Thread: Brownies made inside oranges.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Default Brownies made inside oranges.

Yum and fun.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Campfire Brownies In An Orange
    By Camping with Gus

At least 1 orange per camper (a few extras would be good for “seconds” Brownie or cake mix – *see notes below 1 sharp knife (to cut the oranges Sturdy soup spoons Heavy-duty foil wrap
    Notes: For brownie mix you will get approx. 8 – 10 desserts. Cake mix will yield approx. 12 – 16 desserts.
    1. Cut the top off the orange – about 1/3 way down. (adults should to this)
    2. Let the kids use sturdy soup spoons to scoop out the inside of the orange – careful not to rip or puncture the orange peel
    ** This will be messy, but it is a fun part of the activity for the kids – so be ready with paper towels and wet wipes.
    3. While the kids are scooping out the oranges – mix the brownie mix, per pkg. directions*
    4. Let the kids fill their own oranges – approx. 2/3 full
    5. Place orange cap back on top and, while keeping orange upright, wrap orange in heavy-duty foil (as shown). *a couple layers works best. And the “curly-cue” top serves as an easy way to pull oranges from hot coals
    6. Place finished wraps in a bed of coals, (not on flaming campfire), and cover until it is a mound of hot coals with just the “curly-cue” sticking out.
    7. Approx. cooking time is 20 – 25 minutes, but this is variable depending on size of oranges and quality of hot coals – so check after 20 minutes to see if done.
    8. Remove from coals and let sit a few minutes for the foil to cool to touch – then let the kids unwrap their own orange-baked brownies – and dig in!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

How wonderful!!!
    Hope Intothenew is reading.

We'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Yep, that'll be good for a few giggles. Thanks!
    Last edited by intothenew; 03-19-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Looks better than an egg in an orange.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What is the recipe for the brownie mix?

It would be found on the side/back of the package. The UK has a good selection of brownie mixes to chose from.

Well, there's brownies, and there's those herbal brownies.... If you make herbal brownies, make sure you have a pan or two of the non-herbal brownies handy....

Alan

I'll bet those school kids of yours learned a lot more than readin' and writin'. Johnny had a nickel bag his, sister had a dime bag. How many nickel bags could they make? Sipherin'.

You are right. They couldn't pass an Algebra test but they knew the economics of that stuff. Just change the terminology of apples and oranges to Crack and Cocaine and they'd have made A's.

We had a pretty good bunch of kids though. Not many were into that sort of thing. I had more trouble with them drinking than anything else... not at school but afterwards and the detrimental effects of drunk driving. I don't know about now... things have changed.

I think the major problem now is Social Media.

Alan

I've done this with white cake mix. Works pretty well.

I've also done the "baking in a box" trick but I wouldn't call it a survival technique. It requires too much aluminum foil.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.