44 magnum 1911 variant, it would need to either use a different action entirely, and thus be 1911 only in cosmetics, or it would have to be modified with a VERY robust recoil spring, significantly heavier slide, and heavier barrel and internals overall.

So you decide you want a .45.......and unless you are going whith a low end whatever, it's gonna cost ya $500 plus.....
    Then you want a .45 acp auto loader, and wish it was a .44 mag?

Or you buy that Colt "Peace maker", clone, as most won't shell out the big bucks for an original, in .45 lc.....then try to soup it up to near .44mag ballistics.....whine about the recoil....

Or go out and spend your money on a for real .44mag, whine about the recoil that "hurt-ed you", so end up shooting expensive .44 Specials, or load down sized loads......you know for varmints......and we are back to the .45 apc.

Yeah, anything with a .45 bullet, 180 gr up....is a big bore, size wise.......
    What is your intended use?.....What do you want to spend?....

There is a app for that.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-05-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A 45 acp or 45 auto rim use to be considered a big bore, now days I'm not sure.

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I do have a 1911 in 10mm Mag. Very satisfying to shoot, but I still prefer .45.

Goog