Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion?

Default What's your opinion?

Pocket chain saw vs. a folding/sliding saw.

I haven't seen any discussion about these saws and there differences. Which one would be better than the other? Do any of you have experience with both?

I haven't tried a "pocket saw." I have a Sven folding saw, and I am very happy with it. It fits in my pack easily and doesn't weigh much, yet is suitable for significant work.
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

Is the pocket chain saw like the sawvivor? If so, I haven't used one. I have used the wire saws and while they can worn, the gerber sliding saw is a whole lot more convenient. I also have a Bob Destrude folding bow saw and love it!
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I have broken pocket chain saws and folding saw. If I had to rely on one it would be a folding saw hands down.

For the areas I hike and my needs - my preference is a folding (pruning type) saw.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This is interesting and great information. It's different than YouTube on the same subject. On the YouTube vids it showed a much faster and efficient sawing with the pocket chain saw.

From what I remember.
    Wire saw ~ $7-8
    Folding saw ~ $12-20
    Bob Dustrude ~ $50

The wire saw works, but needs to be worked with carefully or it will break. Make it into a bow saw with a small green limb.
    The folding saw is just so more convenient and easier to use than a wire saw, the only reason I could see using a wire saw is that you have one in something like an altoids psk.
    The Bob Dustrude saw is like like a full sized bow saw with a 24" blade. It folds down on its' self to a compact size of about 24" x 2" x 1". Only reason I would use the folding saw over this one is if I wanted to go very light or was in a woods so dense a machete would do better than a saw.

Hope this helps.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I've used a pocket chainsaw quite a bit and there's definitely some pluses and minuses. On the plus side, for material under 3" there is simply nothing faster. Anything over about 5-6" and they lose a lot of their efficiency because of too much surface area of the chain in contact with the tree (too much resistance) and too short of strokes. The big negative for me is safety. You absolutely must wear gloves or risk making a survival situation into a serious medical emergency. It's so easy to pull one side across the thumb of your other hand and it will shred you to the bone, taking tendons and arteries on the way. With leather gloves, no problem, without it, I'd rather baton my knife rather than risk the possibility of injury.

Don't confuse a pocket chainsaw with a wire saw. Most wire saws don't last because they heat up so much during use that the metal becomes brittle after only a few cuts and the wire snaps. I've broken several different kind, none lasted more than 15 minute of hard use for me.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Quote Originally Posted by endurance View Post
    I've used a pocket chainsaw quite a bit and there's definitely some pluses and minuses. On the plus side, for material under 3" there is simply nothing faster. Anything over about 5-6" and they lose a lot of their efficiency because of too much surface area of the chain in contact with the tree (too much resistance) and too short of strokes. The big negative for me is safety. You absolutely must wear gloves or risk making a survival situation into a serious medical emergency. It's so easy to pull one side across the thumb of your other hand and it will shred you to the bone, taking tendons and arteries on the way. With leather gloves, no problem, without it, I'd rather baton my knife rather than risk the possibility of injury.

Don't confuse a pocket chainsaw with a wire saw. Most wire saws don't last because they heat up so much during use that the metal becomes brittle after only a few cuts and the wire snaps. I've broken several different kind, none lasted more than 15 minute of hard use for me.
    There's experience in your words. What would you recommend for a good pack saw?

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

My favorite "pack saw" is the Gerber folding saw. It comes in a nice Condura sheath and two blades, one fine and one coarse. I've used it extensively and it always performs well. I'd never use a wire saw as I've heard too many bad reports on them. Never used a "pocket chainsaw and don't plan on it, that sounds too much like work! ......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    My favorite "pack saw" is the Gerber folding saw. It comes in a nice Condura sheath and two blades, one fine and one coarse. I've used it extensively and it always performs well. I'd never use a wire saw as I've heard too many bad reports on them. Never used a "pocket chainsaw and don't plan on it, that sounds too much like work! ......
    I've got both, the gerber sliding saw and a pocket chain saw. They both look like they'd do the job of making fire wood. I haven't used either one. I haven't had the need to use one. I did loan a cheap folding saw for deer processing and it did fine. I don't want to carry both so, it'd be nice to know which was best. Initially, I was leaning towards the gerber sliding saw and felt that it was the best. However, after the vids I was confused. That's why I've come to the experts. To bring closure on the best pack saw in survival situations.

It's kind of funny. I've spent 40 years not carrying either. Just a knife and matches. Now, I have everything available however, 50% of the time I carry a knife and fire steel. I can see where a good saw would be beneficial.

I'd go with a folding saw, as I like the ergonomics of pruning-type saws better than the alternative, but my stronger preference is not to have a saw at all, and instead have a hatchet. I know there are situations where a saw would serve better, but for everyday camping and potential survival needs, is there much disadvantage to a hatchet vs a saw, other than weight?
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I have a Gerber pocket sliding saw and a Bahco Laplander folding saw. I prefer the Bahco folder because it just cuts better.
    I have several wire saws that I have never used. They came in some Cheaper than Dirt camp kit that I bought for the bag the stuff came in.
    I have a pocket chain saw that, as mentioned, loses it's cutting power if you try cutting too big a limb/tree.
    I made my own take down saw with some 1.5" dowel, a 21" bow saw blade and a piece of all-thread. It compacts to a 24x3x2 bundle.
    Last edited by pete lynch; 03-20-2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: spellin'
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Folding pruning saws are the go...such as the one made by Fiskars.

they weigh little and take up very little room.

The 'issue' I have with 'pocket chainsaws is that without a vice of some sort they are very difficult, if not impossible to sharpen in the field, whereas the std pruning saw can be sharpened by wedging into a stump or somesuch and using a small triangular file. A blunt tool is worse tha useless......it can be downright dangerous.
    "use enough gun......"

I was thinking, if you had an injury that made one arm useless, the folding / sliding saw could still be used.

Have carried a "Wyoming" saw for years, comes with both a wood saw and bone saw.
    Don't like the wire saws at all, and have not tried a pocket chain saw.....

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...FUVN4AodD1cA-A
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Depends on how you intend to use them. For an emergency requiring one or possibly two small cuts a wire saw might be all you need. I consider them to be a one-use disposable tool. I've used folding saws for years and have found them to be quite durable. They are still lightweight even though somewhat bulkier than the wiresaw. The folders work wonders on small limbs, underbrush, and our hated Ashe Juniper (aka Texas Cedar) up to a few inches in basal diameter. I also use cordless reciprocating saws with pruning blades to keep from dulling my saw chain on rocks and dirt when clearing brush. For anything of much heft if you're talking handtool, you'd be best served with an handsaw, axe and/or hatchet.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I prefer a folding hand saw over the pocket chainsaw, the "Sawvivor Saw" is a real work horse and weighs next to nothing due to its aircraft aluminum frame. I find a small six inch folding handsaw is a nice tool for camp projects.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Folding saw no contest!