Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good starter recurve that can be uswd for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Gottcha.....Thanks.
    Np. Did some research on shooting compounds intuitive and the thing seems to be to build out the shelf and rider till you can get a good center shot alignment surprised there isn't some sort of rest made just to solve this issue.

So am I....The Browning has been modified with a "whisker rest", and I lined the wood/glass around it with tanned buck skin, make it more quite.
    Hummm....been a while since zi even looked at new bows....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    Np. Did some research on shooting compounds intuitive and the thing seems to be to build out the shelf and rider till you can get a good center shot alignment surprised there isn't some sort of rest made just to solve this issue.
    Well i figure to bring out the cutout of the riser I can use a rest mount... and maybe one furniture pad with a matchstick for the shelf? how does one build up a shelf

I have been away from fooling with my set up,for a long time...... I would have no idea on what's done these days.

I am finding your search and feed back intresting for this reason, and look forward to seeing what you came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have been away from fooling with my set up,for a long time...... I would have no idea on what's done these days.

I am finding your search and feed back intresting for this reason, and look forward to seeing what you came up with.
    You ever use a Para-rest brush mount? I'm thinking a rest mount to bring the arrow in line and cutting the very bottom off of the para-rest brush mount and placing it as close to the shelf as possible. Not exactly %100 off the shelf but hoping to be able to get it within 1/8 or so of an inch.
    So once i get the bow, about 2 weeks will know more. until then All i can do is brainstorm.

Para rest is similar to what I call a brush rest, the bressiles are longer, but are falling out.....and have used and most likely go back to a flip up rest

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

from 3 Rivers Archery and others.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/dura+f..._baseitem.html

Keep us posted, I'm sure a lot of us enjoy your project......

I would be careful about cutting the riser you might hurt the integrity of the bow especially if it is wood.

Most bows now days use arrow rests because it helps your arrow fly straight and true when it leaves your bow any small resistance and your arrow can be all over the place. The way most arrow fletches are it is really hard to shoot off of just the riser of the bow and have the arrow leave nice, because it is leaving with the at least one of the fletches smashed or distorted along with the resistance to the side of the arrow.

You can stick knobs and materials on the bow and try shooting off of them, you will probably find a rest will make a big difference in accuracy. The one like hunter63 posted is cheap, I have shot off of those before and they worked OK.

Quote Originally Posted by ubercrow View Post
    I would be careful about cutting the riser you might hurt the integrity of the bow especially if it is wood....
    I would never cut into a riser, not even close to the knowledge needed to attempt such a thing and if I had it would know better. I was talking about cutting off the bottom of the para-rest brush rest so that it can sit as close to the shelf as possible.

I was looking at that rest seems they are called weather rests, but I'm kinda drawn to the brush rest it seems more basic

"Theoretically" it should allow me to get closer down to the shelf. I really want to learn to shoot instinctively and I already have my feather fletched arrows being made so I really do not need the clearance from the shelf that vanes would.

I look at it like this, at the end of the day if I'm out in the woods and have to fashion a crude bow, I want to know that the effort and time isn't better spent just trying to chuck rocks or get in close with a spear for what I'm hunting. Not saying it will happen but it rubs me the wrong way to think of practicing hours on end to become proficient with a compound and all the tech, but not be able to pick up a primitive bow and still be able to hit the side of a barn. Damned if I will learn a skill that relies on just as much tech as a rifle with less results. ( steps off soap box) but it is a personal pref thing because Primitive traditional or compound it all takes skills, my mine set is just tuned into survival.

So as minimalistic as I can get is my goal, one day when I have $1200 burning a hole in my pocket I'll be able to purchase a nice bow that needs no fiddling with but for now I'm starting out and cheap means u have to be innovative.

*muses to himself* to think I'm saying that basic weatherrest is "high tech"*

Saw a kid shooting his compound this past Saturday and the thing looked like it was about to transform into a car and shoot lasers. It was an easy $1500 setup.
    Then I thought wonder if u shoved a stick bow in his hands and said go catch dinner or starve if he'd be able to pull it off.

Went over to the pro-shop and they will get the martin rest mount and brush rest for me soon. Picked up a cheap dremmel roto tool from Harborfreight and I should be good to go.

Will get rid of the bottom bit of the brush rest to get it as close to the shelf as possible, hoping less than 1/8th of an inch but have to wait till everything arrives to really see how close.

Hi David. I just saw this thread, been working a lot lately and haven't had much time to check in. It's great to hear you are starting down the path of archery and even more so since you also have your daughter as a shooting partner, lucky you.

I would be more than happy to answer whatever questions you may have in your pursuit of archery. I shoot longbows, recurves and compound bows. I both hunt with them and compete in 3-D target events. I have made my own longbow using Osage Orange and also make my own strings and fletch my own arrows too. I don't consider myself an expert but I would be more than happy to help out with any information I can pass along to help you out so just ask away.

Congratulations on your choice of getting a Jaguar, that is a fine bow and you will fall in love with it as soon as you release an arrow from it! I would like to own on of them myself. I shoot a Mathews Heritage Longbow with a Cherry wood riser and Bamboo limbs and I just love to shoot it.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrfwlr View Post
    Hi David. I just saw this thread, been working a lot lately and haven't had much time to check in. It's great to hear you are starting down the path of archery and even more so since you also have your daughter as a shooting partner, lucky you.

I would be more than happy to answer whatever questions you may have in your pursuit of archery. I shoot longbows, recurves and compound bows. I both hunt with them and compete in 3-D target events. I have made my own longbow using Osage Orange and also make my own strings and fletch my own arrows too. I don't consider myself an expert but I would be more than happy to help out with any information I can pass along to help you out so just ask away.

Congratulations on your choice of getting a Jaguar, that is a fine bow and you will fall in love with it as soon as you release an arrow from it! I would like to own on of them myself. I shoot a Mathews Heritage Longbow with a Cherry wood riser and Bamboo limbs and I just love to shoot it.
    Thank you very much, will be picking your brain as I get more into this addiction called archery. Can't wait for my bow to get here.

I built a target out in the garage made from 2x4s, some plywood and rugs. Then I Wrapped it in duct tape and will add some layers of cardboard and replace as needed. Now I just need my bow. Bought my daughter an introductory PSE Razorback Jr. and I'm about to start sneaking out at night when she ain't up just to shoot... she is very protective of HER bow lol.

On a side note: Is free range time for a year normal when you purchase a bow from a pro shop? I picked up my bows from the shop and while they are a bit more expensive than buying online you get a free yrs of range time, when ever they are open. Thought that was an awesome deal.
    Last edited by Davidlastink; 03-17-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Yes many bow shops promote use of their indoor ranges it's a great sales tool for them, if you're in their store you get to surround yourself with all of the goodies they have to offer! It's a good thing to get a relationship with a shop if you have a reputable one close to you, they have tons of knowledge and experience to offer. I've done business with my local guy for many years now and he is a really great guy with a super shop and always takes time to steer me right and is always generous with his time to help 'newbies' to the sport.

I don't know what part of the world you are in but if you're in the USA you can look into a bowhunter association in your state or area. They are good to find 3-D shoots in your area and you can meet other bowyers near you that are thrilled to pass along their knowledge and help out with beginners. These events are also family oriented and will have a whole set up to accommodate your daughter with other young archers.

Welcome to the ranks of sticks and strings, I know you will love it! Just lemme know what I can do to help you and your girl out.

Yes many bow shops promote use of their indoor ranges it's a great sales tool for them, if you're in their store you get to surround yourself with all of the goodies they have to offer! It's a good thing to get a relationship with a shop if you have a reputable one close to you, they have tons of knowledge and experience to offer. I've done business with my local guy for many years now and he is a really great guy with a super shop and always takes time to steer me right and is always generous with his time to help 'newbies' to the sport.

I don't know what part of the world you are in but if you're in the USA you can look into a bowhunter association in your state or area. They are good to find 3-D shoots in your area and you can meet other bowyers near you that are thrilled to pass along their knowledge and help out with beginners. These events are also family oriented and will have a whole set up to accommodate your daughter with other young archers.

Welcome to the ranks of sticks and strings, I know you will love it! Just lemme know what I can do to help you and your girl out.
    will do, I'm in southern Teir of NY around Binghamton. There are league days right in the Shop near me and they setup 3-D range also.

But for now I just want to get my Bow dialed in and get some arrows on target lol. Been playing with a lil' banshee compound which is a hoot. No where near proper form tho, as I would end up breaking the thing if I tried to get it to my draw. My daughter is now insisting that she be accorded her proper amount of range time, she has my after work schedule worked out so that I get 1 hr too my self on Sundays (range closes early) lol.

So still waiting for my bow to get in but have had a few chances to get down to the range with my daughter so she can get her bow tuned in and get some practice. Seems like she is doing really well, or maybe I'm just a proud dad, but she is shooting noticeable groups, close to or on the target paper now and has moved back to 10 yards, in her classes she was at 5 yrds and her arrows were going into other peoples targets/ almost into the ceiling lol. She insists her PSE razorback jr. is the most awesome thing in the world and is a very serious instructor when ever I pick it up to take some shots, which is rarely as I don't wish to invoke her wrath.

Weather has been a weird mess of snow and sun then snow so havn't been shooting out back at all. Have two boxsprings I'm thinking of filling and wrapping then turning the bows loose on em, spring is coming so lots of "old" kid clothes that I can use for fill, even after giving the decently shaped stuff to the salvation army... 3 kids sure make a lot of wasted clothes lol.

Also I ordered some feathers right wing, im a righty, to try my hand at making a feather rest as apposed to a brush rest, more traditional/ survival oriented too my mind anyhow.

Thats awesome your daughter enjoys the bow. To me that is the most important thing for kids to enjoy something then they will more then likely stick with it and have fun.

Archery is such a great hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by ubercrow View Post
    Thats awesome your daughter enjoys the bow. To me that is the most important thing for kids to enjoy something then they will more then likely stick with it and have fun.

Archery is such a great hobby.
    It also surprising how fun it is... My mind can't wrap around it but slinging arrows is so very much fun.

I doubt if you are going to be happy with the box spring target idea. While it is a good idea, I think you will find that the wires inside are going to damage a lot of arrows. If you are not wanting to buy one of the bag targets that are out there you can make one of your own. You can get one of the newer style feed sacks that use the plastic type burlap material and then stuff it tightly with the clothing that you mentioned, also cut up old packing quilts work well too. I would also suggest looking around on Craigslist and E-bay for a good deal on a target. There are several good bag and block targets out there that are reasonable and they last a REALLY long time!

Glad your girl is getting into like she is, sounds like you guys are having a ball! Hope to hear about your own bow soon.

I doubt if you are going to be happy with the box spring target idea. While it is a good idea, I think you will find that the wires inside are going to damage a lot of arrows. If you are not wanting to buy one of the bag targets that are out there you can make one of your own. You can get one of the newer style feed sacks that use the plastic type burlap material and then stuff it tightly with the clothing that you mentioned, also cut up old packing quilts work well too. I would also suggest looking around on Craigslist and E-bay for a good deal on a target. There are several good bag and block targets out there that are reasonable and they last a REALLY long time!

Glad your girl is getting into like she is, sounds like you guys are having a ball! Hope to hear about your own bow soon.
    Believe it or not my box spring seems to be empty, still using it atm so wife would get angry if I butchered it. lol
    I was thinking more of a large "Catch" to place behind some targets because me and my daughter are new and arrows don't tend to go to the smallish targets every time we yell at em to fly where we want em.

I did see some hurricane targets for less than 30 bucks and they are intended for crossbows so I think they will hold up to a 15~55 lbs recurve.

Side note feathers arrived today and started meddling with making a feather rest.

I used to shoot at a range that used the compacted cardboard bales for targets they worked pretty good they would put some tin on the top so they didn't get wet, they are heavy though like 300lbs. If you know a store that might give you one it could be a cheap option.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    Believe it or not my box spring seems to be empty, still using it atm so wife would get angry if I butchered it. lol
    I was thinking more of a large "Catch" to place behind some targets because me and my daughter are new and arrows don't tend to go to the smallish targets every time we yell at em to fly where we want em.

I did see some hurricane targets for less than 30 bucks and they are intended for crossbows so I think they will hold up to a 15~55 lbs recurve.

Side note feathers arrived today and started meddling with making a feather rest.
    Oh Ok, I gotcha. In that case I think that would work just fine and dandy. Be sure and let me know if you and your daughter are able to master the art of yelling arrows to fly right! I could certainly use that technique at times!!! Just jokin!

Good luck with the arrow rest project, I'd enjoy seeing how your idea works out.