Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ammo is hard to find

Default ammo is hard to find

I have a .357 magnum, and ammo is pretty tough to find right now. Anyone else having a tough time?:

Many of us are having trouble finding ammo. There's a combination of factors, ranging from uncommonly large orders placed by the government, to panic buying, to hoarding, to people showing up at opening to buy out the store then scalp the stock for triple price at a gun show.

I believe the entire country is having supply issues. I have been able to find almost every caliber that I was looking (not buying, just curious) for. The less expensive sellers (Walmart for one) cannot keep it on their shelves. Other places have some that may be hit or miss as to what they have. My local gun shop (we have a lot of them, but I only call one of them mine) has pretty much everything - just not in the quantities that they had in the past. For example - they have 22lr but will only sell it with the purchase of a 22 - rationale being if you are going to buy a firearm you should be able to buy bullets too.

At a gun show this past weekend I was able to find every caliber that I use. I was not a buyer at the prices offered, but they were available if I needed them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, same here......Glad all of the inventory didn't sink to the bottom of thea river......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am not having any trouble finding ammo in any caliber I use.

I go down the hall and turn left through the second door.

It's called being prepared for emergencies, like ammo shortages.

I know, some of you just started,,,blaa,,,blaa,,,blaa.

Guess what??

You should have started sooner!

SHTF does not care when you started!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Guess what??

That was so well put.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I have several of my friends that are short and have been ask to help. I called around to places that I have bout rom for over twenty years and all are out. I was told by a dealer that I by bulk from that cci has shut down 22 line in order to ramp up lines that have larger orders that they can make more money from. He told me that he was told that they cant give a time that they will resume production. As always military(federal government) gets first dibs, police gets second dibs and civilian gets whats left.
    Guess I am greedy, would like more.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Guess what??

Yup .. me too .. although I wouldn't mind having more Im certain i have enuf .. I haver started noticing we are getting short here too on 22LR ...went round to several gun shops and caME AWAY WITH 5 BRICKS .. also picked up an SKS .762 cal .. very nice weapon .. very cheap ...rifle was $198.00 and came with 100 rounds ... boxes of 500 rounds were $168.00 non corrosive FMJ's .. bought 6 boxes ... waiting on lead tip rounds for hunting !
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

I love this rifle .. I find it easy to use .. fairly light (with the bayonet removed) very accurate .it came with carry strap 2 ammo pouches and 8 stripper clips ...I may go and get another one for the wife .. she likes it as it doesnt have a wicked kick like my old 32 cal model 94 Winchester .. I actually hit what I point at and so far AMMO IS CHEAP AND IN GREAT SUPPLY !!! Can they be bought down there in the USA ??

\20130324_085258.jpg

20130324_085309(1).jpg
    Last edited by birdman6660; 03-26-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Banned

You can still buy the SKS rifle here (for now). But the prices have appreciated with the fears of potential new legislation for all semi-auto rifles. Seems like they start at around $400 if you're lucky and go up from there. Some models like the Yugo and Russian built versions are demanding a bit more than the Chinese Norincos. I was fortunate and got some non-corrosive PSP rounds last fall after waiting months for their backorders to fill.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 03-27-2013 at 10:13 AM.

He is in Canada Cast Iron, whole different situation with the SKS and ammo up there.

There is one place that sells the SKS for $80 if you buy a case of ammo.

All ammo types are still available up there from what others are telling me.

This current thing is manufactured for us by us, with a little help from the politicians.

And CCI is still cranking out a million rounds a day. As are Winchester and Remington along with Wolf, SK, Aquilla and all the others. The entire ammo industry is not conspiring against us. They are simply now facing a panic market that is buying what they should have bought 5 years ago, or ten, or 15.

Sometimes getting sucker punched by some SOB once is not enough, you have to get it twice along with a broken bottle in the face. About then you realize he means business and go buy some ammo.

yeah . we can get most anything still HOWEVER thers not nearly as much stock on the shelves especially 22 cal
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Even thought I have enough ammo I still buy when I can I think I have the ammo disease.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Quote Originally Posted by mwp
    I have several of my friends that are short and have been ask to help.

Short friends are excellent help at gun shows. They can walk right under the tables and avoid the lines. They can easily heist items and no one sees them. The last gun show I went to I took three short friends. I walked out with a huge bag of stuff and them inside.

Oh, come on. I can't believe I'm the only one the ran with that. You folks are slipping.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There have been many ammo threads on various gun related forums. Therhas also been copious whining about "hoarders", "preppers", "price gougers" and other miscreants all of which is total BS. What we are experiencing is normal market dynamics in repsonse to legislation either passed or proposed at both the state and federal level.

For instance, here in NJ we have 76 bills working their way through the legilature. Among them are such items as not being able to buy ammo over the Internet, having to go through a background check to buy ammo, restrictions on types of ammo and calibers, etc. You would have to be living under a rock in NJ to not want to stock up in advance. The same dynamic is going on in other liberal states, and to a lesser degree in red states. The manufacturers and the distribution chain were not able to instantly supply this increased demand. They will ultimately catch up, but in the interim we all just need to cope.

Since this forum has a fair number of survival/prepper participants, most of whom have some level of stock on hand collectively we are in pretty good shape, though some individuals may not have had as much as they would have like in hindsight.

My suggestion would be to take this event as a learning experience and when supply becomes available again, adjust your stocks accordingly.

Sound advice on any related subject.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

KY, I realize BM6660 is one of our neighbors from the north. He asked about the availability of the SKS here in the US, and I replied by describing that particular market in my area. If you read anything else in my response, you misread it.

Ammunition is hard to find because of the perception that government is going to limit its availability. This is a knee jerk reaction by concerned gun owners. I too have added to my stores for this very reason. It doesn't mean I believe this is likely, only possible. Factory management would be insane not to produce all the munitions they could to meet this temporary spike in demand, but it is a bubble. I don't see munition manufacturers making any drastic investments in plants and personnel because demand should gradually move back towards historic levels. There may even be an extended period of oversupply as many buyers have already bought forward all the ammunition they may need for many years to come. If I am correct we'll see prices start to decline with the eventual increase in supplies. For now I'll re-supply what I have to and wait for better value on anything discretionary.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 03-27-2013 at 10:51 AM.

I took the girls to a gun show 2 weeks ago, and they talked a guy into selling us some .22 ammo for a very good price. They just kept giving the guy that little look they have, and he finally crumbled and sold them 1000 rounds. I tried to buy it from the same guy earlier and couldn't deal with him at all. I guess I'm just not built right

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, come on. I can't believe I'm the only one the ran with that. You folks are slipping. [/COLOR]
    When I make short jokes, I get moved to another thread.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

[QUOTE=Cast-Iron;389002]KY, I realize BM6660 is one of our neighbors from the north. He asked about the availability of the SKS here in the US, and I replied by describing that particular market in my area. If you read anything else in my response, you misread it.

I am even seeing some leveling of the prices already. I have seen several AR platforms back to near the normal pre-panic price and the local market on the SKS has started to level.

They were selling for $225 a week before the panic, shot up to $500 before all of them disappeared and now they are surfacing in shops at around $350 for the Chineese T56. That is still a little high and I expect the price to stabilize around $300 unless a new cheap scource enters the import market.

I am sure Norinco could supply all we need at $200 per unit but wee can thank Mister Clinton for banning them due to their Chineese heritage. It's a pity they weren't being imported by Walmart. The import would have never stopped if it had been them and not Norinco.