Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: any lonely place on the earth?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I hear the Aleutians are beautiful this time of year!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Heehee. Just have to figure out what you are going to burn to keep warm. You can, maybe, dig a hole in the ground to live in.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

This is the loneliest place I've personally ever been to.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Get thrown in prison and raise H*ll until you go to solitary confinement, that will be pretty lonely

We get most of these European neewbs because to the German news network.

They love to do stories about nut jobs that find islands off the coast and live in tee-pees and shacks. Most have abandoned families and espically WORK so they can "return to nature" free of rent, utility paynents and espicaly supporting their children.

Clusters of these folk appear in remote spots as soon as the weather breaks each spring. Groups of "like minded individuals" all hiding from reality. When you google the locations you find they are not so isolated and the authorities come run the tresspassers out right after the show airs.

The specials show happy contented folk sitting around campfires strumming guitars, baking bread and drinking home made hooch. they never show anyone sick, frozen to their bunks, starving or hurt with no help.

It is a European version of "My Side of the Mountain" with adults.

They show the same clip for several days running so we can expect visits from more Germans, Dutch and Sweedes, espically the ones that do not get into the woods much or realize the rescources they have available nearby designed espically for recreation and the stress relief of of the population.

A quick week long hiking trip would cure most of this escapist desire.

....Kinda like the '60's here.......

Actually I was being serious about Siberia......lot's of wide open country.

Some how I got on an Elk hunting mailing list.....hunts all over the world, including Siberia.....with classified ads in the back for buying land there....like 100 square kilometers (new kind of miles) for thus and such............I kept thinking "Russian Pondorsia".....Wild wild West, all over again....Comrade.

So y'all don't think DDD was being serious?.... just pulling our leg?.... with a unreasonable, and impossible task and goal?....Not realizing that if I were to find such a place.....I sure wouldn't want a lazy and freeloading drain on society moving in next door.....?
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

lonely is a state of mind.

[QUOTE=hunter63;389013So y'all don't think DDD was being serious?.... just pulling our leg?.... with a unreasonable, and impossible task and goal?....Not realizing that if I were to find such a place.....I sure wouldn't want a lazy and freeloading drain on society moving in next door.....?[/QUOTE]

The neighborhood couldn't stand two of us!

The OP departerd after that one post and seems to have not returned.

I still suspect the mods invent these trolls just to get a rise out of us!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-27-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Sssssh. We're upping the post count but that's on the QT. So ixnay on the mod comments.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Been a slow week so far........

you could try antarctica, no taxes, nobody else around 99.99999% of the place, one season (cold), nothing to eat, plenty of water. I think it may be what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    you could try antarctica, no taxes, nobody else around 99.99999% of the place, one season (cold), nothing to eat, plenty of water. I think it may be what you are looking for.
    In the winter there is about 250,000 Eperor penguins there, but I dont know how edible they are!

they taste a lot like an otter.

I spent one night there and it was a 140,264 penguin night. Man was it cold.

It was really irritating too. No one let me know it was formal night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I spent one night there and it was a 140,264 penguin night. Man was it cold.

It was really irritating too. No one let me know it was formal night.
    Here is a picture of Ricks trip

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are......LOL

Siberia is more a region than a country. There are several actual countries in the region. The region covers parts of China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, and the Russian Federation. The cold war area most are familiar with was the West Siberian Plain, Central Siberian Plateau, and Siberian Federal District. What many don't realize is that it's rich in minerals, platinum, diamonds, Uranium, etc. A sizable portion of the West Siberian Plain has a severe uranium tailing problem. Uranium tailing is where the first stage of refining has been performed leaving a radioactive sludge that retains 85 percent of the ores original radioactivity. Left to dry (which the soviet union did when it collapsed), it dries up into a sand like consistency which can and did become airborne getting into the surrounding country side and in the water ways. There are large areas of the WSP that you do not want to go to for that reason.

Between the three, the Gulags were used for dissident/slave labor camps to mine minerals etc. Industrial cities such as Norilsk sprang up during the Gulag period built by those slaves. Norilsk btw now claims 175,000 people for it's population and an extensive steel industry.

While some parts of the Siberian Region may be pretty and devoid of humans, it must be remembered 'why' they stayed devoid of humanity. Not even the Soviets and their cruel Gulags could make a go of it in those areas. I've been to Norilsk on business, and came to the conclusion it sucks, life is hard enough in that area without getting into the back country of Siberia, especially when you recall the soviets used it for various testing of weapons due to it's desolate location.

My two cents worth.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Thanks CW. That was interesting.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

How come no high school quarterback, or a valedictorian posts a thread like this?

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    How come no high school quarterback, or a valedictorian posts a thread like this?
    You noticed that?

Perhaps they are too busy making wise decisions and their lives take a different track. We will call it the "Non-Loser Express". Often it involves the military, college, specialized training and things that are interesting to do and which they do well.

Eventually they wind up sitting and talking to their spouse, going to the kids soccer game, watching them run track, working on that next project that will net them a good living over the next decade and being "normal".

If they get normal enough they will buy a nice 5 acre place on the lake, build that nice log cabin, retire at 60, play with the grandkids on holidays and teach them to fish off the boat dock.

Really normal ones will have a well stocked pantry, a storm room for safety, a generator for bad weather emergencies and a few solar pannels on the roof for money saving solar power.

In short, they are too busy enjoying their lives to want to escape from the delights they are being forced to endure.

But everyone already knows that.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-29-2013 at 09:09 AM.