Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dumbed Down Society

One of my favorites that we wanted to have put on our uniform shirts.

shirtBack.jpg
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

I always thought it was pathetic how many worthless warnings and signs are in the US. Many are probably for the out of control lawsuit craze but still, many countries I have been to a sign is very important information something to be read. Riptides, crocodiles, hostile border, they don't just create signs for nothing.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

In the US we have worthless signs everywhere.. Ice is slippery, Don't fall off the cliff, Don't walk on the grass, so US people don't have any respect for warnings. People in the US are always like "yeah whatever".

Last edited by ubercrow; 03-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.

sadly they have to put the signs up cause some fool will do it and sue and the owner will lose the case because he didnt have proper warning one of best ones i like is" beware of of dog " on a cyclone fence if the owner didnt care if u got on his property he wouldnt of put the fence up

Well, the needed signs are also part of it. And a side effect of it as well. Quite a few years ago we were building a house at the end of a road. Someone was leaving notes that we should clean up better. Now, this was at the end of a dead end road on private property. Posted private property! So I left a note myself saying that this was not a playground, nor was it a public park. It is a CONSTRUCTION SITE! Never had another note left for us. Two years ago we had a house pretty well framed up, no windows or doors yet, and then we had to pull off to work on another job for awhile. The building inspector called and said that neighbors were complaining because their kids were playing in the house and they were worried that one of them would fall out of a window. Well, maybe you should keep your kids off of the property and on your own place. This was also a remote cabin, probably 1/4 mile or so from the nearest house. So, I went and plywooded all of the openings and put no trespass signs up. Seems kind of like a no brainer to me though, to keep your kids away from a construction site. Course though, I well remember my days as a youngster and all of the places and things I did that could have landed me in hot water or worse.

It seems that a lot of the problems though is that common sense is getting to be a rarity these days.

Banned

What's that saying? Common sense isn't so common anymore.

Here is a sign I found at a reservoir we were camped at. Make sure you don't park in the water.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

What kinda grates ya is the fact that we have to pay for others stupidity.....Government sign in a obvious swamp as part of a survey.

No shut, Dick Tracy
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

you ever see the warnings on some of the small engine mufflers, it says chaud. Guess what that means.

Didn't know they cut grass in France?...or is it Portugal?.......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    you ever see the warnings on some of the small engine mufflers, it says chaud. Guess what that means.
    Yeah, but it's not hot all of the time. False advertising I tell ya.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've known a few fellas that had that "chaud" burned into the palm of their hand LOL. Quick way to learn a foreign language I'd say LOL.

I work in the service department of a car dealership and am daily amazed at the number of grown men who can not check the air pressure in their tires. The low tire warning lamp has made people stupid! Thet tell me, "I saw that light and didn't know what to do."

Quote Originally Posted by harleyrider1 View Post
    I work in the service department of a car dealership and am daily amazed at the number of grown men who can not check the air pressure in their tires. The low tire warning lamp has made people stupid! Thet tell me, "I saw that light and didn't know what to do."
    Yeah, that thing is a PITA...
    Nothing like blasting down the highway, duck boat on the back, full of decoys, blind materials....hunting partner and dog in the truck at O'dark thirty....30 miles from the launch, stupid light goes on 'low tire".....WTF?, which one....visual check show all tires seem up?
    I checked the pressure with my carry around gauge....one tire down to 63 psi.....?

So continue on, most stations open that early can't pump your tires to 65 pounds (recommended) no matter how many quarters you have.
    Launch the boat, load up gear, guns dog , partner, park the truck......not knowing if tire (which one?) is gonna be flat at 7:00 PM in the dark...when we get back.....
    Oh well....time for duck hunting opener.....we will deal with it when we get back to the launch......

Turned out that a dealer service guy had let air out to 64 psi...So when it got cold out, dropped the pressure and the freaking light came on ....just to get my day off to a good start.

Visit to a big rig truck stop solved the problem, bigger air compressor..........hate that light
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-20-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: splin'

OOPS!! Got distracted and double posted. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyrider1 View Post

OOPS!! Got distracted and double posted. Sorry.
    Hope you weren't the one that let the air out of my tires......LOL....I always run them as high as recommended, and they are always dropping them down for "better ride"?

Not me hunter63....LOL... I always set them about 4 psi above what the door calls for. Most people don't realize that recommended air pressure is COLD air pressure. If you drive about 1000 ft, the tires have warmed up considerably. A little extra also makes them wear better.

Good for you......handles better and carries a load better, as well.....
    If your tires squeal going around a corner...pump them up they are too low.