Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: any lonely place on the earth?

CWI thanks for the info - I ignorantly thought it was like a "province" or county; albeit huge.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by cwi555 View Post
    Siberia is more a region than a country. There are several actual countries in the region. The region covers parts of China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, and the Russian Federation. The cold war area most are familiar with was the West Siberian Plain, Central Siberian Plateau, and Siberian Federal District. What many don't realize is that it's rich in minerals, platinum, diamonds, Uranium, etc. A sizable portion of the West Siberian Plain has a severe uranium tailing problem. Uranium tailing is where the first stage of refining has been performed leaving a radioactive sludge that retains 85 percent of the ores original radioactivity. Left to dry (which the soviet union did when it collapsed), it dries up into a sand like consistency which can and did become airborne getting into the surrounding country side and in the water ways. There are large areas of the WSP that you do not want to go to for that reason.

Between the three, the Gulags were used for dissident/slave labor camps to mine minerals etc. Industrial cities such as Norilsk sprang up during the Gulag period built by those slaves. Norilsk btw now claims 175,000 people for it's population and an extensive steel industry.

While some parts of the Siberian Region may be pretty and devoid of humans, it must be remembered 'why' they stayed devoid of humanity. Not even the Soviets and their cruel Gulags could make a go of it in those areas. I've been to Norilsk on business, and came to the conclusion it sucks, life is hard enough in that area without getting into the back country of Siberia, especially when you recall the soviets used it for various testing of weapons due to it's desolate location.

My two cents worth.
    Thanks, I was just going from memory from the classified ads I saw a while ago....Kinda like the "Free land in Alaska" ads you used to see in the back of magizines.
    Hey the guy says he wants to go away from people, taxes, and reant.....I didn't say it would be easy....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You noticed that?

Perhaps they are too busy making wise decisions and their lives take a different track. We will call it the "Non-Loser Express". Often it involves the military, college, specialized training and things that are interesting to do and which they do well.

Eventually they wind up sitting and talking to their spouse, going to the kids soccer game, watching them run track, working on that next project that will net them a good living over the next decade and being "normal".

If they get normal enough they will buy a nice 5 acre place on the lake, build that nice log cabin, retire at 60, play with the grandkids on holidays and teach them to fish off the boat dock.

Really normal ones will have a well stocked pantry, a storm room for safety, a generator for bad weather emergencies and a few solar pannels on the roof for money saving solar power.

In short, they are too busy enjoying their lives to want to escape from the delights they are being forced to endure.

But everyone already knows that.

Yeah, and maybe even have time to try to impart information to those that care to listen....that's the hard part....Oh well.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Thanks, I was just going from memory from the classified ads I saw a while ago....Kinda like the "Free land in Alaska" ads you used to see in the back of magizines.
    Hey the guy says he wants to go away from people, taxes, and reant.....I didn't say it would be easy....LOL
    I would classify trying what was proposed in the OP as a death wish in that area. I Remember the adds for 'free land' in Alaska. My first time in Alaska was working Prudhoe Bay. I went to visit a couple of those 'free land' locations on my first rotation. As the old saying goes, "ain't nothing for 'free'".

I have been tempted to start a thread ...."Hi, I'm new to space travel, but me and a couple of friends want to go to Mars....What do I need?.....PS the X-wing is in the shop".

I have been tempted to start a thread ...."Hi, I'm new to space travel, but me and a couple of friends want to go to Mars....What do I need?.....PS the X-wing is in the shop".
    I dunno, somebody might take you serious.

man just think about it... that would be a pretty awesome trip. of course theres nothing to hunt on mars so no food, and the ice caps are co2 instead of water so nothing to drink, and its farther away from the sun than earth so its going to be pretty cold, no wood to start a fire to combat the cold, oh and theres no oxygen so that might be another set back, but other than that it might be fun
    "Tada gan iarracht" (nothing without effort)

And Shepherds we shall be
    For thee, my Lord, for thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In Nomeni Patri Et Fili
    Spiritus Sancti.
    -Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by huskymill View Post
    man just think about it... that would be a pretty awesome trip. of course theres nothing to hunt on mars so no food, and the ice caps are co2 instead of water so nothing to drink, and its farther away from the sun than earth so its going to be pretty cold, no wood to start a fire to combat the cold, oh and theres no oxygen so that might be another set back, but other than that it might be fun
    I guess he'll have to bring TWO altoid tin survival kits then.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When ever I see one of the "want to go into the wilderness threads I think of a Mars thread I got into a few years back.....about the same thing.

Actually the first forum I was ever on was a Mother Earth News forum....Homesteading stuff.....kinda went down for 6 months, came back up...and just died out.....But.

Guy posted a thread...."What can I grow for 30 people...on Mars".
    Figuring on the fact it is farther from the sun, so a low light situation etc, etc.......got pretty interesting for a while there, had a web site and his own forum.
    Went on for about 30 pages, some cool ideas, and of course some BS-ing around.....then one day he was gone.

Checking his web site/forum....no body home....still there, no activity.

So I thought that he either took off for Mars....or had collected enough money from donors...and just skipped.

HUNTER 63 -
    " So I thought that he either took off for Mars....or had collected enough money from donors...and just skipped...."
    More likely he just took the money and ran.

As the great showman P.T. Barnum once allegedly said, "A sucker is born every minute."

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

LOL, Yeah, that thought crossed my mind....was interesting though......Like what do you do on a Saturday night?

Himalayas:

2493913405.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    A quick week long hiking trip would cure most of this escapist desire.
    truer words were never spoken

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

Yeah a lot of those numpty threads should start out as:

Hi, I am a stupid kid that absolutely knows nothing about wilderness survival, and have never even camped out with my dad. But I am tired of society and am going to the wolderness to live off the land, illegally poach animals, squat on somebody elses land, and start fires where I'm not supposed to. So, now, how do I start a fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Yeah a lot of those numpty threads should start out as:

Hi, I am a stupid kid that absolutely knows nothing about wilderness survival, and have never even camped out with my dad. But I am tired of society and am going to the wolderness to live off the land, illegally poach animals, squat on somebody elses land, and start fires where I'm not supposed to. So, now, how do I start a fire!
    I do have to say it's a good thing that some one is showing an interest....and the wording seems pretty stupid somethimes, but there is some interest besides living in Mom's basement........
    Ya think, or am I just kidding my self?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    So I thought that he either took off for Mars....or had collected enough money from donors...and just skipped.

Was that you!!?? No, I made it to Mars. The only hard part is the time delay in typing to post on here.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

He made it. Wifi did not.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Lonely... get the wife ticked off... yeah you will see lonely then.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    Lonely... get the wife ticked off... yeah you will see lonely then.
    I Love it! Good point, Davidlastink

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

I can tell you from first hand experiences Siberia aint got nothing on wifebarrens