Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are all squirrels created equal?

Default Are all squirrels created equal?

My question: is there a difference in the way different kinds of squirrels taste?I myself have never eaten any kind.I've seen pictures of gray ones(I think that's what they were)that looked to be a fair size,& have read about lots of people eating them.Around here though all we have are red squirrels,that to me are fairly scrawny looking.(though I have seen the odd porker)There's definitely no shortage of them.They are considered here to be a fur bearing animal that comes under the trapping laws.Years ago a government conservation officer told me he tried eating one as part of a survival course he went on.He said it was sinewy & tough.This is the only person I've ever asked about eating them,so don't know if his experience is the norm.The native people of the area I stomp around in never eat them.Am I missing out on something good?I'd much rather hear from any of you who know before I dig out my frying pan.

Here are a few recipes to get you started. I have eaten them throughout my entire life. We actually hunt them with guns here. Makes for an enjoyable day in the woods and a wonderful dinner at camp or at home.
    Check out this site.
    http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

P.S. Then you can get really adventurous and check the recipes for other critters on the left side.
    Last edited by catfish10101; 03-18-2008 at 11:21 PM.

i've never notived any between various tree and ground squirrel species.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Had my first squirrel over 60+ yrs ago and they are pretty good. If you REALLY want a different taste try one of those that's been cutting on green hickory nuts and I guarantee you'll never forget it.

Smile

Squirrels, to me, is just another game animal. I've often heard people say (about any hunted animal for food) Yuck, but it tastes so 'gamie.' These are typically Sheeple who have no clue what their talking about in the first place. I mean, geez! It's just a big rat with a fuzzy tail, lives in the canopy and plays on the floor. NO! doesn't taste like chicken but is good none the less.
    gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at. 3. The first key step of a corrupt political agenda where good citizens are disarmed so that a dictatorship may replace a democracy in the future.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I aswell have always wanted to try it. i've eaten rabbit, is there any similarity to rabbit? also is it the same as eating a 13 stripe gofur? Prarie dogs? Living in saskatchewan canada, we have plenty of gofurs and prarie dogs.

I had red squirrel last September on a primitive trip but we didn't cook it all the way (needed about 10 more minutes). Tasted gamey and I'm told it would even if it was cooked thru. Grey squirrel has more meat and is supposed to taste like rabbit.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Cool. Have you ever tried Rabbit? A rather easy game to trap, it would make a great survival food. squrrel is easier to predict what they are going to do. they leave telltale signs of their activiteis

my lady doesn't let me keep, hunt or eat rabbits.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I've hunted and eaten rabbit and squirrel since I was kid. Put a fair amount on the dinner table. I LOVE both fried. Some fried potatoes on the side, a little flour gravy, some biscuits and a little sorghum molasses. MMMMmmmmmmm. Good stuff.

I've read that grays are disappearing. Being bred out by fox squirrels. That seems to be the case around here. Grays have disappeared and the foxes all seem to have a lighter coat with some gray. Well fed, too. Nice fat plumpers.

I think they taste like what they are. I've never thought they were particularly gamey either. Nothing like deer, that's for sure.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Squirrels are like deer to me, the older the tougher, shoot a fawn the meats real soft and juicy, hahaaaa, jk. All squirrel taste the same to me.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Hey podna,

Cooked onto a stew or bisque what does it really matter? In a brown or red gravy and over rice just about anything tastes good.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    my lady doesn't let me keep, hunt or eat rabbits.
    What kind of communist is she? If God put it on the earth, then it's our duty to find a way to cook it up and eat it.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

she had a close pet rabbit for 15 years, through most of her childhood and can't separate the thoughts of her lop-ear from wild or bred for food livestock. i can live with it i'll just eat them when i'm by my self away from home.

Canid,

So did I, about three dozen. When they were fat enough they got skinned and cooked. The pelts made a nice blanket for my baby sister. She was always freezing.

that would be the distinction between livestock and pets homie. this is not to say you can't be close with livestock, but when your primary intention is the butcher block, it's a different situation.

we have gray and fox squirrels in this area. fox seem to be slightly larger and have alittle bit more fat on them. after cleaning soak in water and change it out three or so times til no blood left in water. then put pieces in a bowl cover with buttermilk and place them in the fridge over nite. wrap pieces in BACON and throw um on the grill. i cook dove pretty much the same way. add a moonpie for desert. tasty.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Moonpies. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmm. It's been several centuries since my last Moonpie. I do believe it was right after that whole Miles Standish/Pocahontas fling. The paparazzi were relentless with those two.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

So how old does that make you rick? I dunno maybe 700. I mean you don't seem like you're 20 but u sure don't seem 700!

Well, that's because I'm not. But I stopped counting after 499. The birthday cakes started looking a bit like a forest fire and kept setting the fire alarms off in the home, which made the staff pretty surly. Now they just wheel me into the courtyard and tell me to practice my survival skills. What an accommodating bunch. Hang on....

Hey!! Nurse. Someone want to bring me a blanket? It's getting cold out here!

I'm back.