Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cougar hunting

Default cougar hunting

I may get a chance to hunt a cougar that has been attacking a ladies horses that I know. It clawed up a yearling a few nites ago and she's still finding fresh tracks and evidence that it hasn't moved on.

What is the best tactic to use? Does anyone have any tips or tricks or useful info to help my success?

And yes I know dinner and drinks works also but i'm after the 4 legged kind.

(Dinner....and....drinks) Oh, don't mind me. I'm just taking a few notes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I guess I never gave a cougar hunt a thought.......(4 legged).
    Intresting to hunt something that can hunt you back.
    Will be watching for responses.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

"Interesting" is not a word the comes quickly to mind when I think of something that can hunt me. Help, does. Mayday, does, Holy Crap Get Me Out of Here, does. But not "interesting".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I had a chance last year but passed it up for just that reason, but this is a single mother with young kids and it kind of seems like the thing to do. She was going to call the DNR and see how quick they would come out to trap it and relocate it and IF they still did that. It sounded like she'd rather do that but if they don't trap them she realizes something needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    "Interesting" is not a word the comes quickly to mind when I think of something that can hunt me. Help, does. Mayday, does, Holy Crap Get Me Out of Here, does. But not "interesting".
    That word covers a lot of ground, "intresting", but is more reserved than say, "Holy Crap".,,,and if you run just be faster than your hunting buddy.

So how does one hunt couger?.
    Bait pile and tree stand comes to mind....Yeah I know...They can climb trees, makes it hard to run....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you are in a tree stand doesn't that make you the bait pile?

My best guess would be is to hunt a cougar with dogs. If I was to try to still hunt one maybe predator calling and a setup similar to bobcat and coyote hunting would work.

Hunter63....I may be in trouble because i'll probably bring my 15 year old long legged son, after 25 years of smoking i'm betting he outruns me

Judging from the amount of territory a domestic cat covers, i'm thinking a big cat covers ALOT of country. Am I correct in this assumption?

Dog's or Trap's, and yes they can cover up to 50 to 100 sq.miles. The ones we hunt around here have a range of 25 to 50 sq. miles just depends on the food in the area. I have friends that have called them in, but I never have. I've had Bobcat's come in on a call.
    Last edited by Woodmaster750; 07-20-2011 at 04:19 AM.

There is abundent food goats, some sheep, and deer, and deer, and deer. Did I mention deer? Under conditions like that are they more home bodies?

Yes. You have set Him or Her one fine table..LOL

Dogs are the only way to go. If I could not get dogs, then I would set up on the live stock at night on a full moon if it were legal. they are tricky boogers.

I hope you are legal in shooting one. If you did that here, loss of license, loss of rifle, a fine, lawyer bill etc. Of course the wardens say they don't exist here, but there are still sightings.

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    I hope you are legal in shooting one. If you did that here, loss of license, loss of rifle, a fine, lawyer bill etc. Of course the wardens say they don't exist here, but there are still sightings.
    Thats funny, they used to say that about Texas (that there were none here), Then they protected them, then offered a reward for evidence that they existed here. Now it is accepted that they are here. Same thing with bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
    Dogs are the only way to go. If I could not get dogs, then I would set up on the live stock at night on a full moon if it were legal. they are tricky boogers.
    Same thing they say here in Kansas! MORONS! They didn't believe there were bear here till chased(45yrs ago) When Yellowstone burned, the "traveling Moose" chased some wardens up trees, but didn't
    even pay attention to the civilians! hehehehe

Why not bait it in to a lit location?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Why not bait it in to a lit location?
    Thats the next best option if its legal. Baiting at night is absolute murder on pigs.

This isn't a hunting situation though, it's livestock protection.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.