Thread: Anybody have good receipees for thistle.

Default Anybody have good receipees for thistle.

I have a bunch of thistle all despiked and ready to be cooked. I tried all parts raw and It was okay. Tasted like lawn. Really though, it wasn't bad. An awesome survival food if you can avoid getting stuck. I am about to experiment with some cooked recipes. Anyone have some advice.

I've had thistle cooked in pasta dishes and it is quite mild . I would think a good use for it would be to mix with more pungent edibles like Toothwort ( horseradish flavor) Dandelions , wild Mustard and Pennycress .
    Ive been wanting to find a light weight wok to carry into the field . I would sear a little bacon in the wok and cut into tiny chunks . Add a little oil if you want to cut down on Bacon and cook /wilt the greens together . Slice a hard boiled egg and add if you like .Use a nice Balsamic vinergette on the finished dish .

I should confess I've never tried this exact dish , but I have had a ton of Swiss Chard this way and I always thought it was delicious .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 03-20-2013 at 08:18 PM.

What kind of thistle?

Cirsium or Sonchus?

All of my experience has been with Cirsium and usually purple thistle (Cirsium horridulum). I have only tried the stem. Woody to cellulose at best. No real flavor.

My favorite part is the root. Prepare similar to Burdock. Around here we mostly have Bull Thistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    What kind of thistle?

Cirsium or Sonchus?

All of my experience has been with Cirsium and usually purple thistle (Cirsium horridulum). I have only tried the stem. Woody to cellulose at best. No real flavor.
    Cirsium Vulgare ( Bull Thistle ) is excellent in my opinion . Very similar to cooked celery ( lots of people don't like cooked celery ) Tender and not fibrous in the least . Im sure that varies from plant to plant .

Bull thistle

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    I've had thistle cooked in pasta dishes and it is quite mild . I would think a good use for it would be to mix with more pungent edibles like Toothwort ( horseradish flavor) Dandelions , wild Mustard and Pennycress .
    Ive been wanting to find a light weight wok to carry into the field . I would sear a little bacon in the wok and cut into tiny chunks . Add a little oil if you want to cut down on Bacon and cook /wilt the greens together . Slice a hard boiled egg and add if you like .Use a nice Balsamic vinergette on the finished dish .

I should confess I've never tried this exact dish , but I have had a ton of Swiss Chard this way and I always thought it was delicious .
    Thanks for the suggestions......

I ended up baking the stalk chopped up in tinfoil with some specked trout I caught with butter, garlic, and chipotle spice. Need to try some other recipes and ways to cook

That certainly sounda a lot more gormet then the last time I had thistle . I sauteed the thistle in a little oil added it to some Ramen noodles and use it as a side dish for my corn meal breaded yellow belly Bullheads .

Actually I have a pic of that somewhere around photo bucket .

Does that rule about no posting pictures expire after post number 10 ?

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Does that rule about no posting pictures expire after post number 10 ?
    Yes.......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just caught some largemouth bass. Lets see what I can do with that and thistle and some stuff laying around at the house.

If yuo have bull thistle you really should try the tap root. It's a lot easier to deal with.

Here's some thistle I processed on an overnighter up in Michigan last summer

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

very nice!!!!