Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good starter recurve that can be uswd for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    Believe it or not my box spring seems to be empty, still using it atm so wife would get angry if I butchered it. lol
    I was thinking more of a large "Catch" to place behind some targets because me and my daughter are new and arrows don't tend to go to the smallish targets every time we yell at em to fly where we want em.

I did see some hurricane targets for less than 30 bucks and they are intended for crossbows so I think they will hold up to a 15~55 lbs recurve.

Side note feathers arrived today and started meddling with making a feather rest.
    A good idea for a target back stop is check out trailer sales places, they use large foam blocks to support the trailers when transported. They are usually happy to give them away.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by wtrfwlr View Post
    Oh Ok, I gotcha. In that case I think that would work just fine and dandy. Be sure and let me know if you and your daughter are able to master the art of yelling arrows to fly right! I could certainly use that technique at times!!! Just jokin!

Good luck with the arrow rest project, I'd enjoy seeing how your idea works out.
    Will take a few photos and post em, trying a riser mounted one first then if that don't work going to do shelf mounted one.

The range here seems to be using these padded sheets stacked one on another BLOCK 48 range targets I think they are called, held together with ratchet ties it looks like, front of that they put several layers of cardboard.

Edit: wondering if I should gap or no.... more traditional would be to not gap? hmmm would be easier to mount the feather rest just on the bottom edge of rest mount plate and then a piece of felt strip right above it to serve as a strike plate. hmmm damn I wish my Bow would come already so I could just set it up and go shoot to test. BTW gorilla glue adheres much better when surfaces are scuffed lol. Had feathers that simply wouldn't stick, took an emry board to the quill edges and a bit of gorilla glue and presto.
    Last edited by Davidlastink; 03-26-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Here are some of the arrow rests on my different bows. This may help give you some ideas.

Here is the arrow rest on my Bear Re-curve. This came from the factory with this rest.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is the rest on my Mathews Long-Bow. I added a layer of felt material, I think it's called 'moleskin,' to the shelf to help tune the arrow flight.

Here is what a put on my self made Osage Orange Long-Bow. It a small piece of deer skin, this simply quiets the release of the arrow. I use the top of my hand for the actual rest. Shooting instinctive you will be surprised at how consistent you can become with your hand placement on the riser with some practice.

Keep in mind that the arrow rest is also a way to tune the bow for proper arrow flight. When you get your bow the folks at the bow shop should be set up to help you get it dialed in by paper tuning. If you are not familiar with this it is simply shooting an arrow through a piece of paper at close range. You can see how the paper tears, either up, down or sideways and that will help you adjust the nock point on the bow string or the location of the arrow rest on the riser. It is also helpful in seeing if there are problems with your shooting form.

Hope this helps some.
    Last edited by wtrfwlr; 03-29-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

2013-04-01_21-14-45_574.jpg2013-04-01_21-14-55_671.jpg2013-04-01_21-15-02_17.jpg2013-04-01_21-15-10_22.jpg2013-04-01_21-15-15_343.jpg

still waiting on my bow.

but here are some pics of the Feather Rest I made.

Martin rest Mount, allows me to bring the rest on center as the riser is a compound riser.
    I decided not to try for a gap.

TY to welder for the suggestion will look into one around here.

Also I was thinking of a bear weather rest, which is what the first one is there wtrfwlr, but I cant shake the idea of as basic as possible. Perhaps one day I will have to take a crack at makin a bow of my own. think Bamboo could work for a simple primitive style bow?