Thread: Venison caserole

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Default Venison caserole

What I am making today is a venison casserole, the recipe for which I got off of the Michigan Sportsmans Forum. This is very good and simple to make.

Venison casserole:

2# ground venison or ground beef
    8-10 strips of bacon
    mediun onion, finely chopped
    one package Taco Seasoning
    2 cans Mexicorn
    small can sliced black olives
    2 cans tomato soup
    1 Tablespoon garlic bits (or to taste)
    2 Jiffy Corn bread mixes
    1 1/2 to 2 cup milk
    grated cedar cheese.

Fry bacon until crisp, remove to paper towels, reserving bacon grease. Saute chopped onion in bacon grease until soft, add burger and brown well. When burger is cooked add tomato soup and garlic and Taco Seasoning mix. Simmer for ten min. Spread burger mixture over the bottom of a 9X14 glass disn of metal pan. Drain the Mexicorn and olives and mix togather. Spread over the burger mixture. Layer on the bacon strips or chopped cooked /crumbled bacon. Lightly sprinkle cheese on top. Take the two Jiffy Corn bread mixes and add a cup or more of milk, mixing well. The batter needs to be runny! Pour the batter over the mixture in the casserole dish, spreading evenly. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. (30 to 45 min)Top with cheese and heat until cheese melts.

oooooooo.....that sounds good!! Venison and bacon...can't go wrong

Thanks for the recipe!

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Once again the casserole was fantastic. Dicing and crumbling the bacon worked much better than layering with strip bacon. By the way, the corn bread adds a bit of sweetness to this caserole, which we think really adds to the taste.

I may have to try this tonight!!! Sadly, it will be with ground beef instead of venison...

AWESOME recipe!!! I substituted one can of tomato soup with one can of Rotel and it was fantastic! Even my wife and mother in law loved!!! Thanks for posting.