Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag alternate

Default Sleeping bag alternate

Does anyone know of either a really little sleeping bag or an emergency blanket that could keep someone warm in an Iowa summer? The July average is 80ish. (If it would work in the spring and fall that would be great too. Think April to October.)

Seriously love these smilies.
    I chose my user name before I realized that to be considered a 'prepper' I needed to have more than three days of food/water on hand. Sorry for any confusion.

I still am diggin the smilies, though. This is my favorite.

I use a pretty big piece of parachute for camping down south in the summer. It's cool to the touch and packs really small. I guess mine is 12'x20'. Keeps me warm down to 60 or so. It's all in how you fold it, as a blanket it's great when it's 80+ at night, 2 layers for 75, 3 for 70, etc.

It also will filter big chunks out of water, can be shelter if the pitch exceeds 45 degrees, and I've used it as a wind block for a largish campsite. I can think of a few more uses, but, there ya go.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

At those temps, just about anything will do. Look at poncho liners, or woobies.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Many people use the cheapest bottle of wine in the liquor store.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I grew up in Iowa, I didn't use a thing in summer.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

For me anything above 70 degrees is just a sheet 80 + degrees Doubt ill be covered with anything. ( clothing optional depending on camping partner >>> refer to wildthings post about female shooter)
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Nater meant to say he used a hong in summer. Don't ask.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's a rig that may work for you. For myself a thin wool blanket would suffice.

http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-Survi.../dp/B006BBW15O

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nater meant to say he used a hong in summer. Don't ask.
    Yep, and here it is!

Camping Hong.png
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

What about a vlies blanket and a garden umbrella cover?

Costs for both under 5 bucks and lightweight.

Camo Snuggy.......don't laugh, I take mine hunting all the time.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have backpacked for entire summers using nothing but a GI poncho liner with the poncho added for cool nights.

I would think that for summer temps a fleece blanket of any kind would suffice.

I sleep cold too! I want a light sleeping bag anywere below 60 and I go to the zero bag as soon as the night time temps drop below 40.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

YMMV, but 80 deg nights is not that cold... HOWEVER, it may FEEL cold if the daytime was quite hot, so even at that.. some type of baggie is going to be desired.

My first suggestion, is a fleece sleeping bag, sometimes called a bag liner...
    http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...4063/cat100842

I have one of these, from Texsport, in green of course, and am VERY happy with it.

The next step, is a USGI patrol bag from the MSS, its approximate thickness is roughly twice that of a woobie, or poncho liner...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=usgi%2...d=462088560534

Neither weigh much, and honestly... if it were me, Id carry both.... I could then use one, or the other... or both combined.

I hope I was able to help,
    EB

Just occurred to me;

It might be time for a trip to the thrift store.

Go straight to the home furnishing dept and look for a cheap quilted bed comforter. Take it home, fold it longways and sew it around two sides. Make your own quilted "woogie bag".

I priced a couple of those comforters a week or so ago at the Goodwill and they were $10 each.

I just use a el-cheapo Walmart $15 buck sleeping bag for hot weather.....like to cover up and just "hang out" stuff if it's too warm....backed up with cheapo wool army blanket.....some how I always wrapped up in it by morning....

Don't wash the bag, all the stuffing sinks to the bottom, just use it to cover the back seats.....for the dogs, then a ground cloth for working under the truck....then trash...repeat.

Been looking at the bivey covers....Hummm
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-25-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have been using the Coleman fleece sleeping bag , it's about $15.00 works good.

Kyratshooter, you're brilliant. Now just to learn how to sew....
    I chose my user name before I realized that to be considered a 'prepper' I needed to have more than three days of food/water on hand. Sorry for any confusion.

I still am diggin the smilies, though. This is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_prepper View Post
    Kyratshooter, you're brilliant. Now just to learn how to sew....

If you need to know about cheap you came to the right place!

Most of my cookware is recycled tin cans and I refuse to by fancy canteens when there are perfectly good water bottles lying around.

I can put a weekend ar camp together from scratch for less than $50 and live like a king!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-28-2013 at 11:21 PM.

On a Colorado hunt, staying in a GP medium at 10500 ft or there abouts on Grand Mesa....got cold enough at night to keep food frozen in open coolers.

Bedding consisted of army cot, (hate the nylon, old canvas much warmer)..hard foam pad,(GI Style) wool point blanket wrapped around a down bag, foot wrapped up and pinned with blanket pins.....worked well.

Blanket pins allows a lot of re-configuring how blankets can be fastened with out sewing....got a couple of brass 5" pins look like giant safety pins....but look like the pins that fasten hunting back tag holder on.....very handy.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/66827434...FQSg4Aod2zsA5g

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

You can make just about any blanket in to a bag or coat.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What ever you take, make sure it will dry fast. If you're under a tarp and your Blankey gets wet, thats a lot of weight to haul out. A snythetic blend is great, feels good to the skin and drys fast, ultralight. Some people use the silk bag liners you can get at Campmore. They pack down small, means you don't need a huge pack to carry light summer gear. Weight is always a consideration. The lighter your gear, the more beer you can carry.

Use this same liner in the spring and fall to boost your bag reading by 10 degrees.

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.