Thread: Flashlight

Default Flashlight

I picked up a flashlight at Home Depot today. It is the Defiant (brand name) 3 C cell light. The price was $22.93. The packaging claims that it is 497 lumens and will last for 5 hours. I just took it outside to test it. It is fantastic! It will replace my Streamlight Ultra Stingers for my work lights. I'll do a complete review at some point, but will be picking up a few more tomorrow.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I need some simple flashlights. I have all these high dollar multi mode pieces of crap that have computers in them. I need simple.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Winter - here's a picture I grabbed off the net. It is about 14 inches long. I'll shoot some pics later today.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sexy....
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

5 hours does not seem to be too long for an LED flashlight, ( it is an LED isn't it? ). What size batteries does it use? I was looking at flashlights at Dicks Sporting goods a few days ago, and they had some LED lights that would burn up to 20 hours or so. But I guess for the price it isn't a bad deal!

That's huge.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    5 hours does not seem to be too long for an LED flashlight, ( it is an LED isn't it? ). What size batteries does it use? I was looking at flashlights at Dicks Sporting goods a few days ago, and they had some LED lights that would burn up to 20 hours or so. But I guess for the price it isn't a bad deal!
    5 hours isn't long, but 500 lumens is an insane amount of light. What used to be an incredibly bright halogen flashlight was 10 watts which produced 160 lumens. A modern car headlight is 55 watts, or roughly 800-900 lumens. To have more than half that much light coming out of a handheld flashlight would have been unthinkable a decade ago. Surely not with something that used three 'C' cells. So five hours seems perfectly reasonable given the output.

The tragedy is that most of the time you don't need that much light. Most of the time 20-30 lumens is plenty to walk safely on a dirt road or trail. That's why so many new lights have different brightness programs. It lets you extend the battery life by up 10x or more. Of course, the interface is always the issue and having to cycle through 5 brightness levels and strobes to get to the one you want is just silly. Sometimes simplicity has its rewards.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

One I really like is the Smith & Wesson Galaxy 9 Bulb L.E.D. Flashlight. It's super bright, small and has a tactical button in the end. Simple on and off. You don't have to step through 10 different modes just to turn it on and off. About $20, 4" long, waterproof and runs for 60 continuous hours.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

yeabut, Rick, that little fella is easy to misplace.

Uh, don't leave it in the chair. You can look for it for hours. Just sayin'......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

However at 60 hours of runtime, just leave it on, LOL. I have a little gerber similar to that one. It's very handy for keeping in a pocket.

Here's a quick vid I did of the light.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wow, a very nice review video, Crash. That sucker puts out a lot of light for $23! How does the claimed battery life stack up to the actual run time, in your estimation? I might have to see if my local HD has them.

Haven't used them long enough to validate the claims of run time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

WOW thanks for the review Crash. Been thinking of a good LED to replace my 6 volt spot lights I use around the house at night. I will be getting one.

My most used flashlight is the Streamlight Microstream LED unbelievable pocket flash light.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Illuminating video. You shed some light on that flashlight. (I slay myself)... That's bigger than I thought it was in the earlier posts. Nice flashlight. I'll have to check my HD to see if I can "spot" one.

Thanks Crash, Ive been wanting a 500 lm light for perimeter security... That should fill the bill!

And of course, Echo would get a chubby with a flashlight post... :-)

Gotta go to my local store and check for inventory...

EB

you guys should look into PETZL CORE HEADLAMPS, you can charge it 900 times before you need a new battery, i like to use it with my scharger-5 solar charger.. so i dont have to mess with rechargeable or AA/AAA batteries.