Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival/Camping Location?

Smile Survival/Camping Location?

Hello, my friend and I would like to test out extent of survival knowledge in the wilderness. I know I sound like an idiot but hear me out. We will be bringing all the food we would need for the trip and just try to avoid eating it. Anyway back to the point, where exactly can we do this? Parks and such are obvious no-no's. I live in Northern California and I was wondering if there is someplace private and somewhat "untouched". Safety is the biggest priority and next would be fun. Positive replies only please
    Last edited by BushLast; 03-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm....

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BushLast View Post
    Positive replies only please
    Good luck ...

... with that?

An untouched place ... Alaska, somewhere you need to be dropped off by a bush pilot, then hike in for at least a week. Then you're about ready to start considering how much farther before it's untouched enough.

So yeah. gooooooood luck with your venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastree View Post
    Good luck ...

... with that?

An untouched place ... Alaska, somewhere you need to be dropped off by a bush pilot, then hike in for at least a week. Then you're about ready to start considering how much farther before it's untouched enough.

So yeah. gooooooood luck with your venture.
    ok, I'll start saving

If safety is your "biggest priority" then you don't want an "untouched" area. You want to be near people who can help you if you get in trouble. Anyway, you don't need a wilderness to test your survival skills. Your backyard is a start, and a public camping area is a good step up from that. Gain some experience first. That's what will keep you safe.
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

theres a couple nice K.O.A. campgrounds between redding and eureka fake it the other option is to see whats available on blm land its already the end of march spring and summer reservations are prob already starting come in for state forest permits
    Last edited by old2531; 03-19-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Never been to northern California so I can't say........
    What are your safety concerns?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

get a forest service map, then go over it and look for areas that are designated as Wilderness Areas, these are closed to motorvehicle travel are for the propagation of wildlife. There are springs in these areas, and as 99% of hunters and campers want to ride their quads in and out, by walking in, you will have it to yourselves. We have these areas in AZ and they are great. 90% of my camping is now in these areas so I avoid the human race, the nose, trash, and dust from quads racing up and down the roads ruining a quiet peaceful area. I know there are places in CA where you can do this as I've read about them.

BushLast, you did not mention in what part of "north California" you live. But you should look at a California highway map and note that between Santa Rosa just north of San Francisco, all the way to the Oregon border are three huge National Forests. The Mendocino Nat'l. Forest, the Trinity Nat'l. Forest, and the Klamath Nat'l. Forest. Absolutely beautiful, various topography, and there are multiple areas where you can get into some very remote camping if you want to do a little walking.

Next, go to a sporting goods store, or perhaps Barnes & Noble and buy a copy of the California Atlas & Gazetteer,which shows the entire State's topography and maps. Look up those national forests I mentioned. Then, look up the regional U.S. Forest Service offices for those forests and obtain a Forest Service map of those particular Nat'l. Forests.

If you can't find some place in those forests to go out and learn a thing or two about getting along in the boonies, you'll never find a place.

Have fun: be careful.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 03-19-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Make sure that you tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. If something did go wrong, you will be found.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

BushLast, do you and your friend have First Aid training?? I don't mean how to put on a Band Aid.

If not, before you go bustin' around out in the boonies, you should contact the American Red Cross in the nearest large city and find out when they give their Standard First Aid training courses. Make it a point for both of you to attend!!

It is amazing how many people go traipsing out into the forests and mountains who know nothing about First Aid. Then, something happens, an injury or wound or sickness, and they haven't the faintest clue how to take care of their problem. Learn standard First Aid before trying your "experiment."!!!

You won't regret it.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 03-19-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Get your state's Gazetter. This is an atlas with all the parks and trails ect. mapped. It's a great way to learn about places to go and what's allowed in those locations.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

If you want someplace private, then find the large private lands and contact the owners and ask permission. Anything else is public. You will want to obtain a hunting license and all proper registrations and regulations before hunting and trapping. Unless you want to learn how to survive in prison.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Bushlast, you wrote in your profile that you're only 15 years old, so I'll not give you any advice until you've reached 18.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by BushLast View Post
    Positive replies only please
    I love it when some brainless twit decides to ROTTW with no idea what he/she is doing and then orders those with any pretention of common sense to keep their mature adult negitive advice to themselves.

Does your Mom know you are on the computer soliciting information you will use while running away from home?

If you do what you are contemplating without permission from your parents you are breaking the law after the first 24 hours.

If you do it with their permission THEY are breaking the law after the first 24 hours.

If we help you WE are breaking the law!

Good God above it's spring again!!!

Good luck with that.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

worm food!

I was in the same exact situation you are in. I live in Georgia where it is a little less populated but I'll share my solution. It is not the safest but I'm still alive, for now. I got on google earth and found some open land. It just happened to be 400 acre island 2 miles from the boat ramp down the road from my house. I wanted to contact the owners but I found out is owned by a large corporation that cannot do anything with it because their plans to develop were shut down in 2006 so now they cant even sell it. Every other week I go out there by kayak and camp and fish for the weekend. It is not my Island technically but it is mine. No one else goes out there. You may be able to find a sanctuary neer you, but you may have to get some owner permission. There is wide open land everywhere.

Now for the safety. I shouldn't be going there alone. I am reckless by going out alone but that's just me and I am happy out there. It's my church. I always let someone know when and where I am going though. I recommend bringing a sufficient first aid kit and increase your first aid knowledge until you feel comfortable handling any reasonable situation you can think of. My biggest fear is the rattlers here. In a 3 week span I fell off my kayak about ten feet away from a 10 foot alligator and he ate my hat. I was complacent cause I got used to them being around and almost got eating. Next I was on the island and stepped 3 inches from a coiled rattler but for some reason, he warned me with his rattler and didn't strike and in a split second I was 25 yards away running. Again, I was complacent. The next week I went up to the Jack's River trail in the Appalachian trails and crossed a river early in the morning cause it rained on me and I just wanted to get out of there. I came up on shore and was staring a black bear in eyes. He was bigger then me and just stared at me with his head tilted. I told myself not to run, make some noise...I seen him move and I just RANNN. I crossed that river in about 3 seconds...Luckily, he was headed up the hill...Again. I wasn't paying attention.

You'll be fine out there just let someone know where your going and when your supposed to be back and don't let your guard down or you'll have some embarrassing stories like me.

I worked in the Kalamath National Forest long time ago. Pretty rugged and a lot of room to survive in. I have made several trips into National Forests to "get away" for awhile when I was younger. Check them out. Good luck.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Take a good signalling device!

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Make sure you have those Parental permission slips filled out, otherwise you might come off as a "run-away" and find yourself in "juvie-court!".....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin